What Grow Method For Highest Yield In 3x3x6 Tent?

• Thread starter NoThc4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NoThc4me

Its all a learning experience my dude. I spent at least a few hundred i didnt need to on my very first setup (check it out i just posted it in general indoor growing) learn from it. Backup equipment comes in handy sometimes too. Im sure it isnt a total waste. People make pretty decent crops with cfls. But 6 cfls @ 50 each?
I bought my 400w hps ballast, glass enclosed hood and a bulb for 200$ altogether my dude. Local hydro stores will generally cut you a good deal if you let them know your on a tight budget. Are those the self ballast cfls? Very cool man. Dont let those go! Keep working on that heat issue.

If nothing else, maybe a bigger fan blowing across the cfls might help, those looks a little dinky. Something with higher power should help. Maybe some more power to your exhaust out. An exhaust fan eith a higher cfm rating? I cant tell what your running.
Temps above 80 arent good, i read it slows down growth and opens the door for pests, diseases... That sort of thing.

Is the ac inside the tent? Does the tent stay closed?

I agree about having backup and learning as you go. Exhaust fan is 240 but with filter and ducting probably only 70%. Still plenty I think. I couldnt justify the added electricity and noise. Might as well buy the air cooled hid instead. Those little fans keep the lights cool to the touch. Its the ambient temp that is the battle. No ac in tent. Is that possible? Tent closed for 12/12 to keep light out. Other light in the room.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

I agree about having backup and learning as you go. Exhaust fan is 240 but with filter and ducting probably only 70%. Still plenty I think. I couldnt justify the added electricity and noise. Might as well buy the air cooled hid instead. Those little fans keep the lights cool to the touch. Its the ambient temp that is the battle. No ac in tent. Is that possible? Tent closed for 12/12 to keep light out. Other light in the room.

What i do is vent direct from my enclosed light hood. Out of the grow space, out a window. And then new air coming in is from an exhaust fan, directed INTO the bottom of my grow space. My grow space is Kind of like a tent inside a bedroom

I got the window blocked off with panda film, and a split ac unit that comes on about 30 minutes before my hps. The entry fan sucks air from right next to the ac. i even blocked off around the ac and the vent in, sort of boxing it in. Only like this can i keep my temps under 80.

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

You mean a single hid or cfl? Hid would burn the plants in the center from direct contact and only one of the cfls wouldnt be enought light, correct?
No, I mean a 600 hps...it only needs a foot away from the plants...the fan blowing up on it cools it down and I ran the plants within 6" and no bleaching or burning...

N

NoThc4me

No, I mean a 600 hps...it only needs a foot away from the plants...the fan blowing up on it cools it down and I ran the plants within 6" and no bleaching or burning...
Interesting... How did you keep the plants from growing into the light? My tent is only 3x3 so a foot away in each direction would only leave a 6" perimeter for growing.

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

use trellis to hold them back...or tie the branches back...

N

NoThc4me

use trellis to hold them back...or tie the branches back...

I gotcha... So you would have the bulb with no reflector about half-way up? In theory the yield should be much higher because you're using much more square feet. 3ft x 5-6ft times 3 walls of the tent. Did you use a 3x3 ten? That would suck to get all the way to flower and burn the buds.

RG420

RG420

Looks really good. When do you trim all the underneath foliage? Do you do it gradually or all at once? Can you clarify "dual spec"? Thanks

I trim in 2 stages at 7 days in and at 14 days in, duel spectrum bulbs not sure the exact % but there like 70% red spectrum and 30% blue spectrum.

N

NoThc4me

Thanks... Just to be sure, you don't trim at all until 7 and 14 days after swutching to 12/12 light? Do you cut clones in veg too? I managed to trim 30 clones from the underside of my scrog before flowering, but I think I may have slowed growth too much and possibly shocked them.

Have you tried 1 or 2 larger plants vs. 4 smaller? Lastly... Did you top them a lot early on to get that branching?

DrFever

DrFever

So are you running the 600 watter in there ??? that would be killer if you could keep temps in check with little veg time one plant would be the answer I usually scrog 5 x 5 area's under bigger power , 34 gallon totes flip when screens are 3/4 full and super crop non stop even in transition to keep canopy equal and stretching plant out side ways
but 600 watts at 66.6 watts per Sq foot would seriously destroy that dual spec @ 44 watts per , your growth rates would be double literally,, 400 watts on plants is like watching paint dry haha with growth rates ,, only time i will use 400's is double stacked vertical in corners then they will produce :) but to each there own 400 singles just never liked them
important thing when scrogging is know your strain many people start training to soon wasting lots of plant , figure out your plant height where you want it done let plant grow up top and crop prune plants in veg and upto second week of flower is what i do plants in veg 5 gallon totes in there training stage then up plant into 30 plus gallon totes for tree scrogs 7 3/4 pounds from 3 k vegged 5 1/2 weeks
Here is a sorta a scrog i am doing out door one plant 3.5 x 8 :) have another 2.5 feet to go or so she is going to be a monster yeild
IMG264
IMG2307
Picture1112

Picture294lk
DSCF2494
Last edited:
johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

I gotcha... So you would have the bulb with no reflector about half-way up? In theory the yield should be much higher because you're using much more square feet. 3ft x 5-6ft times 3 walls of the tent. Did you use a 3x3 ten? That would suck to get all the way to flower and burn the buds.

