What to use for bugs.

• Thread starter Flowertop.1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Flowertop.1

I have these spots on too many leaves. They are grown outdoors. I’ve been told to use Dawn dish soap, but am afraid to do so. Can anyone help me? Thanks

What to use for bugs
What to use for bugs 2
What to use for bugs 3
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm not positive but I think caterpillars make holes like that, I'm not sure what else, grasshoppers maybe? Check closely especially under your leaves

Soap as you mentioned, neem oil or maybe try some de
So I poked around a bit and I think you've got something called flea beetles. I don't know much else about them but the damage I saw was consistent with yours and in many of those cases these were the culprit identified with yellow stickies.

It could be something else but I think you should at least search them and the images of their damage. Good luck & let us know what you use and how it works out?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I have these spots on too many leaves. They are grown outdoors. I’ve been told to use Dawn dish soap, but am afraid to do so. Can anyone help me? Thanks
Yup, looks like moth/butterfly larva and/or grasshoppers. Inspect closely and remove any you find. Neem oil should help but it's a bit late in the season to use it as it will effect taste. Dawn soap (no other additives) 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, mix well and add to sprayer.

Honestly it's better to just pick them off. Yeah, they do some damage but that's normal.
20190717 072843

You can see the holes on this girl. She's doing great.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

If Beachwalker is correct you'll want to inspect the leaves real close with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe. You should have both on hand.

F

Flowertop.1

Yup, looks like moth/butterfly larva and/or grasshoppers. Inspect closely and remove any you find. Neem oil should help but it's a bit late in the season to use it as it will effect taste. Dawn soap (no other additives) 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, mix well and add to sprayer.

Honestly it's better to just pick them off. Yeah, they do some damage but that's normal.
View attachment 881725
Thankyou for the quick reply. I will give the dish soap a try.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Those look like caterpillar holes. Check on he underside of leaves. I use captain jacks dead bug on my edible garden plants. The caterpillars are dead within hours. They can cause a lot of damage quickly.

You could try putting insect netting over the plants once you kill the pest causing the damage.

F

Flowertop.1

View attachment 881725
I was kind of wondering if a few marks was anything to worry about. My son says aphids or leaf hoppers. I’m going to try the Dawn because bugs don’t like it! Thankyou!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Let the top soil of all your plants dry, buy a bag of food grade de earth at any hardware store, sprinkle the dust lightly around your plants, you can even lightly dust the fans, do not dust flower, leave for 72 hours flush plants lightly and check your ph.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Those look like caterpillar holes. Check on he underside of leaves. I use captain jacks dead bug on my edible garden plants. The caterpillars are dead within hours. They can cause a lot of damage quickly.

You could try putting insect netting over the plants once you kill the pest causing the damage.

Other organic options include azamax and azera. I would avoid neem if you’re starting to flower.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I poked around a bit and I think you've got something called flea beetles. I don't know much else about them but the damage I saw was consistent with yours and in many of those cases these were the culprit identified with yellow stickies.

It could be something else but I think you should at least search them and the images of their damage. Good luck & let us know what you use and how it works out?
I found a lot of information about flea beetles here on THC farmer you might want to start your search right here

F

Flowertop.1

I found a lot of information about flea beetles here on THC farmer you might want to start your search right here
I just soaped them. While doing that I found quite a few little bright green bugs that hop. They aren’t so little that you would need a magnifying glass.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Leaf hoppers. I got 'em too as well as inch worms (moth larva) and baby grasshoppers. Maybe I should put some bird feeders around the garden.

Top Bottom