What inspired you to farm differently?

• Thread starter UCtestn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

UCtestn

I would like to read diaries, posts, or articles that inspired you to continue to grow, go bigger, be more efficient or simply change something in your garden.

I'll start:
One of my biggest inspirations to go bigger was "The Warehouse" grow diary on the farm... I can't seem to find it, so I'll post pics I downloaded. Love the apparent yield from 36 ladies.

What inspired you to farm differently 3

What inspired you to farm differently 4

What inspired you to farm differently

What inspired you to farm differently 2

What inspired you?

R

RMCG

I loved that thread. Too bad it was sort of 'Wham Bam Thank you Maam' and out.

Used to do dirt and pro-mix in 3/5g pails. Saw dutch trays and RW in HT here:

high_times_254.jpg

Went that route with cubes and slabs, after getting sick of driving around with a full pickup bed of used media hitting different landfills, switched to 4x4 cubes on trays only. Ran that way for a while, then back to promix on drippers. Hated the babysitting aspect of it. Switched to OD only, but then got tired of mixed results due to varied weather year to year.

Gave it up for a bit, busy with life.

Saw the MPB's and UC's and Trees and was floored.

TK and Jack's threads on the UC made my head spin with ideas. I like the automation aspects that were possible. I can have a garden AND a life.

Not saying I won't switch it up again, but digging these things...

Best of all, very little media! a 50L bag of hydroton is 'waste' per run.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ahhh.... I've made the decision to do as little indoor farming as possible, and the outdoor I'm planning (right as I type this) is going to be as close to a fully organic, soil food web application, including crop rotation (I haz BEANS! As in soup beans, dry bush beans, the good stuff, the magical fruit), as I can pull off. And it's directly to do with the same reasons why I won't take HRT (hormone replacement therapy) or birth control, because it truly affects the whole environment.

I can have an impact in a much broader sense than I ever really appreciated before, much of it has to do with recent reading on ag practices, food deserts, CSAs, and how soil health/mineralization affects all of our overall food nutrition. I can start small, see what I can do, do my best and go from there. Non-GMO, organic, heirloom and rare food plants, so we can eat.

My organic soil food web cannabis is, BY FAR, my best product. So, I've gotta rock it where I can rock it hardest, ya know?

Struck a deal with a guy with a big Kubota and we're going to terrace our property, which is mostly a south-facing slope that's currently too steep for me to work well.

Other growers have inspired me as well.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

for me, I was going to go with the Stink method... however after finding the Farm... I have decided to go with the UC method. Reasons... The sb method required alot of plant and that to me was just unpreductive. I wanted less plants, less lighting, and more efficient.

Hence... 27 gal/totes, 4 1k lights and a mini split. Bigger trees with efficient lighting layout = less light stress and heat stress on the plants in order for them to do their job.... in theory. Going to be testing it out... stay tuned.

K eep
I t
S imple
S upid

Giddeon

Giddeon

For myself it was the famed Doubleds 10 plant 42 pound thread that inspired me to go for the vertical thing. Until seeing that here on the farm I was oblivious to the benefits of vertical lighting and large plants. I could not be happier with the switch!

THANKS AGAIN DD's!

I_Love_THC

I_Love_THC

+++

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0kDXEHydtQ[/YOUTUBE]
+
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMM_T_PJ0Rs[/YOUTUBE]
+
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNViNqHmnzM[/YOUTUBE]

Peace and Love, friends!
Blessings from the THC Lover. :)

Blaze

Blaze

Inspiration can be found in many places - other growers, the forums, magazines and books, the classroom, and other agriculture industries. I often look to commercial agriculture for ideas. The big ag companies put millions of dollars into R & D every year and have their growing down to an exact science - you can lean a lot watching what the "big boys" are doing. Listening and learning from farmers and people involved in other ag industries can also be quite insightful. Pot growers tend to be an odd group when it comes to growing plants, and many growers employ some seriously ass backwards techniques and products. Getting a different perspective has definitely helped me be more objective in how I grow.

Some of Elaine Ingham's work has also been a big inspiration. The Compost Tea Brewing Manual, and the SFI website has a TON of good info on it. Compost tea has taken my gardening to a whole new level and has probably been the single most beneficial technique that I have adopted. As far as vegetable growing John Jevon's books have served as a great inspiration. There is some seriously invaluable and insightful info in some of his writings.

Some of the college classes I took also proved to be very useful. I learned more useful info in two week of soil science than I did reading my gigantic stack of grow books. Having a better understanding of the soil, the plants, the nutrients, and how the all interact has really helped a lot.

Also have learned a heck of a lot from other member on here like NCGA, CT Guy, dext01, and Seamaiden. Also have to give a nod to Happyinmendo for exposing me to the raised bed system of growing. I'm never growing in ground again LoL. Too bad my other computer crapped out this week I had some great pics of that garden. It was like a freakin' weed wonder land that year - definitely a big inspiration on how to do things bigger and better.

