What is the simplest Hydro System?

• Thread starter ComfortablyNumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We are thinking about getting back into Hydro. We had a nightmare with it a couple of years ago when we first started growing inside.
We now have a stable tent giving us some sweet organics so, what's the easiest way to do it hydro style?

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

Kratky method I think. Basically DWC without the air pump. They can run into algae problems sometimes though, have some peroxide ready in the wings.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

20210710 202555
20210711 193238

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We were looking at a constant ebb and flow system.
Its a 4x4 tent. We want simple with no possible leaks. LOL

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pros and Cons on RDWC?
Pros

Fastest growth rates next to aeroponics.

Extreme control over rootzone (can change anything in 5-15min.

No watering just changeouts and top offs.

Very stable compared to DWC

Can manipulate root temps.

Cons

When shit goes wrong it can go wrong fast.

You need to run live or sterile and can be a challenge to get right at first.

You can't move the plants around to prune so you need to make sure you have space for that.

You need testing equipment and possibly some expensive equipment like chillers.

Your veg is kind of limited to container size.

No organics.

Can be a learning curve on nutrient levels and ph drift.

I'm sure I missed a few of both

kake_walker

kake_walker

My vote goes to building a recirculating rockwool setup with with Floraflex manifolds and caps, 45 Gallon reservoir. Just remember the more plants the quicker your ph will drift. I rock a 3x6 tray with a 70 gallon reservoir and I can go a week without touching my ph. I like to stay as clean (is sterile even possible lol) as possible and add 4ml/gal of H202 every 3-4 days.

FourPlants

FourPlants

As a first time grower I am loving my DIY RDWC. My system has been stable for a month without having to do too many adjustments. I am so happy I went recirculating opposed to just a deep water culture.

F

frogyrogy

I haven't tried every method so not an expert, however I think the easiest, and by that I mean the most trouble free method, is DTW in coco. I use the floraflex matrix setup and feed/water to runoff three times a day in flower. I mix nutes for 3-4 days at a time normally, but can get away with mixing for 7-8 days if I need to be away . . . only real reason to open tent is pruning and monitoring for bud rot and such.

My case for DTW in coco being the most reliable method for an amateur such as myself? You are always feeding fresh nutrients just as you mixed, never recycling. You feed to runoff each watering so you avoid salts buildup in your media. It is not as vulnerable to equipment failure . . . if I'm away for the weekend and a pump craps out it isn't the end of the world.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Set up can be a little daunting and not many grow spaces have the room but as far as simple operation it doesn't get easier than aquaponics IMO. All you really have to do is feed fish and make sure water levels are topped off. My first run doing it turned out great. It's like getting organic weed but it's grown with hydroponics.
Hempy is another that's very ez but does require daily checks. Lucas Formula and hempy can get crazy good results

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Set up can be a little daunting and not many grow spaces have the room but as far as simple operation it doesn't get easier than aquaponics IMO. All you really have to do is feed fish and make sure water levels are topped off. My first run doing it turned out great. It's like getting organic weed but it's grown with hydroponics.
Hempy is another that's very ez but does require daily checks. Lucas Formula and hempy can get crazy good results
You have grown Aquaponic weed? Lets talk.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm familiar with Aquaponics and that's actually what we want, but we keep hearing that you can't grow good weed in Aquaponics.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm familiar with Aquaponics and that's actually what we want, but we keep hearing that you can't grow good weed in Aquaponics.
Imo not necessarily a quality issue. Since aquaponkcs generally can just be run at higher of ppm as required by the fish to live (avoid all invertebrates they are sensitive af) you need to ensure that each plant has an adequate enough volume and sustainable nutrient level to be able to do well. I mean it's possible to do but it's pretty advanced for a first attempt at hydro and you need to run some hearty ass fish like goldfish, tilapia and possibly Oscar's.. the food in equals your nutrients out and nutrient ratios are not so easily balanced this way.

Imo when you have a limited control on nutrient ratios, a requirement of tenps for the fish you choose, keeping the fish and plants in good health now become about 4x more difficult. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not saying it won't work just be prepared to fail a lot in the sake of learning and dialing it in because you have a lot more to deal with when you add live critters to the mix.

And you must absolutely must ensure the tank is cycled and established or you will be in for a word of hurt with diatomaceous, cynobacteria, algae and ammonia which is deadly to fish while nitrates are fairly tolerable for the fish I listed.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Imo not necessarily a quality issue. Since aquaponkcs generally can just be run at higher of ppm as required by the fish to live (avoid all invertebrates they are sensitive af) you need to ensure that each plant has an adequate enough volume and sustainable nutrient level to be able to do well. I mean it's possible to do but it's pretty advanced for a first attempt at hydro and you need to run some hearty ass fish like goldfish, tilapia and possibly Oscar's.. the food in equals your nutrients out and nutrient ratios are not so easily balanced this way.

Imo when you have a limited control on nutrient ratios, a requirement of tenps for the fish you choose, keeping the fish and plants in good health now become about 4x more difficult. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not saying it won't work just be prepared to fail a lot in the sake of learning and dialing it in because you have a lot more to deal with when you add live critters to the mix.

And you must absolutely must ensure the tank is cycled and established or you will be in for a word of hurt with diatomaceous, cynobacteria, algae and ammonia which is deadly to fish while nitrates are fairly tolerable for the fish I listed.
A good friend here runs an Aquaponics farm. The setup is the difficult part. you have to balance the chemistry before adding any critters. I've worked with his system enough to know something about it. 90% of the things you just mentioned are all self-adjusting once the system is properly running. Aquaponics is really the Organic version of Hydro. I've spent at least 4 years looking at his system and discussing how to get the best results.

The reason I bring it up is because I keep hearing it does not work well for weed. That seems totally backwards to me because no matter what he planted, it sprouted and grew to maturity in record time. He never planted weed (that I know of) so that's my issue. There are more nutrients in his system than the plants can take advantage of. What makes weed so different?

Top Bottom