What Is Decarbing?

• Thread starter Omerta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hawkman

The Ardent is also made like carp and not worth that kind of money..BUT if you want perfectly decarbed weed/concentrates..I know of no other choice ATM..EXCEPT the new Levo which has a decarbing function built in (never tried it as mine still works)..That is $350 and they are also made like crap!

Unfortunately until someone comes out with good products that are built well..they are the only alternatives.

Usually Ardent has a $30-40 off coupon on their site (or google for it). They screw you over and want 3 weeks for free shipping, but will ship priority for another $25! (I hate that, but they have the product).

I am decarbing an ounce right now..It took 2 runs in the Ardent and my Levo original is on hr 5!

Thanks !!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Again, been there, done that. This morning I cooked 2 g's in the toaster oven at 220F for 1:35. With a 30 min soak it was like Golden Dragon. I've been making and taking for several years and I'm always learning and trying different things but I work hard for my $ and not willing to part with it unless it would really make my life better/easier etc. Look, I can do a half g or an ounce but I'm finding a longer cook at lower temps 215-220F to be killin' it.

This is really very simple and I do love keeping it as such. About every month or so I pick up two 8 gm quarters of Indica and sativa for $100. Sunny so cal, I don't even need a med card. 3 weeks ago it was Bubba Kush and Green Crack. I decarb 2 g's of each and soak in 1 oz 190 proof. Within 20-30 minutes it tastes wonderful and works.

I use a simple 1 oz 190 proof per 2-2.5 gms decarbed. I only remove any stems that may poke into the coffee filter I wrap them in and never break them up. I use to but didn't like all the filtering.

This morning I did a gm of each (down to my last few gms) and added them to the old jars. Both are really tasty some 12 hrs later are really nice. I just use them from their jars for the most part but have several dropper bottles as well.

A ml a day or more is incredible medicine for me. From chronic pain relief to muscle spasms I don't want to be without this stuff.

BTW, how much did you pay for all that and how much bud could it have bought?

I do like adding the freezer method when I have time but I haven't seen a noticeable difference.

If you use quality you'll get quality. For months I asked my fav local dispensary if they'd sell me the stems they pick out of your order (they toss them in a jar or fish bowl on the counter) and after a few months they said sure, $1 a gm. I bought 10 and made tincture. Ya know what it tasted like? STEMS. I used it up but damn.

20190413 231255
20190413 231316
20190413 231401
DistyDemon

DistyDemon

No need for a very $$$ ardent, a cheap basic heater stor mantle and a 2 neck boiling flask is all you need to decarb.

There is about 800ml ethanol crude decarbing below.

20190317 110302
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Again, been there, done that. This morning I cooked 2 g's in the toaster oven at 220F for 1:35. With a 30 min soak it was like Golden Dragon. I've been making and taking for several years and I'm always learning and trying different things but I work hard for my $ and not willing to part with it unless it would really make my life better/easier etc. Look, I can do a half g or an ounce but I'm finding a longer cook at lower temps 215-220F to be killin' it.

This is really very simple and I do love keeping it as such. About every month or so I pick up two 8 gm quarters of Indica and sativa for $100. Sunny so cal, I don't even need a med card. 3 weeks ago it was Bubba Kush and Green Crack. I decarb 2 g's of each and soak in 1 oz 190 proof. Within 20-30 minutes it tastes wonderful and works.

I use a simple 1 oz 190 proof per 2-2.5 gms decarbed. I only remove any stems that may poke into the coffee filter I wrap them in and never break them up. I use to but didn't like all the filtering.

This morning I did a gm of each (down to my last few gms) and added them to the old jars. Both are really tasty some 12 hrs later are really nice. I just use them from their jars for the most part but have several dropper bottles as well.

A ml a day or more is incredible medicine for me. From chronic pain relief to muscle spasms I don't want to be without this stuff.

BTW, how much did you pay for all that and how much bud could it have bought?

I do like adding the freezer method when I have time but I haven't seen a noticeable difference.

