What does hybrid vigor look like? Are traits of hybrid f1 generation equally shared?

• Thread starter mrblackberrycrush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrblackberrycrush

mrblackberrycrush

I know in the f2 and folowing generations the heterozygous traits start to appear which breeders can select and self or back cross to the parents... but what exactly does an f1 hybrid look like?

Is it simply just 50% from each parent?

-I.E. 15% CBD strain crossed with 15% thc will produce 50/50 thc/cbd ratio of around 7.5% thc and cbd?
-I.E. a short indica strain crossed with a tall sativa strain will produce a plant medium size?
-I.E. a ducksfoot plant crossed with normal leaf plant will produce something in between the two leaf morphologies?

Kron3007

Kron3007

Hybrid vigoir, or heterosis, is simply the phenomenon when a cross between two lines is more vigorous than either parent. Not all crosses will exhibit heterosis, and it is most common with crosses between genetically distance parents.

This will mostly be seen in the F1 generation and disappear with subsequent generations. It most definitely will not increase with back crossing.

As for the traits you are asking about, that is completely separate from heterosis and will be inherited based on the genetic basis of the specific trait such as how many genes are involved and their interactions.

mrblackberrycrush

mrblackberrycrush

Hybrid vigoir, or heterosis, is simply the phenomenon when a cross between two lines is more vigorous than either parent. Not all crosses will exhibit heterosis, and it is most common with crosses between genetically distance parents.

This will mostly be seen in the F1 generation and disappear with subsequent generations. It most definitely will not increase with back crossing.

As for the traits you are asking about, that is completely separate from heterosis and will be inherited based on the genetic basis of the specific trait such as how many genes are involved and their interactions.

Thanks for clearing that up Kron3007, i really appreciate it.

So generally, will the f1 generations which are the offspring of two different parents show equally in their phenotype? Or is what you are saying an answer to that in that it depends on how many genes are involved? I'm just looking for a general answer here. What is usually the case that most breeders find? 50% split? -I.E. 15% CBD strain crossed with 15% thc will produce 50/50 thc/cbd ratio of around 7.5% thc and cbd?

Kron3007

Kron3007

The uniformity of the F1 cross will depend on the specifics of the parents and how fixed they are. For most crops, commercial F1 hybrid seed is produced from highly inbred lines where most of their traits are fixed. In this scenario, the F1 hybrid seed is almost genetically identical.

If the parents are more heterozygous, there will be more variability in the F1.

When discussing specific traits, this will depend on the number of genes and how they interact. For THC/CBD, the offspring will typically be in between the parents, but there are multiple CBD and THC synthase genes and it will not necessarily be uniform in the F1, but could be depending on the parents.

Top Bottom