what size container are you keeping mother plants in

• Thread starter GreenGalaxyFarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

we have 3 mothers in super soil in 20l fabric pots but looking back we are thinking 40l would have been better? we know the fabric pots air prune but is this going to work to keep them healthy for about 6 to 9 months while we take clones

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Pretty sure you’re talking large scale but for a home DIY...

I’m bumping up from 16” 25L to 20” 30+L. (She was neglected during harvest.)

It’s been vegging since September. Took cuttings not long after. Now she’s getting a makeover, moving to a bit bigger pot and hope to flip before end of month.
A1B764AB 9855 46A3 AB42 7A4AA73BBA49

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I know they say clones keep getting weaker the further they get from the original mama, but I usually ditch the bigger plant and replace it with a nice clone, occasionally.

Two of the former mamas were put into flower recently, but sometimes they just find themselves getting composted.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
we have 3 mothers in super soil in 20l fabric pots but looking back we are thinking 40l would have been better? we know the fabric pots air prune but is this going to work to keep them healthy for about 6 to 9 months while we take clones
With 1 gallon fabric pots you can keep mothers going. How big do you need a mother? Are you planning on a commercial grow? I've a friend with about 8 -9 mothers all in 1 gal and he's had them for years. Just keeps them small to not take up too much space.

I flip the mothers and raise her children to take cuttings from them. Then I take cuttings from the children and flip them, every 2 months I've a fresh round to flip and a fresh group of children to raise....I'm keeping GG#4, Gelato, Gsc, & AK47/blackberry off my last run. 2-3 cuttings off each left me with 9 clones I can take cuttings off when the time comes and the cycle continues.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Pretty sure you’re talking large scale but for a home DIY...

I’m bumping up from 16” 25L to 20” 30+L. (She was neglected during harvest.)

It’s been vegging since September. Took cuttings not long after. Now she’s getting a makeover, moving to a bit bigger pot and hope to flip before end of month.
View attachment 1319983
she looks good ✌️ 🪴

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I know they say clones keep getting weaker the further they get from the original mama, but I usually ditch the bigger plant and replace it with a nice clone, occasionally.

Two of the former mamas were put into flower recently, but sometimes they just find themselves getting composted.
how long do you prefer keeping mother plants

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

With 1 gallon fabric pots you can keep mothers going. How big do you need a mother? Are you planning on a commercial grow? I've a friend with about 8 -9 mothers all in 1 gal and he's had them for years. Just keeps them small to not take up too much space.

I flip the mothers and raise her children to take cuttings from them. Then I take cuttings from the children and flip them, every 2 months I've a fresh round to flip and a fresh group of children to raise....I'm keeping GG#4, Gelato, Gsc, & AK47/blackberry off my last run. 2-3 cuttings off each left me with 9 clones I can take cuttings off when the time comes and the cycle continues.
you keep a selection of popular strains as well good. we require 8-10 mother plants, going to be popping 12 seeds of 4 different landrace inspired strains soon. what germination mothed works best for you. we are testing different options on a hybrid plant now

Moshmen

Moshmen

what type of pot material are you using
and how long could you hold them in 20l ✌️
I use nursery pots (plastic) and I personally would never have a container that big in my tents buts lots of guys/gals do - I can keep one in a 1 gallon container for years if needed.

Tell what you are trying to accomplish ? Are you a newer grower? Are you trying a big comm grow? Or a home grow just Savin favorites ?

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Tell what you are trying to accomplish ? Are you a newer grower? Are you trying a big comm grow? Or a home grow just Savin favorites ?
I am looking to build up a list of strains to take a few clones from, around 40 at a time for outdoor flowering
edit: i have found for the space we have should be able to keep 18 of them and chose from them which to flower, also i am new to indoor growing only started setting up room end of last year not done yet by long shot

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
you keep a selection of popular strains as well good. we require 8-10 mother plants, going to be popping 12 seeds of 4 different landrace inspired strains soon. what germination mothed works best for you. we are testing different options on a hybrid plant now
Germination for me is soak in spring water for 18hrs. use the water the seeds were soaked in to wet paper towel in small plastic container with lid, squeeze out excess water, seed on top add another soaked and squeezed out towel on top, pat down so seed is in contact with damp towel, warm dark location 2 days later plant in pre dampened soil with head above soil, tap root pointing down, water with turkey baster around the seed. not on the seed. dim light for a few days to get started

Moshmen

Moshmen

I am looking to build up a list of strains to take a few clones from, around 40 at a time for outdoor flowering
edit: i have found for the space we have should be able to keep 18 of them and chose from them which to flower, also i am new to indoor growing only started setting up room end of last year not done yet by long shot
It will be an evolving process for you both selecting and keeping a garden that size

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Home grower.

We use 1 gallon pots. It's easier to control their growth. We usually keep them for about 4-5 months and then toss the mom and replace with a clone.

We tried three gallon pots, but they just grew too fast once they had roots. It was almost an every day chore to top/clean up the moms when we had them in 3 gal pots. Granted we also keep like 10 moms in a 5x5, so yeah....

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Home grower.

We use 1 gallon pots. It's easier to control their growth. We usually keep them for about 4-5 months and then toss the mom and replace with a clone.

We tried three gallon pots, but they just grew too fast once they had roots. It was almost an every day chore to top/clean up the moms when we had them in 3 gal pots. Granted we also keep like 10 moms in a 5x5, so yeah....
so from what i'm gathering from you guys is that 5 gal fabric pot is absolutely fine for a mother, hopefully with lower dli we can battle the faster growth
although some growth is absolutely wanted as outdoor season is still 5 months where we plan to run the first flower run while we construct the flower room

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

20 or 50g pot. For a mother. Depends how many cuttings and how long you gonna keep it for as well.
wont the large pots result in trees in a indoor space, thinking ceiling height may become an issue for sure as its hps

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

You might find this of interest. It’s a decent piece on how to keep small mother plants, hence more.
thanks giving this a look now
edit: keen to give this a try in the future project where we use square plastic and compare to fabric of same volume but no root cutting on fabric

Last edited:
Top Bottom