What should my next move in training her be?

• Thread starter Hobblebush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

I got this plant from a friend a couple weeks ago, I just transplanted 4 days ago and dont really know what actions I should take to train this girl for her best possible life. Any instructions would be greatly appreciated
What should my next move in training her be
What should my next move in training her be 2
What should my next move in training her be 3

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

It looks indica or indica dominant, expect a hedge. Trust me it can be a jungle, speaking from experience here.

yeah shes a heavy indica, just don't want to get ahead of myself in the management and training department. Southern Mountain Cheese, can't find anything about the strain on the internet.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

I would bend the main stalk so all bud sites are even...bending the main to be even with the side branches.
This way, all even bud become main cola sites, not just the two created by topping

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Alright, i guess Im getting kinda antsy, how long does that usually take? just don't wanna end up with a hedge to handle
" just don't wanna end up with a hedge to handle " ??? why? You have a monster pot I hope you intend on a monster plant. How much room do you have under the light? If you have the room then veg for another couple of months, she's just a baby let her grow top top top top as she grows get 50 tops off her if you can wait it out. Big bushy plants is what I want, not trees

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

" just don't wanna end up with a hedge to handle " ??? why? You have a monster pot I hope you intend on a monster plant. How much room do you have under the light? If you have the room then veg for another couple of months, she's just a baby let her grow top top top top as she grows get 50 tops off her if you can wait it out. Big bushy plants is what I want, not trees

I am aiming for a monster bush, just a tamed and trained monster. Ive topped once, should i top the side branches as well? I'm new and don't know how hard I can push a plant. Im ok with the plant not getting its full potential as its my first plant, more looking for this to be a good learning experience and hopefully still get a good plant out of it! The tent is 5x5x6.5. and the lights a Chinese kingplus 1200w or so it claims. (skimped since I didn't have the coin for a 500$+ LED for a first grow). she got light burn being 18 inches from the canopy so now its like a solid 30" above and the plant is doing much better

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I am aiming for a monster bush, just a tamed and trained monster. Ive topped once, should i top the side branches as well? I'm new and don't know how hard I can push a plant. Im ok with the plant not getting its full potential as its my first plant, more looking for this to be a good learning experience and hopefully still get a good plant out of it! The tent is 5x5x6.5. and the lights a Chinese kingplus 1200w or so it claims. (skimped since I didn't have the coin for a 500$+ LED for a first grow). she got light burn being 18 inches from the canopy so now its like a solid 30" above and the plant is doing much better

The answer to your question really depends on how it fits your space. Every cut creates 2 more branches. On the plus side, you can train those new branches too ... using LST type methods. I love @PipeCarver 's example of that.

The only reason not to do it that way in my eyes is if you need to move a crop through quickly. Vegging them out does take extra time.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I wouldnt touch that plant for at least a week or 2. And then I'd just remove unwanted lower suckers from the main branches to prevent it from becoming a rats nest.

But like was mentioned it depends how much space you want it to take up how you prune it going forward.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

The answer to your question really depends on how it fits your space. Every cut creates 2 more branches. On the plus side, you can train those new branches too ... using LST type methods. I love @PipeCarver 's example of that.

The only reason not to do it that way in my eyes is if you need to move a crop through quickly. Vegging them out does take extra time.

I’ve got time, but might want to start another couple plants in the tent, I’ve considered moving her outside and have the roots grow through the fabric pot.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

I wouldnt touch that plant for at least a week or 2. And then I'd just remove unwanted lower suckers from the main branches to prevent it from becoming a rats nest.

But like was mentioned it depends how much space you want it to take up how you prune it going forward.

Its been about 5 days since transplant and 7 since topping. I would like for it it get pretty large but I’m worried I don’t have enough light to cover a massive canopy, don’t wantit to get too out of hand. Mainly looking for pruning and training advice. I’ll wait a bit then remove the lowest branches, just feels so wrong hahaha

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I don't top the side branches or lower branches until they reach up to the top or close to it. I'll spread the plant apart, tie the large branches down and weave lower spindly branches up the stalk to give them full light then when tall enough I top and keep topping every single top available. I have a bit of OCD in that regard, I can't let a single stalk grow. If I see 2 shoots below and I can safely cut without clipping the shoots, I cut until I'm ready to flip then 1 week later I'll flip them

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Its been about 5 days since transplant and 7 since topping. I would like for it it get pretty large but I’m worried I don’t have enough light to cover a massive canopy, don’t wantit to get too out of hand. Mainly looking for pruning and training advice. I’ll wait a bit then remove the lowest branches, just feels so wrong hahaha
Use lower branches as clones.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

I don't top the side branches or lower branches until they reach up to the top or close to it. I'll spread the plant apart, tie the large branches down and weave lower spindly branches up the stalk to give them full light then when tall enough I top and keep topping every single top available. I have a bit of OCD in that regard, I can't let a single stalk grow. If I see 2 shoots below and I can safely cut without clipping the shoots, I cut until I'm ready to flip then 1 week later I'll flip them
Does topping so much affect the plant negatively?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Does topping so much affect the plant negatively?
No but it causes the secondary growth to take over apical dominance, so all the side branches should grow up to a fairly even canopy. My general rule is to wait 11 days between toppings.

Personally I like to grow 10-12 main branch tops per 2x2' space.. so when my plant has that many side branches that's when I top it. Then I only keep the growing tip on each branch and every other node on the branches gets removed as they come in. Those are what i consider the suckers. I'll keep doing that up until I flip and then I dont touch them at all after that, and just let them stretch. I keep only the bud sites that develop during the stretch. Alternately if you wanted say 16 tops, you could top it when you have 8 total growing tips/branches, let those grow out for a couple weeks then top the branches again, and only keep the top 2 nodes below the cut on each of the 8 main branches, so they will grow into 16 secondary branches.

The main thing is all through veg, I only allow a single growing tip on each of the main branches I allow to grow. If you let branches develop more branches on branches it can get out of hand in a hurry, and then you stress the plant trying to remove a bunch of material..

Last edited:
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Not that I've seen these are pics of a Sweet tooth I have growing its about a foot tall and has about 24 tops so far

This is at the very top, these little leaves ar covered and are growing right next to where i topped it, to the left under that is a new node starting i think, at what point should i pinch/ snip the growth on the left there?

this is at the end of one of the lowest branches, should i pinch this stuff or just wait and let it grow? I dont have a great sense of what limbs wont make it to the final flower phase, so i dont know which are worth training and topping. Ive done some research but I often find conflicting opinions such as what and where to top

To reiterate, this was gifted to me a couple weeks ago and most of these cuts were already there with the plant. Different angles if it means anything. Sorry for being such a noob, just tryna get things right

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

not sure if the extra post and photos give you any better info, Im mainly confused i think on just knowing and being able to see how the plant will develop and what will evenetually be chopped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom