What is happening to them? Things are looking grim.

• Thread starter Hobblebush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Also new growth can take a bit to green up and new younger growth hasn't had time to fully photosynthesize and green up. Just need to give her a few days to sort out and see what adjustment need made now that she is drinking. Humidity will definitely start going up and close to 95% of the water we feed them gets released as humidity from transpiration
yeah this is a bit different in terms of greening up. Usually it's pretty even darkening, but this plant is much more uneven, and the darkening is spotty. I know there was too much nitrogen and that caused the clawing, but the leaves rolling and the spottiness is something im worried about. I was planning on putting the big plant outside once it gets warm enough, hopefully grow myself a tree. Thanks for the help you've been a great source for info.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

yeah this is a bit different in terms of greening up. Usually it's pretty even darkening, but this plant is much more uneven, and the darkening is spotty. I know there was too much nitrogen and that caused the clawing, but the leaves rolling and the spottiness is something im worried about. I was planning on putting the big plant outside once it gets warm enough, hopefully grow myself a tree. Thanks for the help you've been a great source for info.
It's just gonna be some tweaking now. Nutrients, temps and humidity.

There will be added root pressure now that the media is wet. So humidity will be key to keep a bit lower like 50-55% because of the lower temps. If you get the room temps up I think it will solve some issues as cooler temps slow the flow of nutrients also transpiration rates. It's a climate thing right now. I can tell that by the swollen interveinal tissue. Water is being trapped in the leaves. Good airflow, good temps and humidity are key. Then once that's sorted you can adjust the nutrients because nutrient uptake is directly related to transpiration rates.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

@Aqua Man Room temps have been up and it’s heating up in VT. Around 77 consistently to 80. I watered the big plant yesterday and they seemingly have been doing pretty well. But I noticed this morning that some of the leaves on the big plant have been curling upwards a bit Like down below here.

i watered yesterday with tap water pH6.8. It smells eggy and tastes eggy too, so I haven’t been using it on them much. is this leaf clawing, curling up and both down going to be much of an issue?

Also in regards to pruning, I’ve been clipping the leaves that are useless and shaded. But for where I topped it’s getting messy, I circled something growing in the “armpit”of the petioles, should I be trimming this stuff? If it’s coming off the two main stems?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man Room temps have been up and it’s heating up in VT. Around 77 consistently to 80. I watered the big plant yesterday and they seemingly have been doing pretty well. But I noticed this morning that some of the leaves on the big plant have been curling upwards a bit Like down below here.
View attachment 976137
i watered yesterday with tap water pH6.8. It smells eggy and tastes eggy too, so I haven’t been using it on them much. is this leaf clawing, curling up and both down going to be much of an issue?

Also in regards to pruning, I’ve been clipping the leaves that are useless and shaded. But for where I topped it’s getting messy, I circled something growing in the “armpit”of the petioles, should I be trimming this stuff? If it’s coming off the two main stems?
View attachment 976138
Long as you have good airflow some crowding is not an issue at all.

In terms of the leafs ime the serrations will curl up if it's heat. That's folding and since it's only on the upper leaves I would say it's very early signs of light stress. Back the light off a couple inches and they should flatten out. Some people like to have a little bit of that but I prefer nice flat leaves.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Long as you have good airflow some crowding is not an issue at all.

In terms of the leafs ime the serrations will curl up if it's heat. That's folding and since it's only on the upper leaves I would say it's very early signs of light stress. Back the light off a couple inches and they should flatten out. Some people like to have a little bit of that but I prefer nice flat leaves.

yeah I think it’s from the light too, I’ll try to figure a way to raise it better. It’s already as high as the strap that came with it will go so I’ll do something else

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

yeah I think it’s from the light too, I’ll try to figure a way to raise it better. It’s already as high as the strap that came with it will go so I’ll do something else
Can you lower the power? some light are adjustable. It not bad at all yet.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nutrient levels are slightly high. In the warmer temps its going to take up more water and in tern more nutrients so you can lower feed a bit.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Nutrient levels are slightly high. In the warmer temps its going to take up more water and in tern more nutrients so you can lower feed a bit.
The big one will hopefully move outside soon. I made a clone from one of the smallest shaded branches and using another light to try and see it’s gender. Still haven’t given any nutrients in over a month and a half...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Still haven’t given any nutrients in over a month and a half...
Don't feel obligated to feed just because it has been a while. My normal feeding schedule is generally about 3 or 4 feedings from sprout to buds, and use Promix, which doesn't have any nutes mixed into it when you buy it. If it has nutes in it, they are generally good for at least 3 months and maybe up to 6, depending on the strain and the mix that was used. A smaller plant seldom uses all of the nutes in the soil unless it is in a small container. Nutes are a lot like food for people... you can eat a ton, get fat, but your health will suffer. If you don't eat enough, you get deficiencies. The idea is to eat enough to sustain you and provide the stuff you need... but without eating so much of everything that it hurts your health. Steroids might look great, but they can wreak havoc if overused. Plants like it easy. IMO.

Dan789

Dan789

👆 its become more popular with new growers to just drop seedlings or clones straight into 3 or 5 gal containers , i still go strictly with stage growing containers , put small plants into small containets , let root , up pot to next size ,
2 or 3 transplants till final container , relieves a lot of space , water , nutrient issues in my experience
Just my experience , others may disagree....
Couldn’t agree more fully...

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

@Aqua ManSo things have been going alright, watering etc. but I’ve been seeing some curling on the leaves both upwards and down. I thought this was due to light stress so I moved the lights even higher, the nitrogen claw is progressing even further.

This the big plant

the stems/leaves on the smallest plants seem to be sagging and I’m wondering if it’s from lack of light? They’ve filled their pots nicely and Have needed watering every 2-3 days.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 981035@Aqua ManSo things have been going alright, watering etc. but I’ve been seeing some curling on the leaves both upwards and down. I thought this was due to light stress so I moved the lights even higher, the nitrogen claw is progressing even further.

View attachment 981033
This the big plant
View attachment 981034

the stems/leaves on the smallest plants seem to be sagging and I’m wondering if it’s from lack of light? They’ve filled their pots nicely and Have needed watering every 2-3 days.
View attachment 981037
View attachment 981036
What are the temps and humidity? Small amount of mag sulfate may help

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The damage on the leaves might have resulted from the issues a while back, as it can take a week or two for damage to show up totally. The clawing isn't too bad... FWIW, I had somewhat similar clawing onthe sides of some plants and couldn't figure out why only some plants and some areas were affected. Turns out that the reflective curtains I use reflected more light onto the sides of the plants than they got directly, so the leaves actually curled towards the brighter light source. I see you have a metallic sidewall, so that just came to mind.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

What are the temps and humidity? Small amount of mag sulfate may help
Temps are in the 78-83
Humidity is stable around 50-55, sometimes the humidity spikes the dehumidifier is full, it’s gotten up to 88% by accident

Top Bottom