What to take into consideration if increasing watering times perday.

• Thread starter elcolombiano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
elcolombiano

elcolombiano

Hi, i would appreciate some input, please.

Context: A friend has a photosenstive plant (HSO's Black D.O.G) growing in a 1.5 gal coco-coir hempy bucket (drain hole 2 inches above bottom, reservoir filled with perlite, all else is coco coir). Temps are 16-24 C / 60 F - 75 F, RH 60-66%. He did manifold technique for 8 colas (but screwed up and now has only 5 colas), and is in day 69 since he put the seed to germinate.
He feeds/waters once per day every morning but he is worried that the last couple of weeks the reservoir is completely empty by the next watering/feeding, and as days go by, coco is also looking drier every morning. So, we concluded the plant needs more water.
When reservoir wouldn't dry out, he would check ppms of the water from the reservoir before feeding and was always low (0.6 EC in, 0.1-0.2 EC out/reservoir. He uses Mega Crop old version). Now, as he has no water in the reservoir to measure, he started checking runoff just after watering/feeding and it is also 0.1-0.2 ec.

He tried using more water but still the reservoir dries out by next day. He tried increasing EC but leaves got dark green and some started showing yellow tips, so he went back to the EC he had been using. I advised he should try to water/feed twice a day, specially now that he plans to switch into flowering in a few days, but not sure what else he should do.

What would you advise?

Should he reduce EC of the second watering/feed or just give the same EC he gives in the morning? I would believe it should be lower but not sure how much lower. Or should both daily waterings/feeds be lower than what he is using? or should he water/feed more than twice at really low EC?

Thanks for any input!

Edit: @justiceman , any thoughts?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I grow in Promix, but if your plant is drinking up the water that is provided, I would increase the watering to twice a day or a bigger dose once a day. A 1.5 gallon pot won't hold much water, so a larger container would help to keep more water available. I know coco is different than promix, but if your plants are thirsty, I don't see any advantages to not giving them a drink, urban canna-legend not included. I only feed every 10-15 days, so my preference would be a water only for the one watering and continue on with your regular regimen if it is working out well.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i see you called justice man,maybe this will help,make a gallon of the normal mix you make,add to the bucket to you get to your fill line,save the rest for later that day and top it off,repeat daily,flowering plants require more food,and it already sucking out to your 2in hole,i asume you have a tube outside the bucket were you can see the feed drop,anyway in coco i was feeding 4 times a day with another plant feeding 5 times,welcome to coco no room for slackers and lot of work was for me anyway,got to ask ,just cant understand why folks come on and get info for others seems kinda odd to me,get your friend on the site too,no shame in the game these days

elcolombiano

elcolombiano

i see you called justice man,maybe this will help,make a gallon of the normal mix you make,add to the bucket to you get to your fill line,save the rest for later that day and top it off,repeat daily,flowering plants require more food,and it already sucking out to your 2in hole,i asume you have a tube outside the bucket were you can see the feed drop,anyway in coco i was feeding 4 times a day with another plant feeding 5 times,welcome to coco no room for slackers and lot of work was for me anyway,got to ask ,just cant understand why folks come on and get info for others seems kinda odd to me,get your friend on the site too,no shame in the game these days

we have had great success following justiceman's ways and other's advice here... more my friend than I have because i've had several issues getting my grow started. with his previous plants under same setup and all my friend only needed to feed/water once a day, so in a sorta panic he asked me to start asking around here. he is active in other forums... not sure why he doesn't want to register here or if he already asked over at his forums, but sometimes he asks me to ask stuff he wants to know here too since i like these forums and have found very usefull info here and I don't mind doing the favor.

any how, thanks! i did initially suggest what you say, but he doesn't want to overfert the plant. what i thought is that this wouldn't happen since runoff is way less than input water, but he seemed unsure. later tonight i'll talk to him again and see what they told him in his forums of choice and what hehas decided to do.

by the way if i may ask, in what sized container would you have to water 4-5 times? was that frecuency needed because of the size of the container or just to improve results?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

we have had great success following justiceman's ways and other's advice here... more my friend than I have because i've had several issues getting my grow started. with his previous plants under same setup and all my friend only needed to feed/water once a day, so in a sorta panic he asked me to start asking around here. he is active in other forums... not sure why he doesn't want to register here or if he already asked over at his forums, but sometimes he asks me to ask stuff he wants to know here too since i like these forums and have found very usefull info here and I don't mind doing the favor.

any how, thanks! i did initially suggest what you say, but he doesn't want to overfert the plant. what i thought is that this wouldn't happen since runoff is way less than input water, but he seemed unsure. later tonight i'll talk to him again and see what they told him in his forums of choice and what hehas decided to do.

by the way if i may ask, in what sized container would you have to water 4-5 times? was that frecuency needed because of the size of the container or just to improve results?
tell his old ass to get back and show his face lmao,great dude check out his blood and bone thread here,3 gal pots friend,thing with coco is exchange,every time you water it exchange air,with the 20% runoff all talk about ,it is washing salts out of your pots,coco cant get dry and you cant over water it,only way is when you add peat moss products with it,coco no cant over water it,during veg cycle i feed once a day,when the flowers come on they hungry bitchs so you have to feed more,no such thing as water water feed with coco,it has nothing for the plant at all if you dig,it is depending on you,4 times a day no shit and my roy walker was 5 times a day,i dont even think you could get away feeding twice a day in flower,plants will show you that,so with my 3 gal pots and 16 plants to feed ,i was mixing 5 gallons of nutrients a day,feed to a runoff and walk on feed again as you have to,not when you want to but have too,take my advice here,in coco you mind straight up,they get a little spooky and you wont cure it any time soon just sayin,i mixed my nutes and that 5 gal was for the whole day and each feed ,anyway tell bro tater chip come hang out or tell me were he at so i can visit,tell him im still old school and still dont do social media and shit,hey hope this helps ,ask more coco growers and take what you think is right and rock on,good luck,i think your fixing to find soil is so much better hahahah lot of work with coco and picky bitch they will be

Top Bottom