If you use quality you'll get quality. For months I asked my fav local dispensary if they'd sell me the stems they pick out of your order (they toss them in a jar or fish bowl on the counter) and after a few months they said sure, $1 a gm. I bought 10 and made tincture. Ya know what it tasted like? STEMS. I used it up but damn.
If you mean me..I never buy bud..I grow, Press Rosin, make tinctures, etc, and use only tops to make my infusions. I toss more weed than I care to think about..So waste is not an issue, but quality is..I used to do it the manual way and was happy (I thought), until I found out what a difference Weed and concentrates, decarbed EXACTLY, made. Sure, I hated spending $$ on those, but I got my ROI within 1/2 yr.

ie: used 28 grams of flower to 3/8 lb of butter yesterday (strain was a mix of things from last month's grow)..Some of the most potent butter yet. Running low on tincture and will need to make more soon. (I only make glycerin tinctures, since I hate booze). For that, I use even more bud and for more time.
problem WAS that I gained a ton of weight...Baked potato w/ canna butter is less fattening that what I was having fun eating/medicating.
Night time:
Potato, dabs, tincture, and some flower or fresh frozen hash for desert! Then..out for the count and loving it!
Cookies2
Loaf
Cookies and creme

Fangthane

Fangthane

Just took my very first shot at cannabutter last week. I froze, then pulverized, 20 grams of bud - some Gorilla Glue, Bubblegum and a bunch of Northern Lights popcorn nugs. I don't really trust my old propane oven, so I decided to err on the side of caution and decarb a bit lower @ 200F for 45 minutes. I put a few cups of water, 5 sticks of butter and the decarbed bud into a crock pot set on low for about 4 hours. Used a bunch of the butter to make a big batch of chocolate chip cookies. I started out by eating 3 of them. About an hour later, I was laid out on my recliner for a 6-hour nap. They don't really make me feel high, they just seem to put everyone to sleep. I'm sure it would have turned out better with a Magical Butter Machine, but I guess I didn't F it up too badly for my first try.
IMG 20190410 085804View attachment 866090IMG 20190411 081956IMG 20190411 081952IMG 20190413 175649

IMG 20190410 114745
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

If you mean me..I never buy bud..I grow, Press Rosin, make tinctures, etc, and use only tops to make my infusions. I toss more weed than I care to think about..So waste is not an issue, but quality is..I used to do it the manual way and was happy (I thought), until I found out what a difference Weed and concentrates, decarbed EXACTLY, made. Sure, I hated spending $$ on those, but I got my ROI within 1/2 yr.

ie: used 28 grams of flower to 3/8 lb of butter yesterday (strain was a mix of things from last month's grow)..Some of the most potent butter yet. Running low on tincture and will need to make more soon. (I only make glycerin tinctures, since I hate booze). For that, I use even more bud and for more time.
problem WAS that I gained a ton of weight...Baked potato w/ canna butter is less fattening that what I was having fun eating/medicating.
Night time:
Potato, dabs, tincture, and some flower or fresh frozen hash for desert! Then..out for the count and loving it!
View attachment 866091View attachment 866094View attachment 866095

We'll shit howdy, pass the cookies!

I grow too but after a few weeks of the same 'ol same 'ol I need something different. While I have the room to grow several different strains I've been working with a Chemdog x Brutus OG strain given to me by a client who's a second generation grower. He didn't cross it, one of his grower friends did and game him some seeds to work with and I just happened to be in the right place and time.

This is one knock you down bud that has retained the Chemdog smell in both the Indica and Sativa phenotypes and I'd like to set the Indica pheno someday. We'll see. If it happens I plan on naming it after my client and favorite show, Capt Kirk.

jamesicb

jamesicb

Decarbing the cannabis you use in edibles and tinctures will make them safer and more effective. Decarboxylation happens very slowly when cannabis is cured, but we can use an oven to speed up and complete the process. Decarbing your cannabis allows you to convert the THCA found in your dried buds and trim to THC.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It doesnt need to be a super precise temperature to decarb.. Just needs to be in a suitable range for an adequate length of time. I bake in the oven at 260 for 50 min to decarb and get over 99% conversion from THCA to delta 9 THC.

