What Influences Flavor More... HPS or MH?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm scratching my head on the last grow. During flowering, the smell ws overpowering and everything looked great. After harvest, I'm noticing that I don't seem to have the strong taste or smell that I had while flowering. I used as 1000w HPS for half the room, 1000w 10K MH on the other half. I didn't see the frostiness that I expected, either. I never used to use HPS lighting before and while the quantity and size of the buds seem to have increased, the frostiness and the taste seem to have devcreased. I've grwn for years and haven't changed much major other than the bulbs during flowering. During vegging they get a steady diet of MH sylvania bulbs.
So my question for both the scientists out there as well as some of the ones with practical experience... does using a HPS diminish the trichome production? I'm having a hard time telling which effect if from MH bulbs, HPS bulbs, and the different strains that all act differently under them. I should go back to the old stuff again!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I find that backing off the hps a few inches during ripening increases potency and flavor. And visible frostiness. :-)

And that is with 600’s in air cooled glass reflectors. I imagine its even more important under your open 1000’s.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I find that backing off the hps a few inches during ripening increases potency and flavor. And visible frostiness. :-)

And that is with 600’s in air cooled glass reflectors. I imagine its even more important under your open 1000’s.
I had an issue with mites (again!) and rinsed off the buds after cutting but before drying. No soap or other stuff was used, just water from a hose. I'm wondering if the rinsing could have affected the flavor and taste? The potency is fine, it just doesn't have the taste and aroma that I am used to getting. Frustrating isn't the word!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I had an issue with mites (again!) and rinsed off the buds after cutting but before drying. No soap or other stuff was used, just water from a hose. I'm wondering if the rinsing could have affected the flavor and taste? The potency is fine, it just doesn't have the taste and aroma that I am used to getting. Frustrating isn't the word!

Well the stress from the root aphids i had sure changed the outcome of a few cuts i was running for the worse.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

How do you know what your buds tasted likes during flower? Licking them?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You never sample the product before deciding if it was ready? Quick drying it for the purposes of impatience doesn't usually have a great taste, but will give you an idea of things to come. Or not to come.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
You never sample the product before deciding if it was ready? Quick drying it for the purposes of impatience doesn't usually have a great taste, but will give you an idea of things to come. Or not to come.

Don;t feed the troll..

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter

I'm going to make it my personal mission to see you removed from this fucking board.

your responcses are trollish at best and bullshit at worst.

you offer nothing in the way of advancement and offer everything in the way of unhelpful dick responses.

If anyone values your account over anyone who actually helps, I've lost faith in this spot..

Poof be gone.

Top Bottom