What is the best way to store seeds?

• Thread starter Donk Frog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Donk Frog

Over the long term -----1-3yrs+
As I often like to pick up seeds that are limited offerings and grow them out when I have room.

H

hailstone

Hehe guess you didn't read this:

Here's a forum suggestion for logic, how about changing the name of this one. :rofl

Anyway, for long term seed storage I've heard that a freezer is the best option.

D

drpressure600

the fridge

Over the long term -----1-3yrs+
As I often like to pick up seeds that are limited offerings and grow them out when I have room.
, the fridge my friend, al the grow shops use them . .

G

Grower

What you saving them for a rainy day, Get em sprouted my man, There no good in the fridge. Let the Seedbanks look after your seeds until your ready to grow them, If there worth growing they'll be a long term demand for them like there is for SSH, Limited offerings is bullshit m8, just a way to get you to hand over your money sooner rather than later. And now your stuck with seeds you can't grow for 1-3 years anyway.

D

drpressure600

some people like to have there on stash, i was over in the dam a couple of months back and only got one pack of serious seeds ak 47, they were in the glass show room in the damphring, the last over in the shops, and dr hermans in the uk were sold out for them too, see kid, they don't always be there . .

G

Grower

I dunno, I mean, I like to keep my options open, I just hate to see good money go to waste. Got the seeds i'm growing now for free, Next up and growing from clones also gifted to me, I don't see the need to ever pay for something you don't really want or can't really afford. Shit! what's wrong with me today, I feel like I'm ranting here, I'll shut up lol

Delta-9 Labs

Delta-9 Labs

Breeder
Supporter
Storing the seeds long-term is best achieved by first sealing them in plastic keeping them as airtight as possible, and then placing them in the refridgerator. We at Delta-9 Labs have had excellent results using seeds that we have had for 10 years. Regards, Ed

D

Donk Frog

should i add a mini bag of silica (the little bag found in new shoes) to reduced or remove moisture before put in fridge....also how long can u store seeds????

S

slap14

A fridge is usually has very low humidity as long as it's closed most of the time about 10% to 20%. I don't think you need to worry to much about humidity in your fridge unless you leave the door open for a long time.

A

alegoblin

I use a canning jar with the seeds sealed in there individual zips,vials ect. and within the jar I place a couple of small silica capsules.I dont think its a good idea to place the silica next to or in the same actual container as the seeds as it may wick the natural moisture from the embryo.Just use the silica to absorb moisture from the jar or outer container.Silica should be re energized occasionally.Place in the oven for 30 minutes to dry the crystals out twice annually.This jar stays in the top shelf of the refrigerator.RH in a refrigerator will fluctuate considerably if the unit is also used for food or BEVERAGE :beer storage and warmer items are added randomly.I have stored short lived vegetable seeds(pepper,corn ect.) this way for many years.Peace Ale.

I

Indie

You can also use rice for moisture control. I use mason jars in the fridge with a little dry rice, and thats good for 10 to 15 years, maybe even longer. I have way more seeds than I will admit, and have to keep them fresh for future plans. Make sure you use a fridge that does not see a lot of traffic.

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Fridge in a dark envelope. Get most to crack open.

D

doubleds

fancy

You dont really need to get to fancy at all. I use black film containers and throw them in a freezer, simple. About 6 - 8 months ago i germinated my last 12 sssc williams wonder seeds that i bought in 1989. 11 germed and 10 made it to become beautiful healthy plants !!

dds

Top Bottom