What method for two different strains in the same tent?

• Thread starter Ml386
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ml386

Ml386

Hi guys.

First time grower. While I intend to start with just a single strain for my first grow and I have heard that soil may be the best method for my first few grows, I do want to ultimately grow using a hydroponic method. Additionally, I would like to be able to grow a sativa dominant hybrid and an indica dominant hybrid in the same tent. I have learned through researching to try to match flowering times, etc. so I attempted to do so when ordering seeds.

My current equipment is as follows:
1. 4x4 tent
2. “6 inline fan with 8” carbon filter
3. 70 pint dehumidifier
4. Hydroton clay pebbles
5. Root riot plugs
6. Seedling tray with dome
7. pH test strips
8. EC/TDS meter
9. pH up and down with testing solution
10. Digital hygrometer
11. Insect spray for prepping the room the tent will be in
12. My lights are two of these at the link below. Two WiFi timers were also purchased.

*I have more items on the list... These are just the items that have been currently purchased. Any suggestions for things I need (or don’t need) are welcome!

The seeds I’ve purchased are
1. Jamaican Dream by Eva Seeds (6)
2. Candy Kush Express RQS (5)
3. Blue Mystic RQS (5)
4. Chocolate Haze RQS (5) *upon further research, I realize that this strain grows huge and is better outdoors. I will save these for later, I suppose.

Free seeds (1 of each):
1. Godberry by Freedom of Seeds
2. C-Vibez by Dutch passion seeds
3. Do Z Dos by pheno finder seeds
4. Auto blue dream by humboldt seed organization
5. Liberty Haze by Barney’s farm
6. RQS Critical (they sent me 6 of these)

I’m thinking I should start with the candy kush? If anyone disagrees, I’d be happy to know!

My question for you guys is this...

What hydroponics system would I use to eventually be able to grow 1 to 2 plants (depending on varying factors) of two different strains? I realize that different strains will require different levels of nutes, etc. Is it possible (or recommended) to have two separate hydro systems in the same tent so that each strain can receive proper nutes? If not, what system would I use for them together? Can you direct me to any tutorials/videos?

While soil may be the way to go initially, I would like to have my set up prepared for hydro now.

Any and all other advice is more than appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I'm a complete newbie, but for what it's worth, I'm 3 weeks into growing 2 different strains using DWC in 2 discreet 5 gal buckets in a small grow tent. They are both feminized and auto-flower, which is what convinced me it would be OK.... here's to hoping I didn't screw up. 🤪

So far it has been as simple as checking and maintaining both buckets separately.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

you're off to a good start...besides the hardware of the setup, you got nice genetics.

coco grow or dwc are probably the 2 main options - modular designs. but you'd want to concentrate on your first grow, rather than future grows. good to gather the stuff together, in preparation.

i choose soil grow for my first indoor, and i'm now starting to lean towards either coco or dwc in first 2-pot system, then expand to 4-pots. each to their own.

the other point you will get to, is expansion from a single room/area into a rotation system with a vegetative and flowering grow areas. at least, you'll be considering it, when you start flowering the main/single area. you might want to take cuttings...etc

i'm growing 2 different strains - i notice the difference in its tendencies, but i think they might be of similar genetics. one trait might be one variety takes longer to mature, one variety might grow tall, one variety might be heavy feeder, etc. you might want to make sure the 2 different strains ain't too different - but if you're growing in different systems for each variety, it wouldn't matter so much.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
If I could suggest instead of running 2 different timers on 2 different lights in the same room, (1 extra failure point) plug both lights into a power bar then plug that whole power bar into 1timer.

More for flowering this way one timer does not fail and leave a light on during dark period.

I'm running 2 different strains in dwc buckets. Make a screen for scrog but make 2 individually and attach them to the seperate bucket lids so if and when you have to change out water lift the plant a screen out together.

Sorry hope this makes sense I just woke up lol

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I use Promix due to it's ability to overcome watering problems/overwatering, and it leaves me in total control over what I put, or don't put, into the medium. At present, it is very simple and pretty much takes care of itself. Regarding different strains, I grow in a larger room with 8 ft high ceilings, so height isn't as much of a concern in general, although I also grow a sativa dominant strain from long ago (Matanuska Thunderf**k) along with some Indica strains. My recommendation is to start first with indica and indica hybrids since they are typically more uniform in size and don't grow as tall, or as long, as a sativa strain. Even with training, my sativa's hit the 7ft mark while the indica is considerably shorter. I think indica is easier to grow in general as well. Once you get the feel of growing, you can try your luck at sativa strains.

MHOGSMI

MHOGSMI

Well, a simple answer to your question would just be timing. Start your sativa pheno first. Give it time to grow and do its thing for a few weeks. Then start your indica so it kicks off around wk 3-4 of veg of the sativa. She'll be ready to flower the same time and you'll have two nice size plants instead of having one massive sativa over run your room. Obviously flower time will differ and you chop the indica first. I run a rdwc with 1 heavy sativa and 1 very indica dominate strain. I'd imagine I'll be cutting the indica first of course. But when it comes to feeding, I feed both strains the same and increase until one shows a little burn. Then that's my max feed point. If the other needs it. I can foliar feed to compensate. Once dialed in. Super easy to run and regulate..

Latest posts

Top Bottom