What light would you pick?

• Thread starter 916Fisherman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I’m debating on a used 900w Vipar Spectra or 2 of these Chinese boxes. I can get the 2 Chinese boxes cheaper than the used Vipar. It’s been 5+ years since I’ve grown indoor and I’m trying to stay away from Halides. My tent is in my garage and it gets hot in my city. I’m also a salt water reef guy so I have also made the switch from MH to LED and couldn’t be happier.

Plan is for 6 plants in 5-10 gallon pots.

What light would you pick
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have not tried led yet. Im still using hps and finally have a cmh 315 in the toolbox but i thought i would help bump your thread as i am learning as much as i can about led.

I will say you will get different suggestions than the lights you have shown. Strips and boards are mostly recomended for high par and high efficiency.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I have not tried led yet. Im still using hps and finally have a cmh 315 in the toolbox but i thought i would help bump your thread as i am learning as much as i can about led.

I will say you will get different suggestions than the lights you have shown. Strips and boards are mostly recomended for high par and high efficiency.
Thanks. I’m sure there are far better options but I’m on a very limited budget right now.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I Already have a 1000w HID set up but the amount of heat they throw off mixed with outside temps of 100+ makes for an extremely hot and humid tent. Garage is insulated but not temp controlled.

Was looking at LED for less heat and electricity savings.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I Already have a 1000w HID set up but the amount of heat they throw off mixed with outside temps of 100+ makes for an extremely hot and humid tent. Garage is insulated but not temp controlled.

Was looking at LED for less heat and electricity savings.
I hear ya. I run led and love it but I really think you will be disappointed in the results of those fixtures. I don't really care for the Chinese knock offs but there are some knockoff quantum boards that people report good results with. But I think to replace a 1000w hps or mh you would probably be looking at about $400ish with them give or take. I will pm you a place you can check them out.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah cause leds suck🤣😂 quantum boards. I pull 2gpw+ of straight fire. It’s the way to go don’t listen to anyone that says otherwise. I have builds on my posts if you want info

View attachment 875107
Much agreed I run quantum boards also.

I just cant speak to the Chinese knock off ones but others seem to have good results with them.

What I'm trying to say is you won't get an led that will equal or surpass an HID in terms of growth, yield and quality for less than the price of an HID light.

Hands down quantum boards kick ass but you will pay more for LED and the OP doesn't have that in his budget as far as interpreted it

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Much agreed I run quantum boards also.

I just cant speak to the Chinese knock off ones but others seem to have good results with them.

What I'm trying to say is you won't get an led that will equal or surpass an HID in terms of growth, yield and quality for less than the price of an HID light.

Hands down quantum boards kick ass but you will pay more for LED and the OP doesn't have that in his budget as far as interpreted it
I understood what you meant lol. I guess I’ll have to start comparing the cheap knock offs vs the expensive knock offs and see the difference. They’re all made in China anyway lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I understood what you meant lol. I guess I’ll have to start comparing the cheap knock offs vs the expensive knock offs and see the difference. They’re all made in China anyway lol
But not made equally. Those Chinese knock off quantum boards use Samsung 561c diodes those are the ones that HLG used on their v1 boards.

The fixtures you listed are probably epistar garbage and poorly built.

BloodShot

BloodShot

I’m debating on a used 900w Vipar Spectra or 2 of these Chinese boxes. I can get the 2 Chinese boxes cheaper than the used Vipar. It’s been 5+ years since I’ve grown indoor and I’m trying to stay away from Halides. My tent is in my garage and it gets hot in my city. I’m also a salt water reef guy so I have also made the switch from MH to LED and couldn’t be happier.

Plan is for 6 plants in 5-10 gallon pots.
I have grown with cheap Chinese epistar led's for several years and have had some satisfactory results but have blown whole rows and separate diodes from every cheap panel I purchased in a short amount of time and good luck getting any service for them, I didn't.
Recently made the switch to quantum boards and ordered from a place called Atreum Lighting because I saw a person by the handle Buzzer777 put the link up and it was exactly what I felt I needed . "THIS PLACE IS A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE AND GREAT ADVICE " and has served me for years in my quest for knowledge!
Put it together and saved some dollars over other sellers for the same tech.
I am thrilled with the purchase and it only took 4 business days to arrive at my door from China. Threw together a frame quickly from scraps and mounted the heat sinks with panels to it. I have the driver outside of the tent with the exhaust blowing on it to keep it cooler.
If you could manage to get even one board, you could build upon it by purchasing a larger driver.

IMG 3868
IMG 3878
IMG 3861
Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

I had just posted like two min ago on another thread about LED. Of the cheapie ones, a 1200W light is only putting out about ~109 actual watts. So if you’d want to replace a conventional 400W bulb, you would need 4

Don’t know how to link post
Posted more in thread
My New MH/HPS set-up WON'T FLOWER?!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah @Buzzer777 could probably steer you in the right direction. Let's see if we can't tag him enough to get him in here lol. @Buzzer777

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

LMAO....You have awakened me!

Budget?
None really lol. It looks like I’ll be sticking with HID for now or maybe T5. I’m trying to use all my existing equipment and figured since new bulbs are gonna cost $100+ I might as well consider LED at the same price as new bulbs. It doesn’t appear the horticultural side of LED is as advanced as the aquarium side with respect to “budget” fixtures lol.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

None really lol. It looks like I’ll be sticking with HID for now or maybe T5. I’m trying to use all my existing equipment and figured since new bulbs are gonna cost $100+ I might as well consider LED at the same price as new bulbs. It doesn’t appear the horticultural side of LED is as advanced as the aquarium side with respect to “budget” fixtures lol.
The SMD Sammy based lights are NOT really budget..just more watts for the $$.
When you are ready..look around here and then ask away..happy growing. I still have ONE burple left..the other lights are all smd based. The Burple is a high end Unit Farm with Crees that I got free for testing..That is good but old tech and I still love it.

Top Bottom