what reason for taking large clones

• Thread starter flowerdave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
flowerdave

flowerdave

I worked in a greenhouse for 30 years where my expertise was in propagation. A couple million clones a year and about 10 million seedlings a year. Whenever starting clones we used the very tips about a half inch of stem. So a very soft cutting that would be fully rooted in 3 weeks. I see most people that clone cannabis take a much larger harder growth cutting. I did both this summer and the softer smaller cutting rooted much faster than the bigger. Im just wondering what the advantage is to taking a larger cutting.

growsince79

growsince79

I worked in a greenhouse for 30 years where my expertise was in propagation. A couple million clones a year and about 10 million seedlings a year. Whenever starting clones we used the very tips about a half inch of stem. So a very soft cutting that would be fully rooted in 3 weeks. I see most people that clone cannabis take a much larger harder growth cutting. I did both this summer and the softer smaller cutting rooted much faster than the bigger. Im just wondering what the advantage is to taking a larger cutting.
Good question. I always do it your way.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I guess the only advantage I see is less veg time once rooted.
I take clones with at least 3 nodes above ground usually and get roots in 10-14 days. Without much effort.
Long cuts like 6" or more do take a bit longer to root, but I find about 3-4" clones with 3 leaves left on them to be just about right.

I dont have numbers like yours but I have taken probably hundreds of thousands of clones over the years this way, with very little failures, and it never usually takes more than 10-14 days to root. Sometimes as fast as 7 days. Only single time it took longer than 14 days was using rockwool as rooters.
20211009 212535
20211012 094906

Ponky

Ponky

Large cutting I find tend to grow bushier. Thicker stalks. But could be coincidence. Or bias opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom