What is going on with my leaves

• Thread starter Nasty.nestie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Nasty.nestie

I'm noticing my leaves look fucked up compared to other plants. The plants seem healthy, stalks feel a little mushy and not super rigid.

I'm in coco watering 2x a day.

Runoff ph 6.3 I use recharge 2x a week and kelp 1x a week. so it's artificially high.

Room temp 83 humidity is 72.

Running a 320w 2.07ppfd led.

I suspect my fans are too strong. What do y'all think?

What is going on with my leaves
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

All I see is a few tucker over leaves. They don't look bad to me. What concerns you?

I don't think a fan can hurt a plant easily. My outdoor plants tolerate 15+ mph wind all summer.

N

Nasty.nestie

All I see is a few tucker over leaves. They don't look bad to me. What concerns you?

I don't think a fan can hurt a plant easily. My outdoor plants tolerate 15+ mph wind all summer.
My plants don't look like other people's. They seem thin and spindly, not as lush and healthy. A bunch of crooked twisted leave and more taco leave than idike

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Yeah, I see that now. What are you using for nutes? what concentration?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Jack's 321
Just looked them up, isn't clear from their web page what their micronutrient components, if any, are. Kinda cheezy that you have to obtain calcium and magnesium separately. The kelp ought to give you some micronutes, but this is a mix I'm not familiar with. And, TBH, I've never done coco; all my experience is hydro.

How strong are you mixing, compared to their std recipe? Which of their recipes are you using? Are you adding all ingredients?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Just looked up recharge, my opinion is that microbe additions to hydro techniques are silly. The purpose of microbes is to unlock organically bound nitrogen, which isn't a need in your solution. I'd delete it.

N

Nasty.nestie

Just looked them up, isn't clear from their web page what their micronutrient components, if any, are. Kinda cheezy that you have to obtain calcium and magnesium separately. The kelp ought to give you some micronutes, but this is a mix I'm not familiar with. And, TBH, I've never done coco; all my experience is hydro.

How strong are you mixing, compared to their std recipe? Which of their recipes are you using? Are you adding all ingredients?

Jack's has all the essential micro nutrients.

I think having the calit and Epsom separate is essential and necessary to some degree as the calcium and sumfate ions don't play nice with each other .

I've been mixing just 3g Jack's 2g calnit 1elpsom per gallon but I think I'm going to kick it up to 3.6 2.4 1.2. At this point I feel like the nutes must be the issue I can't imagine what else it would be . I've been running the nutes kinda lean around the 750ppm range may that be the issue?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm noticing my leaves look fucked up compared to other plants. The plants seem healthy, stalks feel a little mushy and not super rigid.

I'm in coco watering 2x a day.

Runoff ph 6.3 I use recharge 2x a week and kelp 1x a week. so it's artificially high.

Room temp 83 humidity is 72.

Running a 320w 2.07ppfd led.

I suspect my fans are too strong. What do y'all think?
Agree, stop the recharge, it's not your fans and you don't have that much light in there so I wouldn't go to strong on the newts. I would also stop the kelp and go with just the 3 2 1 and check new growth for improvement before making other changes

N

Nasty.nestie

Agree, stop the recharge, it's not your fans and you don't have that much light in there so I wouldn't go to strong on the newts. I would also stop the kelp and go with just the 3 2 1 and check new growth for improvement before making other changes

Roger that.

Gonna bump the Jack's to 900 ppm. Stop the recharge and kelp, gonna use keep only as foliar.
Will keep the Ful-Power and tribus as I know first hand what those can do. Will report back.

My.lights however are enhough to get the tent to 1000m/mols so pretty strong .

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Gonna bump the Jack's to 900 ppm. Stop the recharge and kelp, gonna use keep only as foliar.
Will keep the Ful-Power and tribus as I know first hand what those can do. Will report back.
Tribus is a microbial innoculant. The general value those have is to enable release of organically bound nitrogen. Doubt it's helping you at all, but it probably won't hurt. Ful-power is humic acid, which is usually used to regulate pH in soil. If people needed it added to Jack's, Jacks 321 wouldn't work without it, and wouldn't be as successful as it is. Doubt you need that either. Though, that said, when I google up your problem, the primary answer that come back is bad pH regulation.
[Edit] . Doing some more searching on humic acid presents a lot of contradictory info. I am not sure of the quality of my response above, leaving for context. The consistent response is that it chelates some fert components to make them more available. Again, this is needed in organically bound N.

I hate to see you increase nute strength. That's usually a mistake with a struggling plant if there are obviously nutes present. I don't know what the answer is, but increasing nutes is rarely the answer to a problem.

The fact that you have customized your mix so much away from the vendor's recipe, and that every time we ask, there is another nutrient component that you haven't mentioned yet that comes up, suggest to me that a good approach would be going to a rock stock 321 recipe from Jack's page, and detuning that to 80% strength. Mix and match of nutrients by non-chemists causes a lot of "Whats wrong with my plant" posts. A somewhat weaker nute solution will never harm a plant; the worst it will do is slow growth. YMMV. Good luck, I have no more to offer.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Tribus is a microbial innoculant. The general value those have is to enable release of organically bound nitrogen. Doubt it's helping you at all, but it probably won't hurt. Ful-power is humic acid, which is usually used to regulate pH in soil. If people needed it added to Jack's, Jacks 321 wouldn't work without it, and wouldn't be as successful as it is. Doubt you need that either. Though, that said, when I google up your problem, the primary answer that come back is bad pH regulation.
[Edit] . Doing some more searching on humic acid presents a lot of contradictory info. I am not sure of the quality of my response above, leaving for context. The consistent response is that it chelates some fert components to make them more available. Again, this is needed in organically bound N.

Ful-power is fulvic acid. Similar stuff, significantly smaller size. Better chelating abilities. This stuff supposedly permeates the cells and they carry the ions they have attached themselves inside the plant. With a chemical fert program is it necessary? I don’t know but it seems chemicals should be very available to plants already.

Its supposed to provide a wide array of trace minerals too. I use it my garden but not constantly. Just 4-5 applications.

Also, i agree about not feeding more. It hardly ever solves anything. That plant doesn’t look like it needs more.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Ful-power is fulvic acid. Similar stuff, significantly smaller size. Better chelating abilities. This stuff supposedly permeates the cells and they carry the ions they have attached themselves inside the plant. With a chemical fert program is it necessary? I don’t know but it seems chemicals should be very available to plants already.

Its supposed to provide a wide array of trace minerals too. I use it my garden but not constantly. Just 4-5 applications.

Also, i agree about not feeding more. It hardly ever solves anything. That plant doesn’t look like it needs more.
Sorry, my mistake. Fulvics and Humics are similar in effect, operate in opposite directions, I had a brain fart. They both offer pH stabilization and chelation of difficult to assimilate nutrient compounds. My main comment still pertains; if they are necessary for a nute mix, I expect (and see) the manufacturuer adding them, and I'm sure their guy is more up on the chemistry required than I am, with my two years of college chem 30 years ago. :-)

Top Bottom