I ran six plants with a 600 in a 4x4..you run it with no reflector, bare bulb...you need a fan blowing straight up from the floor, then extract with a scrubber at the top...the fan blowing up on the bulb does help keep the temps down around the bulb...I pretty much had plants surrounding the bulb, tie the branches up to the ceiling and you won't need to worry about it.

N

NoThc4me

I think I might try that next time, even if I dont switch to hps. I could hang the 250 cfls vertically top to bottom. Without the metal reflectors and in vertical position the heat would probably be much more manageable. Although with the cfls the plants can basically be touching the bulbs so it would be a lot denser growth out from the walls. It would be like a sideways scrog basically with the popcorn buds closest to walls as opposed to bottom. Probably be too hard to prune that part. Would have to just let it grow. With ghe hps needing more distance it would only allow for maybe a 6 inch deep grow against the walls so no pruning would be needed for popcorn. Does that make sense? I cant bring myself to just not use the 2700k cfls when I have them. I want to get my money out kf them @ $40 or $50 a piece. Forgot exact cost. What size containers did you use with 6 plants?

Last edited:
B

Ben Marc

Id be considering changing up to that 600w LED's later on, yet grow a few harvests out with those cfls perceive how it goes. You can simply utilize them as supplemental light in the event that you decided to overhaul. In any case, i have an inclination that id burrow vegging under a few those gentlemen, they put out a huge amount of lumens and function admirably suspended in the middle of plants on a level plane with no hood.

Perhaps Save cash on power just running a Aeon Grow LED's for blossoming.

N

NoThc4me

Id be considering changing up to that 600w LED's later on, yet grow a few harvests out with those cfls perceive how it goes. You can simply utilize them as supplemental light in the event that you decided to overhaul. In any case, i have an inclination that id burrow vegging under a few those gentlemen, they put out a huge amount of lumens and function admirably suspended in the middle of plants on a level plane with no hood.

Perhaps Save cash on power just running a Aeon Grow LED's for blossoming.

That's what I've decided to do. I should at least see what the results are like before I move on to other lighting.

Here is one I have plants vegging under right now. Is this what you're talking about or do you mean for the light to be hanging above the canopy? What do you think the difference would be as far as yield and light distribution if I were to hang the 3 in the tent vertically like this, only above the canopy instead of in the center of the plants? The heat would drop down a lot without the hoods.

I bought a lux meter and discovered that directly under the bulbs, the reading is around 250 whereas on the perimeter it drops to as low as 30. So I raised the hoods up in order to get more even coverage. They went from about 3" to 6" above canopy. I also used my laser thermometer to measure the temp at different levels and realized that the lights were heating up the thermometer I had in the tent with radiant heat and causing it to read much higher. So now I'm getting 75 degrees at canopy level with the window AC in the room set at 67, tent closed.

B

Ben Marc

That's what I've decided to do. I should at least see what the results are like before I move on to other lighting.

Here is one I have plants vegging under right now. Is this what you're talking about or do you mean for the light to be hanging above the canopy? What do you think the difference would be as far as yield and light distribution if I were to hang the 3 in the tent vertically like this, only above the canopy instead of in the center of the plants? The heat would drop down a lot without the hoods.

I bought a lux meter and discovered that directly under the bulbs, the reading is around 250 whereas on the perimeter it drops to as low as 30. So I raised the hoods up in order to get more even coverage. They went from about 3" to 6" above canopy. I also used my laser thermometer to measure the temp at different levels and realized that the lights were heating up the thermometer I had in the tent with radiant heat and causing it to read much higher. So now I'm getting 75 degrees at canopy level with the window AC in the room set at 67, tent closed.

View attachment 526614 View attachment 526614

This is great to see th use of farming LED's ...the look and increase in growth is just fine enough!
Am having an Aeon Grow Led's experience and its also going great..I just wanted to be my farm like this which I attached in image and with all myfine research I got them as best Led's for my plants..

You need to hand your Led's above to your plants so that the heat temperature and light itself could have balance approach in nourishing plants.

HYDRO 19
Taiwan fig5
Top Bottom