What Size Pots Are Ideal?

• Thread starter Betico
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Betico

Betico

I've got a small tent set up roughly about 16-25 sq ft. I started off seedlings in solo cups. Is moving them into a 6" potting plant good enough? Or will I have to put them in bigger pots?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Cloth pots make your plants happy because they dry out fast. If you dont have a local hydro store you could always look at your local dollar store for some rusable cloth shopping or gift bags. They work great because they are rectangular and fit together nicely in tight spaces.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I've got a small tent set up roughly about 16-25 sq ft. I started off seedlings in solo cups. Is moving them into a 6" potting plant good enough? Or will I have to put them in bigger pots?

16-25 sq ft is not a small tent lol.

That's a 4x4 or a 5x5.

You will want more lighting in the future for a tent that big.

If you do 1 plant per sq ft you can put them in 3 gal nursery pots. They will all be touching pots but maxed out.

The less the plants, the bigger the pots can be.

I have a 2x2 and a 2x1.5 now those are small

Betico

Betico

That's a 4x4 or a 5x5.

If you do 1 plant per sq ft you can put them in 3 gal nursery pots. They will all be touching pots but maxed out.

Think I'll need more lighting even though I have 750 watts of light in there?

Those single CFL are 150watt (actual) each and the LEDs are 300 watt. And another 150 from the tree rig lol.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Think I'll need more lighting even though I have 750 watts of light in there?

Those single CFL are 150watt (actual) each and the LEDs are 300 watt. And another 150 from the tree rig lol.

Hmm can you total the actual wattage and lumens of all lights? I know lumens are for humans but I use it for a rough estimate of light density.

Take your lumens total and divide it by your cu ft of airspace in your tent (length×width×height)

Then you will have a rough idea of lumens per cu ft.

We could get into the inverse square law next lol.
20161114 132422

Inverse Square Law Light Fall Off to the Square

20161114 132629

I was mistaken thinking you had little light. I'm just not sure that much light coming from cfl and led will still fill a 4x4 or 5x5 space well.

I always aim to break the 2000 lumens per cu ft in my tents.

My flowering tent 2x2x5 has 2,910 lumens per cu ft.

My new 2x1.5x2 tent has around 2400 lumens per cu ft.

My lower veg tent chamber is 2x2x1.25 once I'm done installing the 12 bulb t5 it will have 5400 lumens per cu ft.

I can't truly say if I'm overkilling it lmao. But the plants always seem very happy.

I would like to know what kind of light density you have before I answer your question.

Betico

Betico

Hmm can you total the actual wattage and lumens of all lights? I know lumens are for humans but I use it for a rough estimate of light density.

Take your lumens total and divide it by your cu ft of airspace in your tent (length×width×height)

Then you will have a rough idea of lumens per cu ft.

We could get into the inverse square law next lol.
View attachment 651117

View attachment 651116

View attachment 651118

I was mistaken thinking you had little light. I'm just not sure that much light coming from cfl and led will still fill a 4x4 or 5x5 space well.

I always aim to break the 2000 lumens per cu ft in my tents.

My flowering tent 2x2x5 has 2,910 lumens per cu ft.

My new 2x1.5x2 tent has around 2400 lumens per cu ft.

My lower veg tent chamber is 2x2x1.25 once I'm done installing the 12 bulb t5 it will have 5400 lumens per cu ft.

I can't truly say if I'm overkilling it lmao. But the plants always seem very happy.

I would like to know what kind of light density you have before I answer your question.
After doing the calculations in got roughly 3100 lumens per sq ft. My lux meter is ranging around 50k

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
After doing the calculations in got roughly 3100 lumens per sq ft. My lux meter is ranging around 50k

Sounds like a good range to be in.
I'm interested to see how they turn out. There was another cfl thread i read that turned out pretty good. I just forget where it is.

Betico

Betico

Sounds like a good range to be in.
I'm interested to see how they turn out. There was another cfl thread i read that turned out pretty good. I just forget where it is.
Feel free to follow it or me I'll be posting updates on since they're coming in pretty strong already. My purple haze is already releasing a beautiful aroma lol

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I plan to grow in rectanglar 3 gallon pots

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Last edited:
Betico

Betico

https://www.wordans.com/wholesale-c.../s267199-one?gclid=COq77s7x49ACFY22wAodeNwE0g
298120_big.jpg

Long handles and rectangular shape make shopping bags better than cloth pots imo
Remember when using cloth pots you need to leave airspace in between them to take advantage of their drying properties. If they are touching they wont dry out fast and you might as well use plastic pots.
I'm sorry I don't quite understand. You want your plants to dry out quicker? Why? What benefits arise from that?

mancdank

mancdank

That's a 4x4 or a 5x5.

Agreed

mancdank

mancdank

Have u checked the light penetration this seems imho something that u have over looked there's a reason why people are getting good results from 400v tech. them lights u have are ok for cuttings and small plants but u will never get a deep canopy using them the light just can't get through

mancdank

mancdank

https://www.wordans.com/wholesale-c.../s267199-one?gclid=COq77s7x49ACFY22wAodeNwE0g
298120_big.jpg

Long handles and rectangular shape make shopping bags better than cloth pots imo
Remember when using cloth pots you need to leave airspace in between them to take advantage of their drying properties. If they are touching they wont dry out fast and you might as well use plastic pots.
Is this something that u have used yourself or something that your thinking of using I would be sceptical about what they have used in the dye but I guess if u have personally used them that's good enough for me nice find :)

Top Bottom