What helps makes a special strain.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The problem is that when seed companies pick phenos, they pick the ones that thrive best in their conditions which are often very different than the conditions of the average home grower. For example some strains do a lot better under hps but not as well under LEDs and that is likely because the facility that produced the seeds used hps or more red oriented lights. So when people just look for the coolest looking or highest yielding strain, they are often disappointed because the have different conditions than the producer of the seeds.

I agree with this. Its proof of how important environment is. We talk of genetics. Thats genotype. But phenotype is created by our personal conditions.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yea, that's kinda one of the things I've addressed in my frankenstein strain, it's made to grow well under most any conditions (wet, humid, and cold tolerant), although I don't know how well it would do in an type of extreme heat environment, or drought conditions, probably not as well at all, as say the thai lines might. Anyhow, mold and the wet was a big consideration of mine while I've been cultivated this strain, and the overall potency and size.

As for the plants that are really fussy, I've begun to notice that many sativas appear to be the fussiest strains that I come across, as long as there's some indica dominance in a strain, I think, it's generally going to be a more resilient and easier to grow. For whatever reason, it's usually some type of sativa genes that are the origins of most of my problems. (certainly not all of them, but some).

the blue lemon thai hybrids are truly sensitive. Very difficult to grow to potential. The difference between my first ones. Which came out light and happy and flavorful and the plants i harvest now which are much harder hitting and get you mind and body high for hours.

it my experience that made the difference. Not the genetics. They were better than i could grow at first.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
the blue lemon thai hybrids are truly sensitive. Very difficult to grow to potential. The difference between my first ones. Which came out light and happy and flavorful and the plants i harvest now which are much harder hitting and get you mind and body high for hours.

it my experience that made the difference. Not the genetics. They were better than i could grow at first.
Bingo, envronment and the grower. The genetics were there, but they come out one time, but not another. I've seen it over and over again.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Have any of you actually purchased bad marijuana seeds? I would only deal with an established quality breeder but i have never seen shitty pot. Just bad grows.

I mean even 7% thc columbian from the 80ā€™s got us toasted.
Lol oh man, ive sprouted some bad genetics for sure. I really only want to keep close to 5% of the seeds i crack. Most of the strains i keep are hunted from a ton of phenos and given to me as clones.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

no offense but you must be a new grower.

i mostly agree with his statement. Most dont get anywhere near the potential of the genetics they posess. Especially new growers with very difficult genetics like diesel or thai hybrids.

A new grower would do much better with a nice white rhino or northern lights.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

šŸ¦
Supporter
i mostly agree with his statement. Most dont get anywhere near the potential of the genetics they posess. Especially new growers with very difficult genetics like diesel or thai hybrids.

A new grower would do much better with a nice white rhino or northern lights.
I started off with difficult strains and they ended up doing terrible but then I tried northern lights and GG4 and they did really well.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I started off with difficult strains and they ended up doing terrible but then I tried northern lights and GG4 and they did really well.
Actually, I've not had any problems with GG#4 so far, knock on wood. Seems like a stable cultivar to me, from what I've seen so far.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Couldnt disagree more. Ive seen some of the most talented growers in dialed in environments go through hit and miss with genetics over and over. Some strains suck.. some are awesome. But the amazing grower with a perfect environment will never make a shit strain good.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lol oh man, ive sprouted some bad genetics for sure. I really only want to keep close to 5% of the seeds i crack. Most of the strains i keep are hunted from a ton of phenos and given to me as clones.

My experience with seeds is much different. I have consistently grown 4-8 oz hybrids that sold out immediately from any seed i have planted for years. Sure some came out better or worse but that is mostly my doing. A lot of times i took a late flower cut and tried again with way better results if i was unhappy.

But i have stuck to old companies that had the best plants imo. No ā€œcookiesā€ or ā€œcakesā€ or ā€œfruitcakeā€. I think that is where breeders went awry.

Some new strains taste real good but still give a flat unhappy high. I grabbed a sweet strain from HSC. Caramel cream. Curious of it has any depth.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Couldnt disagree more. Ive seen some of the most talented growers in dialed in environments go through hit and miss with genetics over and over. Some strains suck.. some are awesome. But the amazing grower with a perfect environment will never make a shit strain good.

can you give an example of a shit strain?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

šŸ¦
Supporter
Ok but nobody is going to get bad genetics and of the good ones, the difference in quality is not a lot compared to the rest of the variables. I don't know if that makes any sense. Mainly what's for sale is good genetics.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter

It's true, everything you say. I just I don't come across all that many "shit strains" anymore. Maybe I'm lucky. But I do notice substansal differences between one grow, and another grow of the same exact lines, so it leads me to believe it wasn't a problem with the genetics, but a problem with the environment, or with me, the grower.

But of course I'm splitting hairs again. Because I'm talking about a very small difference. Like one will get you high in say 5-7 hits, or smoke a joint, (depending on tolerance) vs the one that blows your skull cap off in a couple of hits, and your forced to set it down because you feel like your gonna "die"

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hey, now that your around, I got a question for you. Do you think some calcium nitrate might help restore a bit of the green in these leaves?

well i would flush her out some. Take readings and then feed a complete balanced fertilizer so i know she has everything she needs.

the striping on the leaves is showing a lot of nutrient stress.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

šŸ¦
Supporter
It's true, everything you say. I just I don't come across all that many "shit strains" anymore. Maybe I'm lucky. But I do notice substansal differences between one grow, and another grow of the same exact lines, so it leads me to believe it wasn't a problem with the genetics, but a problem with the environment, or the grower.
Exactly

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ok but nobody is going to get bad genetics and of the good ones, the difference in quality is not a lot compared to the rest of the variables. I don't know if that makes any sense. Mainly what's for sale is good genetics.

That is my opinion too but @Dirtbag and his friends have seen a whole lot more stuff than i ever will. I think the legal and decriminalized market brings greed and competition which results in many shortcuts being taken.

I wouldnt bother with 90% of the popular breeders on instagram today.

But i trust every seed shantibaba put out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom