What is a perferred nutrient dial-in tek?

• Thread starter addicted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

addicted

I am curious on how everyone else dials in there plants. This has always perplexed me as every gardener is different.

This is how I do it... First run of clones I isolate one clone to experiment with. Keeping all other clones on a regular nutrient base, all the while I increase the 'experiment' vigorously.

With any rooted clone I ALWAYS feed at 250ppm first week, 500ppm the second week. Usually never have to adjust down, only DJ Shorts Blueberry has been a suggestion.

The weeks following I add 250ppm accumlative to following week.

Now if I should ever run into nute-burn, often signaled by brown leaf tips, I top off(Hydro Term meaning adding back plain water) until my ppm are 250ppm backed off. I then continue the next week with normal acculmative properties.

The point I am trying to find is the HIGHEST I can take my plant without Nute burn. Which for me is usually found in the 8th week of total plant life and beyond.

When I find this figure, say, 2000ppm, I calculate the average PPM to get to the 8th week(I find most my plants are fully matured by 8th week)

So basically 2000/8 = 250 accumlative

Mine varies somewhat, cause I keep my clone feeding the same everytime. So mine is (500 - 2000)/6 = 250ppm, accumlation after 2nd week of life.

This is how I do it, but I am a hydro guy. After that I just play with one clone until I dial in each week individually adding 100ppm per week looking for nute burn, and back off. Take me a while to get a perfect dial in.

Anybody else chime in on a method?

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Very interesting post addicted, the goal of any serious hydro grower is to get your plants dialed in on their nutes and you have a very effective method. My method is a bit more simple, I chart every batch of nutes made then I check resv. daily and watch for the changes in my ppm and ph. It's the changes in the resv. that tell you what your plants are consuming.

great post addicted,

jj

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings addicted

Welcome to the farm.

A question for consideration:

Why is this your goal?...
The point I am trying to find is the HIGHEST I can take my plant without Nute burn....addicted

A point for consideration:

Maximum and accumulative values of Parts Per Million are not indicative of greatest yield or highest potency or bestest taste.

Now to be clear: I am not 'knocking' your approach; I appreciate this opportunity for dialogue, so, thank you for raising this topic; however, what is being described has very little to do with the concept or actuality of 'dialing in' a plant.

Two thousand parts per million (2000 ppm)? Is it 2000 ppm of a 4:13:14 solution with a 4:2:1 primary cation ratio and a complete micro nutrient profile, with the exclusion of Sodium, Aluminum and the heavy metals, but with the inclusion of Nickle and Silicon, at week eight (8) or 2000 ppm of electrolytes?

Do you continually ramp the nutrient solution's strength through till week eight (8)?

It may seem as if "I'm coming at 'cha" but be assured that I am not. The point I'm attempting to make is this: It doesn't need to be complicated, but if you're gonna make it complicated then it needs be grounded on sound principle.

Sincerely,
Charles.

p.s. You inquired about method. 'Dialing in' is a concept geared towards organic cultivation. It can be a long and arduous process. The idea is: Given the fixed nature of soil, what and when does one amend to obtain maximums in yield, potency, appearance and taste in a specified time period within the primary parameters dictated by container and plant size. It is a directed trial and error process, where meticulous records are kept and variables are tweaked until a satisfactory result is achieved.

In contrast: As a result of the responsiveness of hydroponically cultivated specimens 'dialing in' is relatively easy. It then becomes a matter of observation and application. The first step is being able to differentiate nutrient unavailability due to deficiency/improper ratio vs (and/or) environmental factors (observation); the second step is correcting the anomaly (application).

Round one: the plant tells you what it needs and when it needs it.

Round two: you provide what and when, just before the plant tells you.

p.p.s. Brown leaf tips is a symptom associated with Calcium unavailability usually due to improper nutrient ratio but often due to consistent pH.

C.X.

Top Bottom