What Strain is it? Do you know? A tale of a super weed lost to time and the quest to find out what it was....

• Thread starter SnipesNL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SnipesNL

SnipesNL

So I had a super strain of weed as a kid and have spent a lifetime trying to find out what it was to get it back. Can any of you guys help?
15+ years ago, as a young man, I pulled a bud of excellent weed out of a bag of shitty PineBud weed. Amazingly in that bud was a single seed. We planted it that year and low and behold it was a female plant. We budded out that female plant and to this day it was one of my favorite weeds. Me and a few buddies grew it a bunch more times and everytime it was outstanding. Eventually given our age, the time and our nomadic nature we eventually ran out of clones and mothers and that was the end. Since then we all grew up to become productive members of society and turn into old, responsible medical patients. My buddies and I still discuss this weed. How easy it grew, how utterly amazing it smelled and how nicely it cured.
We would often smoke in a backyard pool hall. We would play a game where we would start to break up a bud inconspicuously on the bar. Despite the place being full of weed and cigarette smoke we would notice within seconds heads starting to turn. People trying to see where this smell came from that just graced their nostrils.
I need that weed again!! Was it a rare pheno of a common weed? Was it a common type of weed that I just never saw before or since? Please PLEASE I need your help.
The weed had the following traits (that we can remember):
(i) Seemed to be largely indica
(ii) Grew fat fan leaves and the edges weren't sharp at the edge but rounded
(iii) Grew extremely easy
(iv) Almost had a reddish/orange appearance from the really orange hairs. This was important at the time. The whole bud almost had a hue of orange to it.
(v) The smell was immaculate. Extremely strong. In an effort to narrow it down I have since asked my buddies the best way to describe it. Their comments: " Smelled sour... but in a fantastic way" , "Sharp... distinctively sharp... wish I could smell it again", "Kushy... but before we knew what kush was"
(vi) The leaves when growing were big and crinkly.... we called them cabbage leaves

Thats about all I can remember. It also cloned super easy. We had less that ideal conditions for most of the grows and they were all deadly. Does this ring any bells? Any suggestions? I have some ideas what I think but I dont want to bias the answers. Please help me and my friends relive our child hoods one more time!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Where at? Trying to think back, back then, Northern Lights (original) and G13 were some of the most popular strains around the US at that time, both of which could be what you described. Good luck, man. Now-a-days, you're trying to find a needle in a haystack in a galaxy...

SnipesNL

SnipesNL

I don't want to bias peoples opinions but I will tell you my thoughts in a couple of days (hopefully after 100s of suggestions ;) )

SnipesNL

SnipesNL

Where at? Trying to think back, back then, Northern Lights (original) and G13 were some of the most popular strains around the US at that time, both of which could be what you described. Good luck, man. Now-a-days, you're trying to find a needle in a haystack in a galaxy...

Eastern Canada at the time. The weed probably didnt originate here back then but who knows. It was literally one bud inbedded in a pile of what was called Pine Bud which was a fluffy, possible outdoor, weed that smelled like gas but not in a good way. In amongst it was a nug of tight, light green with an orange hue, stinky delicious weed

SnipesNL

SnipesNL

The G13 really seems to check alot of boxes. One thing I have found interesting is the variety of opinions on certain breeders version of this strain. Are you familiar enough with the strain to suggest a breeder? Mr.Nice (Sensei?)

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

If you pulled the seed out of "a bag of shity pine Bud weed" it was a seed from that same shity Pine bud.

SnipesNL

SnipesNL

If you pulled the seed out of "a bag of shity pine Bud weed" it was a seed from that same shity Pine bud.
No I pulled a bud of different weed out of the shitty pine bud weed that was different. In that bud was a seed.

SnipesNL

SnipesNL

Hahah don't rain on my parade!! Its definitely a long shot at this point. I am just desperate and it was so distinct that maybe someone will throw out a name that will turn out correct. I am worried that it was a good pheno of a strain. If thats the case the odds drop drastically. If its from a stable strain I may have more luck. Finding the exact weed is probably unlikely but if I can get in the right area I may be able to get close. I know wishful thinking but its all I got!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
The G13 really seems to check alot of boxes. One thing I have found interesting is the variety of opinions on certain breeders version of this strain. Are you familiar enough with the strain to suggest a breeder? Mr.Nice (Sensei?)

I don't know for sure about any of the breeders working with G13 now days. I just know there was a lot of home grown G13 going around back then. Had a friend who's dad grew some. If I wanted to make sure I was stuck in a chair and got nothing done all day, I smoked that. :D

SnipesNL

SnipesNL

Yah 0.00001% chance lol, but hopes and dreams are free. :)

Pessimists! I have no other choice. I have grown out everything that I can from reading descriptions but obviously theres a zillion strains. If nothing else this is at least a way to streamline my strain selection somewhat.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think the dealer put a bud of his headstash in the bag of much crappier weed because it was short. So while smoking the crappy weed the one bud seemed amazing.

SnipesNL

SnipesNL

I think the dealer put a bud of his headstash in the bag of much crappier weed because it was short. So while smoking the crappy weed the one bud seemed amazing.

Thats exactly what happened from what I can tell. He brought the weight up to what it was supposed to by giving me a nug of the good stuff. At the time I actually went back and asked him what it was and he at least acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. I genuinely believed him but obviously someone must have levelled up the weight.

SnipesNL

SnipesNL

WHAT MY THOUGHTS WERE ON WHAT IT WAS PRIOR TO POSTING THIS THREAD:

So over the last few years I have been trying some different strains to see if I could narrow down the search field. As I had no direct name or idea on what it was and had never grown or seen anything close to it (I may have smoked similar weed a few times over the year but it was never very similar and was always from an unknown bag) I pretty much just started reading threads and googling different strains when something sounded familiar.
What I eventually settled on was it was a Cheese or cheese derivative. I want to point out I had never knowingly smoked cheese nore seen it grow. But some pictures looked similar and people always described a unique smell. My second disclaimer is that I am not good with smells. Maybe its years of smoking or allergies but I am not very good at saying this smells like that. The smell descriptors in this post I used I got from my buddies - who were generally very good with smells and tastes of weeds. The cheese was heavy Indica (original being a skunk #1 pheno), often appeared to have orange hue and similar comments made by people growing it. After growing cheeses from pretty much every seed bank I have found many similarities but nothing that was close enough to think it was a match . I had for a few years thought maybe I need the right pheno or the right breeder. But just prior to this post I had come to conclusion that I still wasnt in the right strain . Feeling desperate and defeated - an a little lighter in the pocket from endless seed purchases - I posted this thread.

What has renewed my hope is the answers in this thread and on other forums I posted this same thing to. The suggestions have been things like "Afghan x Skunk" and "Master Kush" .. Both these look like good options. What makes me even more hopeful is they have similar plants in some of their lineage to each other and to the cheese. This makes me think that at least I am in the right ballpark and may be able to narrow further if these dont turn out to be very similar. New genetics and new opportunities to chase the holy grail!!!

Im pumped.... though the seedbanks are going to take me for another stack this Christmas!

william76

william76

Are u familiar with northern lights?,if u get the real things it stinks to high heaven and is real strong indica,couchlock if overdone,great strain,as good as anything around.the other strain than came to mind was red haired skunk,smells lovely and ur description of the buds is spot on too.76

Top Bottom