What do your plants know?

• Thread starter ComfortablyNumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Plants see you. In fact, plants monitor their visible environment all the time. Plants see if you come near them; they know when you stand over them. They even know if you’re wearing a blue or a red shirt. They know if you’ve painted your house or if you’ve moved their pots from one side of the living room to the other. Plants perceive light because they have color receptors for blue and red light. Color receptors tell the plant the length of days and seasons. They use this information to judge when to bloom, when leaves should change and when to go dormant for the winter. When a lima bean plant is eaten by beetles, it responds in two ways. The leaves that are being eaten by the insects release a mixture of volatile chemicals into the air, and the flowers (though not directly attacked by the beetles) produce a nectar that attracts beetle-eating arthropods. Simply touching an arabidopsis leaf [related to mustard and cabbages] results in a rapid change in the genetic makeup of the plant . . . An arabidopsis plant that’s touched a few times a day in the lab will be much squatter, and flower much later, than one that’s left to its own accord. Simply stroking its leaves three times a day completely changes its physical development. (1)

Marshall, Perry. Evolution 2.0 (p. 118). BenBella Books, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
1.Chamovitz, D. (2012). What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses. New York: Macmillan.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Plants see you. In fact, plants monitor their visible environment all the time. Plants see if you come near them; they know when you stand over them. They even know if you’re wearing a blue or a red shirt. They know if you’ve painted your house or if you’ve moved their pots from one side of the living room to the other. Plants perceive light because they have color receptors for blue and red light. Color receptors tell the plant the length of days and seasons. They use this information to judge when to bloom, when leaves should change and when to go dormant for the winter. When a lima bean plant is eaten by beetles, it responds in two ways. The leaves that are being eaten by the insects release a mixture of volatile chemicals into the air, and the flowers (though not directly attacked by the beetles) produce a nectar that attracts beetle-eating arthropods. Simply touching an arabidopsis leaf [related to mustard and cabbages] results in a rapid change in the genetic makeup of the plant . . . An arabidopsis plant that’s touched a few times a day in the lab will be much squatter, and flower much later, than one that’s left to its own accord. Simply stroking its leaves three times a day completely changes its physical development. (1)

1.Chamovitz, D. (2012). What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses. New York: Macmillan.
Who's squished your buds in early weeks of flower? Lol those pistils die back pretty fast.

Good stuff.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

This is from some of my reading.
After I shared this with my wife, she was like, "We knew this long ago." meaning people that talk to plants.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Does this mean we will be calling plants to testify?

Plant: "Yes your Honor, After he cut my legs off, he put me in a sack and tried to kill me with thirst. Then he lit me on fire after rolling me in paper."

Cypress66

Cypress66

Very interesting and informative the way that it smells even though it is appealing to us the plants are in a defensive mode like a regular skunk lol 😂 was watching a great documentary on david Attenborough one of the many he made but he was saying that this tree that is favoured by giraffes and they are probably the only one thing that can reach it but the point is that the tree is aware of it being fed on and it will put out a poison and the giraffes are aware of that so they will only eat so much that must have took them out a few times before they worked it out but amazing great thread peace ✌️

Cypress66

Cypress66

They know when you are sleeping
They know when you're awake
They know if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake
What do they do when you have been bad? You get low yield and if you’re good you will get a good one lol wouldn’t it be nice if they were able to talk to you about the food and they said that they would get fatter and better if you eased up the n and the calming and more light and more k and the plants are in the cafeteria and ordering a bit of food for themselves and your the chef is very much what you are doing anyway without the talking to them and then you have to have the plants approval from the reaction like ghosttranix said you have to become one with the plants they are living and they are like you and me in the way they have needs keeping them happy and they are good to you but they are not going to be doing what you want if you’re not they will sulk like we do and the growth is poor they are probably the most important thing that I’ve ever been involved in the past fourty years growing for the last ten of them has been the best thing to happen in the learning of the plants in their quality and the cost and the shit that i would be paying for the plants and the whole thing is the best thing to happen to me and I wish I had done it years ago but I’m still learning and the way they have to have the things they need to do their thing they will never be doing anything without a reason they are a fascinating and very big part of my life that I will never be changing and I don’t have any reservations about that it is a lifeline for the nation and that’s the truth smoke and be happy 😃 peace ✌️

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

What do they do when you have been bad? You get low yield and if you’re good you will get a good one lol wouldn’t it be nice if they were able to talk to you about the food and they said that they would get fatter and better if you eased up the n and the calming and more light and more k and the plants are in the cafeteria and ordering a bit of food for themselves and your the chef is very much what you are doing anyway without the talking to them and then you have to have the plants approval from the reaction like ghosttranix said you have to become one with the plants they are living and they are like you and me in the way they have needs keeping them happy and they are good to you but they are not going to be doing what you want if you’re not they will sulk like we do and the growth is poor they are probably the most important thing that I’ve ever been involved in the past fourty years growing for the last ten of them has been the best thing to happen in the learning of the plants in their quality and the cost and the shit that i would be paying for the plants and the whole thing is the best thing to happen to me and I wish I had done it years ago but I’m still learning and the way they have to have the things they need to do their thing they will never be doing anything without a reason they are a fascinating and very big part of my life that I will never be changing and I don’t have any reservations about that it is a lifeline for the nation and that’s the truth smoke and be happy 😃 peace ✌️
I nominate you to start writing the first Universal Human/Plant translator. You may begin at your leisure.

Cypress66

Cypress66

I nominate you to start writing the first Universal Human/Plant translator. You may begin at your leisure.
When I’ve swapped my legs for roots I will begin my life in plant form and I will be ordering a nice bit of double cheese and a half of the good things that I will get nice and plump and they have the best tasting cheese I’ve ever had in a very long transition from human to plant form I will be back for a regular update on the progress I’ve had a few years as a human and the time is right now I’m not going to be getting any concerns or doubts about the transition but the staying rooted in the one place is going to be boring I think some regular scenery changes are probably not a bad idea 💡 I will be back in a bit but I’m sure that you’re the one who has a ability for being in touch with your plants in your post and the plants awareness and the ability of them and the plants are very clever but you have to keep them happy 😃 or look out peace ✌️ was thinking about the time of the life that I will be living not long I think I’m going to be becoming a evergreen plant and then I’ll live a long time that will be better or a mother plant that you will be keeping for a good few years

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Evergreen. Yeah, I can handle that although I prefer a Redwood. 2,000 years old.... What those trees have seen.....

Cypress66

Cypress66

Evergreen. Yeah, I can handle that although I prefer a Redwood. 2,000 years old.... What those trees have seen.....
Yeah they have a lot of stories to tell you are talking some real age of living there is a lot of different things you have learned and seeing how many things change and your still there and growing your roots and your limbs are getting stronger and stronger how old is the limit you are going to be able to get your life could be a never ending one Christ the stories you will have to tell you are right about the redwood and I’ll be going for that so I will be a semi matured one at the age of fifty five and I will have the ability to grow and smoke weed somehow I don’t know how that one would work but it is a must for me and the strains that are out there I will get to smoke and grow all of them fantastic I love this idea every time I’ve been doing that thinking about it and I will be known as old and wise and medicated red is so good I cannot wait is a natural way of living and your life is a lot more of a joyful and productive life and the asshole people that are out there you wouldn’t have to deal with it cannot get any better just call me red and feed me and I’ll be good to you and tell you all my secrets peace and love 💕 is the best thing you can have for the rest of your life you have always got your sunshine rivers and trees and that’s all you need to live life is all there and all the things that are out there are there for you to use your reason for your use of them are always your own thing and that’s the way it should be peace ✌️

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Santa isn’t real… and if plants care can they feel? At that point veganism is murder and x is y 1 is 0 and everything we know is a virtual simulation of reality… meh

Cypress66

Cypress66

Santa isn’t real… and if plants care can they feel? At that point veganism is murder and x is y 1 is 0 and everything we know is a virtual simulation of reality… meh
I would say that plants have feelings but they are not as sensitive as you and me you can see it in some plants that are not happy with the way you have taken the limbs off the topping and the heavy defoiliating has been a very good way for showing this with certain plants some plants are not very happy with the results and they will get the hump and they will take longer to get it back on track or they will be happy with it and they will continue as if they have not been touched who says that Santa is not really the one who will be coming down the chimney i still leave a carrot 🥕 and a mince pie by the fireplace and they are always half eaten in the morning and it ain’t me can’t stand them anyway what do you consider real life and what they will tell you what is the normal way they have a lot to answer for peace ✌️

Top Bottom