What to do when roots grow together in DWC and you need to transplant them? Cut roots?

• Thread starter Thegreywizard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

So I've ran into a situation where I have 2 plants in a large rubbermaid that have grown together to the point I can't get them apart.

I need to transplant them into a bigger system, can I cut the roots at all or would that destroy them?

What options are there for a situation like this?

gristle

gristle

Have you tried fully submerging root systems and working them apart? They tend to suspend and will separate, work all angles and work slowly. Cutting them down the middle shouldn't be a problem either, just give them a little time to bounce back.

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Yeah I'm gonna try again, but if anything they've just grown together more.

Is it best to just cleanly cut them down the middle, not tear them apart?

What about the the root ends that stay tangled & die off after getting cut, do I need to worry about them rotting?

I usually do weekly water changes & I plan on adding an enzyme to my DWC. I bought Rid-X, I just need to figure out how much to use per gallon for DWC.

Also, how long does it take them to bounce back after doing something like this, a week?

gristle

gristle

Are the roots confined to the reservoir,? or can you take them out and place in a large tote full of water?
Me personally would opt to cut them rather than rip them off I had to. Maybe dunk them in water after to shake the severed ends free.
Yes, add an enzyme, I've used cannazym in the past with success.
I would say less than a week if your dwc is dialed in.

gristle

gristle

They are extremely resilient when healthy, don't stress too much about it. Watch a video on root pruning a bonsai beforehand, that should put your mind at ease at how much a plant in general can withstand.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Cut them but make sure to massage the bad roots off the plants. If your sterile you don't want decaying roots in your system. Make sure to clean your filter frequently too.

Out of the 6 I cut only one plant showed deficiencies but bounced back quick.

As long as that's your only issue ur fine since your hydro.

I recommend putting some walls inside the tote.

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Ok great info, thanks guys.

I'm not doing a sterile rez, but I'll still try to clean them up as best as I can.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom