What Solution Do You Use To Force Male Flowers (for Feminized Seeds)?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

For a slew of different reasons, I have a vegetative female plant that I would like to force to seed. I've educated myself on forcing females to go hermaphroditic, but what I can't seem to figure out is what chemical/solution people prefer.

-> Ed Rosenthal recommends Gibberellins (GA3, 4, 5, or 7), silver thiosulfate, or silver nitrate.
-> I've seen DIY threads for making your own colloidal silver solution with a 9volt battery.

Of all these different solutions, does anyone have successful experience using one or the other, or can you make a recommendation? Thanks!

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

silver water will work great just got to make sure where u spray it u don't get it every where

Perception

Perception

silver water will work great just got to make sure where u spray it u don't get it every where

By this, do you mean avoid foliar spraying? I think I remember reading somewhere that people were just spraying nodes.

gringomike

gringomike

For a slew of different reasons, I have a vegetative female plant that I would like to force to seed. I've educated myself on forcing females to go hermaphroditic, but what I can't seem to figure out is what chemical/solution people prefer.

-> Ed Rosenthal recommends Gibberellins (GA3, 4, 5, or 7), silver thiosulfate, or silver nitrate.
-> I've seen DIY threads for making your own colloidal silver solution with a 9volt battery.

Of all these different solutions, does anyone have successful experience using one or the other, or can you make a recommendation? Thanks!
Did you give it a try? If so how did it work out for you?

Perception

Perception

Did you give it a try? If so how did it work out for you?

I tried and failed. I bought a colloidal silver solution that was suppose to be 30ppm, but came out to 18ppm when i measured it. I sprayed for weeks, and things just didn’t work out.

Granted, i was trying to force this small plant in to flower in a closet, with very blue t5’s. So it wasn’t a perfect environment. Far from it actually.

The plant started to flower, but i never saw any male flowers. I gave up on that experiment about 4 weeks in to flower.

gringomike

gringomike

I tried and failed. I bought a colloidal silver solution that was suppose to be 30ppm, but came out to 18ppm when i measured it. I sprayed for weeks, and things just didn’t work out.

Granted, i was trying to force this small plant in to flower in a closet, with very blue t5’s. So it wasn’t a perfect environment. Far from it actually.

The plant started to flower, but i never saw any male flowers. I gave up on that experiment about 4 weeks in to flower.
I see, and thanks for your reply..And yeah I'd imagine your main issue was the concentration was too weak. I saw some solution for sale near me and it is only listed at 20ppm but could just as well be plain water for all I know so I am thinking of trying to make my own. Good seeds are hard to come by in my location so I was hoping to give it a try.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
By this, do you mean avoid foliar spraying? I think I remember reading somewhere that people were just spraying nodes.
Just dunk a branch in a cup a few times .. No spray bottle necessary

Icemud

Icemud

I haven't had good results with Colloidal silver. So far out of 5 attempts at reversing and producing pollen, 1 of the 5 attempts produced a ton of pollen.... 1 out of 5 attempts must have put out a tiny bit of pollen as I got a few seeds, and 3 of 5 attempts formed pollen sacks that were sterile and had no pollen at all.

I recently picked up the ingredients for making Silver Thiosulfate but haven't used it yet as I am working on a open pollen project with 79 Xmasbud right now.

I have seen some studies (non cannabis) that stated that Silver Thiosulfate had better efficacy than Silver Nitrate by itself. (Silver nitrate is one of the 2 ingredients in Silver Thiosulfate). Others that I have spoken with have said that Silver Thiosulfate works much better than Colloidal silver and requires far less spays/applications. Personally though I haven't used the STS yet.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Got some!!!:D
Cackleberry (Greenpoint Seeds reg) Female Pollen (CS method)

Took a clone and sprayed the crap out of her for about 5 weeks covering all bud sites (used about 1/2 gallon of Home made CS..no idea of the strength)..
Gonna figure out which lady is gonna get porked tonight before lights out..LMAO! (got lots of clones in flower now, just waiting)
(Damn breeding tent is a total mess..Clorox time)
Not like a normal male..just a lil in each sac..but I don't need a lot..;)
4 6 18 Cackleberry female pollen

Icemud

Icemud

I made a batch of Silver Thiosulfate last night..... hit my Trainwreck with a spray last night as well, going to hit it 1x more today, and then wait 5 days, and then flip to 12/12.

If you make this stuff, wear PPE as this silver nitrate is pretty nasty stuff.
20180407 220426

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

From what I have personally seen, silver thiosulfate has the best rates of not herming. I have a buddy that has a bunch of it, and I will be hitting all my most prized mom's.

Icemud

Icemud

From what I have personally seen, silver thiosulfate has the best rates of not herming. I have a buddy that has a bunch of it, and I will be hitting all my most prized mom's.

That is what I have heard as well. I tried Colloidal Silver and it only worked 1x really well, 1x partially well, and 3x failed miserably. Everything I read says STS is the way to go... hit my trainwreck with it already and will knjow in about 3-4 weeks if it works :)

dankninja

dankninja

Got some!!!:D
Cackleberry (Greenpoint Seeds reg) Female Pollen (CS method)

Took a clone and sprayed the crap out of her for about 5 weeks covering all bud sites (used about 1/2 gallon of Home made CS..no idea of the strength)..
Gonna figure out which lady is gonna get porked tonight before lights out..LMAO! (got lots of clones in flower now, just waiting)
(Damn breeding tent is a total mess..Clorox time)
Not like a normal male..just a lil in each sac..but I don't need a lot..;)
View attachment 790457

damn 5 weeks? taking notes...

45North

45North

Ionic silver vs collidial silver

For reversing a female plant?
45n

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Ionic silver vs collidial silver

For reversing a female plant?
45n
Yes..I used the Silver method..
here is my shot at another boring baby picture..but she is all mine..LMAO (Seedsman White Widow x Cackleberry) .
feminized).
She looks nothing like either parent, but a nice mix of the 2..(just what I wanted I think..LOL).
7 11 18 1

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I wrote it up somewhere here..9v power supply (200ma)...999 silver wire (ebay), Distilled water, 25ppm on simple ppm meter (adjusts to about 40ppm )..sprayed from 12/12 flip once per day..if pistils persisted..2x per day until sacs began to open. Painted pollen on a female branch about 10 days in. only got a little..but it was enough for what I wanted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom