What Were We Smoking In The 70’s

• Thread starter A NewPhase
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
At the risk of giving away my age, I used to purchase compressed Mexican bricks for 90 a kilo. A street ounce or as we call it nowadays zips were not really weighed we went by fingers. 1 finger was a nickle bag 2 was a dime bag and most ounces were sold as a full 4 fingers. We were scoring 4 fingers for 20 a zip. The more exotics cost more of course.

Every now and then we got hit with the red and blonde Lebanese hashes. As the VN war raged a lot of the guys were bringing back Thai Stick in their duffel bags. Every now and again we got treated to what they called black temple balls but who knows if they were the real deal or not. But it sure did the trick. Hash ran 5 a gram. Used to mount it under glass on the tip of a pin or hot knifed it between 2 heated butter knives.

I actually was introduced to LSD before I had ever smoked weed. Remember it was orange barrel sunshine we scored out of the Haight. I did a full year or 2 caught up in the flower power movement and was a lsd disciple long before I really got into weed.

The most notable mentions on weed strains was of course a varied amount of the Columbians red and gold and the ever popular brown. We had sporadic shipments in our area in those days of panama red, Acapulco gold, Guerro gold, Oaxacan spears.

All the weed in those days was sativa and the closest you got to indicas was the hash we scored coming from the afghani hash plants used to make and export the hash in those days. The best weed I can remember smoking was a toss between the thai sticks my cousin would smuggle home from nam and the lambsbreath my uncle and I toked together. He always had a great variety due to his circle of friends he ran with.

Indicas didn't really start to be grown here in the US until commercial growers/breeders decided that it was more profitable due to the shorter flower times with indicas compared to the longer flower times of the landrace equatorial sativas that dominated the market until the mid to late 70's.

And to be clear there was plenty of fellas growing their own erb even as early as the late 60,s to early 70,s

The following is off topic but it was part of the journey

My 1st indoor run was with a Lithuanian dude I shared a flat with in 74. We used shop flouros and he rigged a janky nft hydro system in the basement. Def not medical grade erb but it got us high non the less. He was also a very accomplished shroom cultivator. He had a hook up out of the haight and beserkly for some of the best MDA, mescaline and liquid lsd. In those dayz we would meet with a biker buddy of his called Bear and he kept his stash in a visine bottle and would drip one drop in our eyes for a buck a drop. The trips from those visine bottles were not for the faint of heart and were some of the most powerful hallucinogens available at that time. Typical doses were approx 250 mcgs

What a awesome age of awakening and party times those days were. Love to look back and remember from time to time.

In closing I can say the craziest shyt cactus man tied was I let Bear slam me with a hit of blotter acid he drew up right thru the paper blotter using the blotter paper as a cotton ball. A word of caution, do not try this at home. Or ever for that matter...….. Ole cactus still aint quite right after that folly. There is something extremely frightening about going from stone cold sober to instant peak with no climb time to prepare. Nuff said there. Peace farmers.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

At the risk of giving away my age, I used to purchase compressed Mexican bricks for 90 a kilo. A street ounce or as we call it nowadays zips were not really weighed we went by fingers. 1 finger was a nickle bag 2 was a dime bag and most ounces were sold as a full 4 fingers. We were scoring 4 fingers for 20 a zip. The more exotics cost more of course.

Every now and then we got hit with the red and blonde Lebanese hashes. As the VN war raged a lot of the guys were bringing back Thai Stick in their duffel bags. Every now and again we got treated to what they called black temple balls but who knows if they were the real deal or not. But it sure did the trick. Hash ran 5 a gram. Used to mount it under glass on the tip of a pin or hot knifed it between 2 heated butter knives.

I actually was introduced to LSD before I had ever smoked weed. Remember it was orange barrel sunshine we scored out of the Haight. I did a full year or 2 caught up in the flower power movement and was a lsd disciple long before I really got into weed.

