What Were We Smoking In The 70’s

• Thread starter A NewPhase
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

Ik, my friends mom had indoor plants, 3-4’ tall, in front of their picture window, she would give us the gold leaves that fell off Lol, i dont remember getting high :0/
Everybody grew their seeds at some point. My first real grow in ‘76 was plants i found outside a college dorm and transplanted. Kids just threw the seeds out their windows back then, landed under some shrubs.

MBVapester

MBVapester

Everybody grew their seeds at some point. My first real grow in ‘76 was plants i found outside a college dorm and transplanted. Kids just threw the seeds out their windows back then, landed under some shrubs.
Very true except with our northern short summer we couldn’t get anything close to the bag it was the year before.

Imone

Imone

As i remember it was all sativa. My first experience with afghan convinced us any weed with big stripes seeds was good shit. My friend planted it behind his dads hog barn where the run off was producing a good tea....it was like getting hit by a brick and you didnt move for ten minutes after a couple of tokes. No creeper no giggles just fucked up to the max. Like the opening notes of Bridge of Sighs...then people started cross breeding and killing male plants etc.

A NewPhase

A NewPhase

Sinsemilla was mythical

YES!!!!!! I remember a friend was working at GM, on the production lines, making damn good money for 1980, had a big bag of green, other than HighTimes mag pictures, i had never really laid eyes on green weed with red hairs :0)

Papasomni

Papasomni

Ahhhhh,.... the 70s. Mexican brick weed. I lived in el paso texas. 80 bucks a pound and 120 a key

Madbud

Madbud

Ahhhhh,.... the 70s. Mexican brick weed. I lived in el paso texas. 80 bucks a pound and 120 a key
There was also michoacan, oaxacan....acapulco gold, but i think the left coast got most of the top shelf as well as all the Hawaiian. The east coast had quite a bit of jamaican weed then. I bought a bag of local in the bahamas in ‘74. Pungent,acrid, dark shwag but did the job.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Ahhhhh...the good ol days! the first time I got high was 1969. It was from the neighbor and it was Mexican weed that had more seeds and leaves than anything else. A"lid", which evolved into a "z" or an ounce, sold for $15. In 1974 the Mexican was gone and replaced by Colombian, which at $30 was outrageous. But it was also quite strong and actually had "flowertops" in it sometimes. It ALWAYS had a ton of seeds though. This was the mainstream pot of the time. On the fringe, which you found very sporadically (and usually around Christmas), there was Vietnamese pot that soldiers stuffed their duffle bags full of, Thai Sticks, which were small green buds tied onto a stick with a piece of hemp string. It might have been a small cola as well, knowing what I know now. As the 80s came in, the quality improved, the prices kept climbing, now usually $75/oz, and the panama Red, Colombian Redbud, and Jamaican was the most available. Up until now, the vast majority of pot was Sativa. As the 80s came into play, Indica started to take root, mostly on the west coast and Europe. Northern Lights #1 probably transformed the industry more than any other strain, as it was one of the first widely distributed Indica strain and it was the base for quite a few hybrids, many of which are here today.
Anyhow, this is how I remember growing up around the Pittsburgh, Pa area. There wasn't a plethora of exotic strains coming thru other than as I described, and the occasional batch of hash or hash oil that would come thru...gone as quickly as it came, never to be seen again. That is how I remember it.

B

Burned Haze

I meant no disrepect, or drama.

Lets start over :0). This is about wondering what we were smoking back in the 70’s. I would buy weed with money i earned delivering newspapers, i had the afternoon route. It was a great job, and i could buy weed, usually through my older bro, he’s no longer with us, we lost him to major depression, that SOB was the coolest guy ! He got me
Laid for the first time too Lmao.

Please accept my apologies, join back in with a story if u would like, peace !

we’re all good mon

A NewPhase

A NewPhase

So was it just a field of male and female plants, growing together, harvested together ??? Wow, wonder what the ratio of male plants to female

tekj2000

tekj2000

Me and my brothers were smoking weed stolen from my parents in the 70s lol.We used to help them clean weed on the kitchen table lol,It was brown and seedy...
That's funny, back in the same era, we would leave some bud and hash in our footlocker in the bedroom, knowing our three sisters were borrowing(?).....years, decades later, sitting around the thanksgiving table, myself and two brothers let them know it was all set up for them......because we kept a few pounds of Pot and a few ounces of Hash in their bedroom closet..which they never,ever went into....we all laughed for a while, they were a bit upset, then the bowl went around and everything was ok again !!! good story, helped make my day !! thank you ....

A NewPhase

A NewPhase

That's funny, back in the same era, we would leave some bud and hash in our footlocker in the bedroom, knowing our three sisters were borrowing(?).....years, decades later, sitting around the thanksgiving table, myself and two brothers let them know it was all set up for them......because we kept a few pounds of Pot and a few ounces of Hash in their bedroom closet..which they never,ever went into....we all laughed for a while, they were a bit upset, then the bowl went around and everything was ok again !!! good story, helped make my day !! thank you ....

Whats a pound of hash look like, man

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I forgot to add, I loved this type of papers for rolling...I wish they still made them. I have 1 pack saved from the 70s and I'm dying to roll one up to enjoy them.
Indica papers

tekj2000

tekj2000

Whats a pound of hash look like, man
Always came as 2oz bricks....(made it nice for storage !) At the highlight of our high school careers, we'd have 3-4 lbs pot....6ozs hash (a monthly quota)---it kept us happy, not rich, weren't looking for it then---yes, we were idiots !
Honestly a fun time, makes Thanksgiving stories abundant... be safe-----Rookie !!

DTG

DTG

Ahhhh yes, the 70's & 80's . . .

I was growing then, sort of. On a post in here once I wrote " I am not new to growing cannabis, I am new to growing cannabis properly " and here is why I said that.
I lived in northern Ontario, cold short growing season. I was a hunter, so Ducks were on the menu always.
The back woods pond made that a reality and also provided a great place to grow. One spring I took a huge handful of seeds we got from that brown brick crap we were all smoking then, & at the duck pond there was a beaver damn about 120 feet long & about 6 feet off the ground. I scattered these bag seeds all along that beaver damn. Back then we new nothing about males & females but knew all about tall leafy plants.

When we returned to hunt ducks in late September, we couldn't believe our eyes. There was 120 feet of 8 foot tall weed plants. We didn't know that we should have left it alone for a few more weeks, so we began chopping
one guy ran back to get garbage bags, and we bagged this crap up seeing dollar signs.

So how do we dry 20 garbage bags full of weed? Well 16 year old's layed all out in the woods trying to hide it from brothers and parents. It seemed to take forever to dry but it did finally dry and we took it home to trim in my buddies garage. it was full of little white immature seeds and teeny tiny buds that smoked like crap.
So we decided to sell it, & then my friends dad busted into the garage looking for beer. He snapped, gathered up all the weed, called our fathers & took all the pot to the back yard, threw it in the fire pit, poured gasoline all over it, Then asked us, " who wants to smoke pot ?"

Well, my father got to do the honours and threw a match on there, in a big WHOOOOOOOF, all of our jaws dropped as we watched our fortune go up in flames.

We were all grounded until Christmas & we were warned that we better not smell like weed either or there would be an enormous amount of backhanders upside our heads.

I will tell you though, knowing the things I now about cannabis, I really wish I had a 120 foot Beaver damn here right now. Man that weed grew so tall in a short growing season. If those plants were clones, I shutter thinking about my father burning pounds and pounds of good weed.

So that began my adventures into smoking hash . . . it smelled less & I could cover it up with cigarette smoke.

I loved the 70's . . .

DTG.

Top Bottom