What up? - from a Medicinal Cannabis Caregiver and Patient

• Thread starter L1QU1D13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

L1QU1D13

Just wanted to introduce myself and test out my profile settings, for what it's worth...

I'm currently a medical cannabis caregiver and a patient. I live in Michigan, where in April of 2008 we voted on our Medical Marijuana Act and passed it through. I am also a strong supporter of NORML and MI-NORML.

I'm not new to the Forum going experience as I've been around the net quite a bit. I started my Forum going a while back when I was younger. I was probably about 16 when I signed up on my first forum, Overgrow.com... I learned A LOT there. I also became quite the educated cultivator during my membership there... I actually was a participant on the creation of the GrowFAQ there at Overgrow.com... Unfortunately a lot of our hardwork was dismantled by law enforcement a few years after I had signed up there. That experience drove many of the members of our site deep underground for fear of the websites database being compromised and the risk of possible arrest was overwhelming.

But now I'm back! This time, I'm legally allowed to cultivate my favorite plant! I have read the Michigan MMJ Act front to back and my grow op is 100% in accordance with the law.

A little about my cultivation experience. Umm, I've taken a general Botany class at my local community college, for what it's worth. Learned a lot about plant life in general. Turns out cannabis is simply an annual flower.

Also, being a caregiver I've taken and helped out with a couple of Medical Cannabis Cultivation classes at our newly founded MedGrow Cannabis College ( http://www.medgrowmi.com/ ) here in Michigan...

So at any rate, that's my deal in a "nut shell"... lol Looking forward to some good times and some good education here. This forum looks awesome. I love the theme. I'm a natural THC Farmer so I should feel right at home here. Hope I can be of some help as well as learn some more! The one thing I learned about cultivation is that it's a constant learning process.

Cya 'round and thanks for reading!

G

GreenGro

Hey Liquid

Great little introduction.
Since it has always been lillegal in my and many other states, I have avoided any growing. i have the pleasure of being between careers and the introduction of legalized MM. I'm trying to put together a plan of attack on opening a grow house. As posted in my introduction, I want it to have optimum everything; air flow, lighting, CO2... I've started the intensive leg work of trying to put those numbers together while also looking for a source with some numbers already figured out. Would you have an idea of a place where I can find the cost/sq ft to build out a top notch fully equipped grow facility or even a full list of material needed? Appreciate any help and good luck on all your moves.

D

dr.tree

Welcome! Glad you are now legal. I'm legal in Washington state. Just getting my room up and running.

L

L1QU1D13

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

GreenGro, that sounds great man. I too would someday like to have a nice grow-shop/nursery/smoke lounge/dispensary...lol

Much of what you're asking depends on a lot of things my friend. Many of it on your knowledge of growing cannabis and a lot of it depends on your locational capabilities.

Here's an idea of what you should be thinking about though:

1. Knowledge, Read every growfaq on every forum you can find. Maybe go invest in some good cannabis cultivation books. There are a LOT! Once you have a good understanding of what it takes to grow a cannabis plant then and only then can you move on...
2. Hydroponics or soil? Have you decided on which grow medium will best suit your needs? I prefer soil because I only grow like 6 plants at a time and I prefer the higher quality fully-developed growth soil grown plants seem to exhibit.
3. Lighting! You will need to supply your babies with good light. How big of an area do you have to cover? Vegetative phase lighting and Bloom phase lighting, you'll need both.
4. Fertilizer! This is largely personal preference. I use Fox Farms and Botanicare.
5. Other environmental factors, such as temperature control, humidity control, C02 levels (if you choose to add C02), bugs (gotta remember that if they can get in, THEY WILL.), and light reflection/efficiency are all very important factors when thinking about the design of your grow room.
6. Safety, security, and visibility. Legal or not, I like to keep things as discreet as possible.
7. More knowledge! As you begin your project you will constantly be running into situations where even the books won't help ya. It's a constant learning process. No matter how much ya know.

G

GreenGro

Thanks!!
Not to minimize what you just graciously advised but I know the basics listed in your brief help list. I went to Oaksterdam and took the basic and advance courses- Ed rosenthal was one of the instructors. (I know that doesn't make me a grower-but taught the list above and then some). I will not get 'hands on' til I have the room set up-not legal in the state so can't go find a job someplace either. I know I need lights, air flow, CO2, soil, fert... I was looking to shorten the work load needed to add up the cost of each light fixture, each linear foot of plumbing,... but i guess this may not be readily available. I have found the details on the avg yeild sq/ft so i thought this may be available as well.
Anyway, I guess because I am working p/t in a very large (acres)greenhouse (not MM) i have a visual of all the piping to irrigate, the temp and humidity controls systems, the carts and rail systems... I was using that to fuel my thoughts. I am looking for what it would cost to set that up on a much smaller scale-indoor with soil. I guess I'll have to find a way to ask the owners w/o letting them know my intent-very religious and may not be fond of the idea. I also understand some of the differences and importance for example-they don't have a dark control flowering room or CO2.
I don't know what finite details are and realize obsticles exist every step of the way but was hoping that these numbers exist somewhere in a condensed form where i could get a solid ball park to work off of. An example of what I was looking for; lets say there was a 10,000 sq ft grower out there-he may know that his build out cost him when he first set up-$100,000 for example. I would then know that when i was ready and say I was going 1,000 sq/ft I would budget for $10,000 plus a % more for economies of scale. This would include all the mat'l for lights, CO2, tables, plumbing, temp control... Plants, seed, soil, fert... raw mat'l would all be extra-just the build out i was looking for.
Well thanks for the help-glad i found this place and I'm sure i will learn a lot here. Hope to be able to return the favor someday also.

C

CAPO

Howdy, L1QU1D........I like your avatar...what kind of genetics do you like?

wonderinalice

wonderinalice

Welcome!! Looking forward to some more pics/knowledge ....Sure you'll like it here! I'm so glad more states are coming around to the medicinal benefits of such a beautiful plant!!

L

L1QU1D13

Thanks!!
Not to minimize what you just graciously advised but I know the basics listed in your brief help list. I went to Oaksterdam and took the basic and advance courses- Ed rosenthal was one of the instructors. (I know that doesn't make me a grower-but taught the list above and then some). I will not get 'hands on' til I have the room set up-not legal in the state so can't go find a job someplace either. I know I need lights, air flow, CO2, soil, fert... I was looking to shorten the work load needed to add up the cost of each light fixture, each linear foot of plumbing,... but i guess this may not be readily available. I have found the details on the avg yeild sq/ft so i thought this may be available as well.
Anyway, I guess because I am working p/t in a very large (acres)greenhouse (not MM) i have a visual of all the piping to irrigate, the temp and humidity controls systems, the carts and rail systems... I was using that to fuel my thoughts. I am looking for what it would cost to set that up on a much smaller scale-indoor with soil. I guess I'll have to find a way to ask the owners w/o letting them know my intent-very religious and may not be fond of the idea. I also understand some of the differences and importance for example-they don't have a dark control flowering room or CO2.
I don't know what finite details are and realize obsticles exist every step of the way but was hoping that these numbers exist somewhere in a condensed form where i could get a solid ball park to work off of. An example of what I was looking for; lets say there was a 10,000 sq ft grower out there-he may know that his build out cost him when he first set up-$100,000 for example. I would then know that when i was ready and say I was going 1,000 sq/ft I would budget for $10,000 plus a % more for economies of scale. This would include all the mat'l for lights, CO2, tables, plumbing, temp control... Plants, seed, soil, fert... raw mat'l would all be extra-just the build out i was looking for.
Well thanks for the help-glad i found this place and I'm sure i will learn a lot here. Hope to be able to return the favor someday also.

Oh, awesome man! Ed Rosenthal is a smart guy. Though I don't particularly agree with everything he says.

See I just grow for myself and a couple patients man I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as cost goes on a business scale. It appears you want to start a large business. I'de imagine it would be very expensive to get the ball rolling starting from scratch... lol

I guess you just need to browse the net for all the equipment you want/need and price it all out man.

Hey CAPO, thanks! I like a lot of strains. Though my favorite is Hawaiian Snow from GHS. But I love em all. I'll try any strain. But for my personal use and preference, anything Sativa, for sure. I love those huge fruity Sativas like no other. Hard to grow indoors though. Well worth the wait however!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Top Bottom