What to do about a Hermie

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ArrEll

ArrEll

This particular plant was a clone someone gave me of unknown parentage. We have had several light leaks. I have been lax with that. A few times when people came over, they wanted to take a peek and we turned the lights on during the dark. I will never do that again.

AS FOR "friends" coming over & wanting to take a peek: I would not do that. We post our Pics here and everyone feel Free to be themselves, but as for letting people (locally) know that you're Growing.....I just wouldn't. My wife (necessarily) is the only one that knows I'm growing 2 plants in the bedroom. No one else. And I live in a "Legal" State. Doesn't matter; cops may be Bored & get wind of it....they'll want to check you out. The last thing any of us needs, is Inquisitive Police poking through our homes. Remember, once inside - they're looking for ANYTHING they can find. Guns, etc. ANYTHING. It's in their blood.

Just: SSSHHHhhhhhhh.....

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

This particular plant was a clone someone gave me of unknown parentage. We have had several light leaks. I have been lax with that. A few times when people came over, they wanted to take a peek and we turned the lights on during the dark. I will never do that again.
This is exactly why youre having the issue now. Plants take time for phytochrome far red to shift but the INSTANT they see IR/far red light they switch back. This mean that even giving them light for a fraction of a second will tell the plants that its daylight again, already, and it fucks them right up. Light stress is the #1 way to hermie a plant (well, besides colloidal silver lol) those nanners will have feminized pollen in them and they can and will pollinate your crop. But at least if they do get pollinated, you'll end up with feminized seeds. (Not sure if i would use them since the genetics are obviously weaker, but hey, silver linings and all that. If you leave even 1 banana behind and it opens up, your fan will spread it around and that banana will have fun fucking all your girls. As soon as they get pollinated they stop producing essential oils/cannabinoids. So yeah, if you want to keep that plant then make sure you get every single nanner. Check again daily because more will grow.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

But now you know. Lol
Mistakes happen. It’s how we respond to them that make us better gardeners.
This ^^ We all make mistakes, what makes you a better grower is recognizing that you screwed up and learning to do better. Even after growing for as long as i have, ill be the first to admit that there is still plenty of learning left to do. Every mistake you make SHOULD be one less that youll make in the future. To quote Nelson Mandela: "i never lose, i only win, or learn."

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

This is exactly why youre having the issue now. Plants take time for phytochrome far red to shift but the INSTANT they see IR/far red light they switch back. This mean that even giving them light for a fraction of a second will tell the plants that its daylight again, already, and it fucks them right up. Light stress is the #1 way to hermie a plant (well, besides colloidal silver lol) those nanners will have feminized pollen in them and they can and will pollinate your crop. But at least if they do get pollinated, you'll end up with feminized seeds. (Not sure if i would use them since the genetics are obviously weaker, but hey, silver linings and all that. If you leave even 1 banana behind and it opens up, your fan will spread it around and that banana will have fun fucking all your girls. As soon as they get pollinated they stop producing essential oils/cannabinoids. So yeah, if you want to keep that plant then make sure you get every single nanner. Check again daily because more will grow.
I agree that light stress can trigger a plant to hermie, but it is not the active agent that actually does the deed. It's poor genetics that make the plant susceptible to the light as a trigger.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

This is for everyone here, i have this pic in my phone and this problem made me think of it so i had to share......i give you... Dirty Nanners:
Download

If anyone cares, its a crop from this pic:
5d64ca798706140fe80ad1eeed6ea4e2

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

I agree that light stress can trigger a plant to hermie, but it is not the active agent that actually does the deed. It's poor genetics that make the plant susceptible to the light as a trigger.
Interesting- it was a clone from a friend, unknown genetics but the nickname is Orange Sunshine

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Interesting- it was a clone from a friend, unknown genetics but the nickname is Orange Sunshine
Honestly, if it were me, i would isolate that plant and strip all but a few nanners off, let those few leftover mature and WATCH CLOSELY then pluck em off and open them up and use a mini paintbrush to "paint" the pollen onto the hairs of one or buds. That way you should be able to harvest the rest of the buds without issue (as long as you plucked all the other bananas off) and the plant will only grow seeds on those 1 or 2 buds that you "painted" and those seeds will be feminized versions of that clone. However, when feminizing this way, it can go both ways, in some seeds, the weaker aspects of its genetics will be strengthened and in other seeds it will be made worse. I would pop the seeds and watch closely, pick the best 2 phenotypes and THEN take clones from your newly made fem. If i had 1 plant that hermied, this is what i would be doing, just to give you another option. I would also save some of that feminized pollen and use it to pollinate a different female plant in the future to make your own customized, feminized hydrid. I bet that orange sunshine would make a real tasty cross with blueberry, for example, or cross it with something like strawberry cough and call it daiquiri cough or daiquiri sunset or some shit, the choices are almost limitless.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Honestly, if it were me, i would isolate that plant and strip all but a few nanners off, let those few leftover mature and WATCH CLOSELY then pluck em off and open them up and use a mini paintbrush to "paint" the pollen onto the hairs of one or buds. That way you should be able to harvest the rest of the buds without issue (as long as you plucked all the other bananas off) and the plant will only grow seeds on those 1 or 2 buds that you "painted" and those seeds will be feminized versions of that clone. However, when feminizing this way, it can go both ways, in some seeds, the weaker aspects of its genetics will be strengthened and in other seeds it will be made worse. I would pop the seeds and watch closely, pick the best 2 phenotypes and THEN take clones from your newly made fem. If i had 1 plant that hermied, this is what i would be doing, just to give you another option.
Nothing like tossing down a mini course in breeding...

Glassdub

Glassdub

I don’t know if you can make out the tiny yellow bananas at the tip of this bud.
I must be blind because I can't, viewing remotely from work on a slow connection isn't helping but examples I've seem have been more defined.

Latest posts

Top Bottom