The most notable mentions on weed strains was of course a varied amount of the Columbians red and gold and the ever popular brown. We had sporadic shipments in our area in those days of panama red, Acapulco gold, Guerro gold, Oaxacan spears.

All the weed in those days was sativa and the closest you got to indicas was the hash we scored coming from the afghani hash plants used to make and export the hash in those days. The best weed I can remember smoking was a toss between the thai sticks my cousin would smuggle home from nam and the lambsbreath my uncle and I toked together. He always had a great variety due to his circle of friends he ran with.

Indicas didn't really start to be grown here in the US until commercial growers/breeders decided that it was more profitable due to the shorter flower times with indicas compared to the longer flower times of the landrace equatorial sativas that dominated the market until the mid to late 70's.

And to be clear there was plenty of fellas growing their own erb even as early as the late 60,s to early 70,s

The following is off topic but it was part of the journey

My 1st indoor run was with a Lithuanian dude I shared a flat with in 74. We used shop flouros and he rigged a janky nft hydro system in the basement. Def not medical grade erb but it got us high non the less. He was also a very accomplished shroom cultivator. He had a hook up out of the haight and beserkly for some of the best MDA, mescaline and liquid lsd. In those dayz we would meet with a biker buddy of his called Bear and he kept his stash in a visine bottle and would drip one drop in our eyes for a buck a drop. The trips from those visine bottles were not for the faint of heart and were some of the most powerful hallucinogens available at that time. Typical doses were approx 250 mcgs

What a awesome age of awakening and party times those days were. Love to look back and remember from time to time.

In closing I can say the craziest shyt cactus man tied was I let Bear slam me with a hit of blotter acid he drew up right thru the paper blotter using the blotter paper as a cotton ball. A word of caution, do not try this at home. Or ever for that matter...….. Ole cactus still aint quite right after that folly. There is something extremely frightening about going from stone cold sober to instant peak with no climb time to prepare. Nuff said there. Peace farmers.

We could get that liquid acid in the early to mid 80’s. We bought either a vile or a drop on a sugar cube. One hit was good for 24 hrs or more visual trails, hysterical laughing and long stoner conversations that trailed off into silence.

You could even sleep in it and have trippy dreams. Then wake up still tripping.

Well a kid we know decided he had too much tolerance and actually shot up a syringe full. A whole vile. Not sure how much but it was at least 25 hits worth.

This was when we were 15. I heard about him in my 20’s from his neighbor.

He lives institutionalized. Every day around 4pm he trips hard again. They thought he would always do that. He had for almost 10 years already.

Now thats an overdose. Whew.

chemistry

chemistry

Red Leb and Orange Sunburst got the thumbs up from 77 to 83, there seemed to be more and more people growing weed indoors in the early 80's, then weed started to take the place of resin.

chemistry

chemistry

Red Leb and Orange Sunburst got the thumbs up from 77 to 83, there seemed to be more and more people growing weed indoors in the early 80's, then weed started to take the place of resin.

And Oil, you spread it on a cig paper and burnt it under glass on a spike, used to buy a blob that was scaped into the corner of your to tobacco tin, don't know if this was wide spread or not.

Madbud

Madbud

And Oil, you spread it on a cig paper and burnt it under glass on a spike, used to buy a blob that was scaped into the corner of your to tobacco tin, don't know if this was wide spread or not.
The first oil i saw was in 1973, a SUNY Binghamton student from nyc had a gram vial of honey colored grease called essence and a homemade testtube pipe. Wicked buzz for those days.

chemistry

chemistry

The first oil i saw was in 1973, a SUNY Binghamton student from nyc had a gram vial of honey colored grease called essence and a homemade testtube pipe. Wicked buzz for those days.

I remember a full bodied buzz that made a lot of good tokers puke. lol But I liked it a lot. lol

A NewPhase

A NewPhase

I remember the red hash, was it soft ? I really enjoyed the blond though......

