Solved What this site needs is a chatroom

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

We need a chatroom, some kind of instant message-style space for people to have open forum discussions. Threads are nice, but they lack a certain feel of real-time conversation.

Soooo... is this something within the realm of possibility?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Some form of instant messaging would be nice.

outwest

squiggly

squiggly

I think a chatroom is a great idea.

I am concerned that instant messaging might detract from thread content. Someone might just ask a friend rather than posting something which could later be used as a reference for the community. I don't think a chatroom (or perhaps even a system of chatrooms--plant problems, smoker's lounge, political corner) would detract from content in that way, and actually could present a path to some new and interesting community elements (and threads).

There is one glaring issue with this, and that is moderation. Modding a chatroom is a totally different beast than modding threads--and there is a much greater opportunity for hackers, dickheads, weirdos, and even law enforcement there.

As an at your own risk kind of thing, though. I think it could be really beneficial--great idea imo dude!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I think a chatroom is a great idea.

I am concerned that instant messaging might detract from thread content. Someone might just ask a friend rather than posting something which could later be used as a reference for the community. I don't think a chatroom (or perhaps even a system of chatrooms--plant problems, smoker's lounge, political corner) would detract from content in that way, and actually could present a path to some new and interesting community elements (and threads).

There is one glaring issue with this, and that is moderation. Modding a chatroom is a totally different beast than modding threads--and there is a much greater opportunity for hackers, dickheads, weirdos, and even law enforcement there.

As an at your own risk kind of thing, though. I think it could be really beneficial--great idea imo dude!

As always, you make excellent points for consideration!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I agree with you, Squiggly, it is a bit of a can of worms. Moderating such a chatroom could quickly devolve into babysitting with attitude. Yet, the potential benefits are significant.

Perhaps a private chat system, where you could invite specific people to converse? This would be far less likely to end up as a public brawl.

I noticed the site is 'best viewed with Google Chrome', does that mean they just want us to use Google plus? I'm sure I'm not alone in that I don't run Chrome, so that approach would make things tougher for those of us who aren't on that platform.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Fair enough. I can see enough issues with doing it that the decision not to is logical. Thanks for the prompt response.

Top Bottom