P

primeform

nice post blaze. do you have any examples from commercial agriculture that you have adopted. Will definitely check out Elaine Inghams work more as well.

Jeezer

Jeezer

I decided going vert after i saw a couple threads on riu. You can find the thread easily on google

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
What inspired me to grow was I saw some pics of OGR'S gear I was blown away by it I run 5 gallon pure coco in 5 gallon pits under 4k full size adjustawings after seeing it on you tube I still have not got the opportunity to get or grow any if OGRs gear although I did just get a bunch of bad ass genetics from bodhi seeds like his new bubbashine cross white sky cheech wizard yo mamma and the one I'm most excited about the white x Appalachia also just ordered Tom hills deep chunk x18 ,Rez cdd v1.1 and and C's mental floss also grabbed bunch of Cc gear so I have a lot of bad ass gear to get down with I plan on moving to either 9gallon pots or 7gallon smart pots I love the pure coco I dnt think I'll use anything else all in all I want to thank OGR and the farm for inspiring me to grow it's changed my life and prolly saved it to b honest I can't imagine doing anything else!!
PG$$

Blaze

Blaze

nice post blaze. do you have any examples from commercial agriculture that you have adopted. Will definitely check out Elaine Inghams work more as well.

Well, learning more about the soil chemistry was definitely helpful. Being able to look at a label and know what all the ingredients are and what they do helps in being objective. Getting your soil prep right is key in growing healthy plants and w/o knowing the basic principals behind what you are doing makes it impossible to be critical and analytical about your process.

Also I rarely every buy anything from a hydro store anymore. Do you ever see farmers using Advanced Nutrients or some other crazy 12-part nutrient formula? Of course not. Why? Because it costs 20 times as much and does not give you an increase in yield or quality. Almost everything you can buy in a hydro store can be purchased from an agriculture supply store or online for a fraction of the cost.

For outdoor growing it is important to think about your grow more like a farm. Often grower forget about things like solar exposure, wind currents, orientation of the garden itself, micro-climate, elevation, slope, ease of access, cost of materials, etc, all of which are huge in running a successful outdoor grow.

P

primeform

We are on the same level brother. How about a list of things you regularly buy from the agriculture supply store? What do you consider the most important soil amendments?

Well, learning more about the soil chemistry was definitely helpful. Being able to look at a label and know what all the ingredients are and what they do helps in being objective. Getting your soil prep right is key in growing healthy plants and w/o knowing the basic principals behind what you are doing makes it impossible to be critical and analytical about your process.

Also I rarely every buy anything from a hydro store anymore. Do you ever see farmers using Advanced Nutrients or some other crazy 12-part nutrient formula? Of course not. Why? Because it costs 20 times as much and does not give you an increase in yield or quality. Almost everything you can buy in a hydro store can be purchased from an agriculture supply store or online for a fraction of the cost.

For outdoor growing it is important to think about your grow more like a farm. Often grower forget about things like solar exposure, wind currents, orientation of the garden itself, micro-climate, elevation, slope, ease of access, cost of materials, etc, all of which are huge in running a successful outdoor grow.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Commercial greenhouse, Ag industry, Howard M Resh. gojo, spurr, GCh, GrahamR, gLow... health grows are always inspirational.

thanks for sharing

M

MIway

Biggest thing for me was getting out into the real world... after fighting it for so long.

I'm hitched to the system... student loans via an mba... a slave, they own me. Started to work the Peter Principle in biz... know I have a special place reserved in hell just for doing good job at it... longing for the 'wonder years' & wondering where life went wrong... and if I stayed a few more years... couldn't afford to retire from the company, until they decided it costs too much to keep me & then let me go... once I Peter'd out. In retrospect, had I stayed, all that massive 401K would be worth nothing today, so...? Was workin the 'american dream'... and they got me good... own my ass.

That was about 8 years ago & haven't paid taxes since. Reality check moment... nothing to do with weed except the first time I had ever got stoned was in the 4th grade... and I ran back to that moment!!! ;-)

Truth be told, from my experiences, life is a grind no matter what I do, but at least this is something I am passionate about & that makes the juice worth the squeeze.

Guess that was to farming in general, but that moment is w I took it seriously... not just a once in a while hobby... dropped outta the 'real world' & 'broke bad', if ya will... life went an entirely different direction.

supercharged

supercharged

wat started me growin was the rising prices that seemed to just happen over night, i mean i was payin £130 for sum real nice amnesia haze then out of nowhere the next batch was £220 for sum nice cheese an white russian from the same guy?!?! i wasnt complainin about the weed, more of the prices so i set up an have never looked back :)

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Yea, I remember that Warehouse thread! Shit was awesome! Wasn't that in Canada somewhere! More bulbs than plants!

Latest posts

Top Bottom