Imone

Imone

Maybe im not enlightened into the best strains but after smoking a dozen strains in dispensaries in oklahoma and colorado, im not finding it any better than what we had back then....not really. I havent smoked anything this year that made me eat an entire loaf of wonderbread and jar of mayonaise...in a half hours time.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Maybe im not enlightened into the best strains but after smoking a dozen strains in dispensaries in oklahoma and colorado, im not finding it any better than what we had back then....not really. I havent smoked anything this year that made me eat an entire loaf of wonderbread and jar of mayonaise...in a half hours time.

Im not much for white bread and mayo but grow your own or try a good home growers weed and you may be surprised.

Cash cropped dispensary weed sucks for the most part. Grown on a time schedule as first priority. Cut early. Overfed. And dried quickly even tumbled for trichome extraction and then sold as buds anyway.

The dispensaries here were like having a bad black market connection. Get one decent bag and the next three suck.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Im not much for white bread and mayo but grow your own or try a good home growers weed and you may be surprised.

Cash cropped dispensary weed sucks for the most part. Grown on a time schedule as first priority. Cut early. Overfed. And dried quickly even tumbled for trichome extraction and then sold as buds anyway.

The dispensaries here were like having a bad black market connection. Get one decent bag and the next three suck.
That is the main complaint in Pa's MMJ program. It's bone dry, full of lumber, often short...did I mention bone dry? Supposedly for the benefit of vapers. Then they sell you humidifying packets. Big cash grab with $20+ grams. It's like being in a debt to the mob...you have no choice but to go along with it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That is the main complaint in Pa's MMJ program. It's bone dry, full of lumber, often short...did I mention bone dry? Supposedly for the benefit of vapers. Then they sell you humidifying packets. Big cash grab with $20+ grams. It's like being in a debt to the mob...you have no choice but to go along with it.

The dispensaries in my area. And unfortunately the caregivers too for the most part are the reason I grow now.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The legal weed in Canada suffers from this too. It's all so dry it turns to powder when you pinch it, not cured at all, often taken down immature, lots of people are finding bugs in the pot too. Not to mention it's expensive.
So stupid because Canada already has a very productive black market selling way better pot for much cheaper. Typical when the govt gets involved in anything I guess, to pay more for a substandard product.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The legal weed in Canada suffers from this too. It's all so dry it turns to powder when you pinch it, not cured at all, often taken down immature, lots of people are finding bugs in the pot too. Not to mention it's expensive.
So stupid because Canada already has a very productive black market selling way better pot for much cheaper. Typical when the govt gets involved in anything I guess, to pay more for a substandard product.
I never found out the limitations of Canada's foray into legal pot. I thought that home growing was allowed for individuals.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I never found out the limitations of Canada's foray into legal pot. I thought that home growing was allowed for individuals.

Oh it is. Anyone can legally grow 4 plants indoors or outdoors as long as they cant be seen from the road. But legally we are only allowed to grow from seeds purchased from legal licensed producers and there isnt much to choose from. Only one strain from Tweed sold by the BC cannabis store last time I checked a couple months ago. But pretty much everyone is just growing seeds purchased from black market breeders, likely because they arent fully aware of the law.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Years ago, I used to take a mason jar full of buds on my fishing trips to northern Ontario, around Timmins. The outfitter that flew us in knew us pretty well and always looked forward to the leftovers when we left, which was usually sizable. Times have changed. Bringing anything across the border is a crap shoot anymore. Strangely, I've never been searched coming back into the USA, but was checked about 3/15 times going north. Once our bags were getting searched, and they had just instituted Zero Tolerance under Clinton. The officer is searching my friends bag and exclaims..."Whats This??" I figured he hid coke or something and my new Turbo Grand Prix, one week old, was going to be confiscated. Turned out it was a carton of cigarettes.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

A survivor from the seventies (the shotgun, not the joint)
Nice..here's one from the 60's!
1 hitter

Top Bottom