What is the best bloom/PK Booster?

• Thread starter Rjp2435
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rjp2435

Rjp2435

Running GH nutes in coco and have heard mixed reviews about their dry KoolBloom, not the liquid, and was wondering if anybody has used another bloom booster with better results. I’ve also heard that their dry KoolBloom can cause hermies if you’re not super careful with it. Any feedback is appreciated!

Threw in a pic of the garden :)

What is the best bloompk booster
bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

I have had good success with Green Planet's Massive Bloom, it's a bit expensive ($24 CAD/L) and the usage rate is high (20ml/Gal) so it runs out pretty fast, but overall my buds this year have been fat as cola bottles and so dense that I had major issues with bud rot on the outdoor plants that finished early September.

It's not a PK booster like KoolBloom though, its a 1-2-3 fertilizer with Triacontanol. Cut it out 2 weeks before harvest, the Triacontanol makes the plant push out new pistils non stop otherwise.

Rjp2435

Rjp2435

I have had good success with Green Planet's Massive Bloom, it's a bit expensive ($24 CAD/L) and the usage rate is high (20ml/Gal) so it runs out pretty fast, but overall my buds this year have been fat as cola bottles and so dense that I had major issues with bud rot on the outdoor plants that finished early September.

It's not a PK booster like KoolBloom though, its a 1-2-3 fertilizer with Triacontanol. Cut it out 2 weeks before harvest, the Triacontanol makes the plant push out new pistils non stop otherwise.
Isn’t that considered a PGR?

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Isn’t that considered a PGR?

Triacontanol is a naturally derived PGR commonly found in Alfalfa and Beeswax. It is safe for use on food crops and has been used for agricultural production for a long time now. It is not in the same category as other synthetic and proven unsafe PGRs such as paclobutrazol and daminozide.

You can actually obtain a 100% organic version of Triacontanol through Alfalfa sprouted seed tea if you want something organic.

Rjp2435

Rjp2435

Triacontanol is a naturally derived PGR commonly found in Alfalfa and Beeswax. It is safe for use on food crops and has been used for agricultural production for a long time now. It is not in the same category as other synthetic and proven unsafe PGRs such as paclobutrazol and daminozide.

You can actually obtain a 100% organic version of Triacontanol through Alfalfa sprouted seed tea if you want something organic.
So all that bad shit/fox tailing you see and hear about us from the synthetic PGR’s? I just want to make sure because I know it’s usually pretty black and white, people say they use them religiously and others think it’s poison.

R

redshift75

I was more answering that yes its in the PGR category, wasnt knocking its use. But you covered nicely why it falls in the side of lesser category. PGR's are typically too heated of a discussion so i tend to remove myself from the conversation. Cause if you bring up one it opens Pandora's box on opinions and subjective ideals. But i do use alfalfa meal derived Triacontanol in my setup. Its in there somewhere ;)

to ops post i started comparing my bloom mix from dyna gro and switched it with bud xplosion and sweet candy from greenleaf nutrients. havent had enough time to say its better. But i can tell a difference between the two. One has a sweeter pine smell while the other tent has a more lemon smell. Will wait til the final results to see if i want to switch. But so far i have nothing negative about either products.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

So all that bad shit/fox tailing you see and hear about us from the synthetic PGR’s? I just want to make sure because I know it’s usually pretty black and white, people say they use them religiously and others think it’s poison.

@redshift75, sorry if it came off as aggressive, I just wanted to add more information.

In my limited (3 plants harvested grown with Massive, 1 plant still ripening under the sun) I had only 1 plant produce foxtails, it was also a sativa dominate strain and was an auto flower which was budding during the heat of summer (30c every day). So I would say that can it produce foxtails? Probably it can contribute to it. Will it produce foxtails on its own? I'd say if used appropriately and in a good growing environment then, no it wont cause foxtails.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

See for yourself the results I have attained. Im hoping to harvest around October 15th, the plant may not be fully ready by then however the weather is forcing my hand.

September 14th 2020
20200914 124720

20200914 124731

September 24th 2020
20200924 114526

20200924 114551

20200924 114614

R

redshift75

@redshift75, sorry if it came off as aggressive, I just wanted to add more information.

In my limited (3 plants harvested grown with Massive, 1 plant still ripening under the sun) I had only 1 plant produce foxtails, it was also a sativa dominate strain and was an auto flower which was budding during the heat of summer (30c every day). So I would say that can it produce foxtails? Probably it can contribute to it. Will it produce foxtails on its own? I'd say if used appropriately and in a good growing environment then, no it wont cause foxtails.
I think this is a perfect summary

I think the application, when, amount, environmental factors. All play a large part in this. Like say if you apply it on a 100 degree day. Vs that 60 degree cloudy day. With lots of these products. Same with pesticide and fungicide, how and when you apply it can play a large role in its effectiveness. or it can also create toxic or semitoxic conditions.

I think to the broad sense to add on what you covered. is just that. At face value can application cause undesirable results. yes. But that metric can be applied universally to all products we can apply on some level. half of this forum is dedicated to people using products inconsistently or improperly. But that is part of learning and experience. Even then i cant apply what worked with Girl scout cookies to northern lights. I may have a baseline. But what GSC wanted could be 2x as much as the NL will take. I personally believe i can apply that standard to every aspect on some level.

So the broad sense of OPs question. Undesirable effects can be created by anything. But its the hope of the desired effects we want with all products we use. No matter where you stand on individual products or PGR's, nutes, organic, hydro, soil, etc.

Odiesel

Odiesel

I was more answering that yes its in the PGR category, wasnt knocking its use. But you covered nicely why it falls in the side of lesser category. PGR's are typically too heated of a discussion so i tend to remove myself from the conversation. Cause if you bring up one it opens Pandora's box on opinions and subjective ideals. But i do use alfalfa meal derived Triacontanol in my setup. Its in there somewhere ;)

to ops post i started comparing my bloom mix from dyna gro and switched it with bud xplosion and sweet candy from greenleaf nutrients. havent had enough time to say its better. But i can tell a difference between the two. One has a sweeter pine smell while the other tent has a more lemon smell. Will wait til the final results to see if i want to switch. But so far i have nothing negative about either products.
i would never want to use a bloom booster that made my plants have totally different smells. are they same strain?

R

redshift75

i would never want to use a bloom booster that made my plants have totally different smells. are they same strain?
Yeah same strain. This is not uncommon. This is the point to trying different bloom boosters. Theoretically Brand A, B, C, boosters may respond differently or better for Genetic X, Y, Z potentially.

This is my opinion on it to explain why.
Ones grow regiment has the potential for lots of impact to the profiles considering everything such as biotic or abiotic selective pressures. All of those Factors are why same genetic from 2 growers can display different profiles while still offering the classic base profile of a strain. Having a pinene trait or limonene as the main trait isnt bad at all. Considering the profiles one gets and takes the smell. Where a terpene profile may be 1-2% where the small variance of .01 can be the difference of it having smelled like pine or lemon. theoretically.

Its in my opinion great to know. Cause i prefer Limonene even if we are talking a small percentage as the main terp.

Regardless smell means nothing to me as an indicator of good or bad. What will matter will be the results at the end from the lab. Even then those tend to be meaningless cause its all in the effect and experience. That will dictate what matters or separates any real difference for me. But its good to have a profile to know what the reasons could be for the difference you experience.

One could theoretically attribute this entire phenomenon to one being a better bloom booster than the other unlocking more potential. How does one ever know they have reached the potential of ones genetics if they never try anything different? There is all sorts of things that trigger different responses. I treat them as living creatures with the potential for anything.

Ill say the real and most likely reason is: im going to go with it only takes a fractional adjustment to change the overall profile. When you have genetics with competing monoterpenes. after all thats why we call them boosters. Each genetic reacts to different profiles and these are the reasons those "tested for year" blends have the potential to help a grower. We can talk nutrient profiles and base nutrients, But we are talking infinite and endless combination possibilities. The ratios and combinations are where the real secrets & mysteries lay.

Notes: I know it seems odd and that my lengthy response was not required. I felt like it a good time to follow up on the lack of information I provided in my original post for future potential readers. Because it would be hard for me to comment on the genetics without going a little bit into the science, even if theoretical. Even now this is severely lacking in real information on my part. I think most people at THC farmer will understand my line of thought and the terminology.

***editors note: i was mostly throwing out hypothetical percentages and should not be taken as actual amounts.

Top Bottom