Save your money. I'm sure the ardent lift works well, but it's super not necessary.

Northernpop

Northernpop

So, when you use buds in food, do we use the green weight, cured weight, or the oven dried weight?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

mancorn

mancorn

So, when you use buds in food, do we use the green weight, cured weight, or the oven dried weight?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
It doesn't really matter as long as you're consistent from batch to batch.

If you don't know the actual THC % of your source, I find it easier to guesstimate on potency, using decarbed weight.

If you have some Gorrila Glue you can make a guess that it's around 20% THCa/THC (Look at leafy to find an average on what your strain is.) If you use 1 gram x 20% THC then you'll end up with ~200 mg of THC. (If you use cured weight, 200 mg of THCa (non decarbed weed) only converts to THC at .877%, not 100%, so 1 gram, (1000mg x 20% THC) x .877 = 176 max THC in the decarbed material.)

Then you'll need to factor in the infusion % of your oil or butter. I primarily use coconut oil which absorbs ~ 80% of your THC. So taking our 176mg of THC from the above example, 176 max THC x .8 = 141mg of the THC will be in your oil. Now if you make one big brownie with this oil and divide it up with 3 friends you'll each get about 35mg of THC, and be pretty high.

Of course this is just an educated guess. But by using decarbed weight instead of cured weight it's a little easier to do the math. I find in my Ardent that you lose about .1 gram per gram in weight (of well cured bud). So if I want 3 grams of finished material I start with 3.3 grams.

Last edited:
shaganja

shaganja

Gonna try an revive this fucker. Ok, thcv boiling point is 428 degrees. When we decarb, we never do it at this temperature. So, is it safe to say most if not all edibles have zero thcv effect, or any other cannabinoid that has similar boiling points? Is there a way to get this, without damaging the others?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Gonna try an revive this fucker. Ok, thcv boiling point is 428 degrees. When we decarb, we never do it at this temperature. So, is it safe to say most if not all edibles have zero thcv effect, or any other cannabinoid that has similar boiling points? Is there a way to get this, without damaging the others?
Boiling point and decarboxylation point is two different things. You don't need to hit the boiling point to decarb, I believe the main thing to achieve conversion from thcv-A to thcv is to drive off the carbon molecule at normal decarb temps of 220-280f or so.

shaganja

shaganja

Boiling point and decarboxylation point is two different things. You don't need to hit the boiling point to decarb, I believe the main thing to achieve conversion from thcv-A to thcv is to drive off the carbon molecule at normal decarb temps of 220-280f or so.
Thank you! That makes much sense!

socks4free

socks4free

I make my infused coconut oil in the crockpot. I've always decarbed my weed first but I have been curious if it's really necessary if I'm gonna have the bud
in my crockpot for 24+ hours at around 180°F anyways. Would anyone have an answer for this?

socks4free

socks4free

For details I usually put 1 to 3 cups of water, .5 to 2 cup of coconut oil and anywhere from 30-120 grams of weed. Into the crockpot and put it on slowcook low temp(180°F) wouldn't sitting in the crockpot for this long at these temps decarb the weed anyways?

mancorn

mancorn

I make my infused coconut oil in the crockpot. I've always decarbed my weed first but I have been curious if it's really necessary if I'm gonna have the bud
in my crockpot for 24+ hours at around 180°F anyways. Would anyone have an answer for this?

From Ardent’s web site:

“When you add the decarbed flower into the fatty oil, the oil encapsulates the flower, acting as an insulator. That’s why it’s necessary to decarb BEFORE you infuse. The oil acting as an insulator means that you won’t get a fully activated product if you don’t decarb before the infusion process. Our testing below shows the infusion of flower that was NOT decarboxylated prior to infusion. The flower was mixed with oil and placed in the decarboxylator.”

Latest posts

Top Bottom