What would you do? Main cola fell over

• Thread starter Weekend Farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Weekend Farmer

So my plants are just a couple weeks from being finished. When I went in to check on them today I found that one of the main cola's (the plant has 2) had gotten so heavy, that it fell overs and bent and twisted the stem pretty bad. So the dilemma harvest the whole plant now? Harvest just that cola, or wait until everything is finished and then harvest.

What would you do?

R

Rolln J

Id stake it up and put a splint on the stem - make sure its fully supported and it may heal up.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Nice problem to have (heavy buds that is). Prop it up best you can like Rollin said, if the finger leaves start to dry up in the next couple of days then the cola needs to go but let the remainder flower.

jj

G

GroHi

If you catch it w/in a 6-10 hour period from the incident, then you should have no problems whatsoever... assuming a good environment & otherwise healthy plant. I've done this several times & w a good splint (secured both above & below the the break), it will recover & heal seemingly by the very next day. A little leaf curl (transpiration issues) may come up as JJ pointed out, but if you catch it early enough, no problems.

If it is sick and/or high humidity levels and/or overly high nute levels... may have an issue w infection/rot. Peace.

P

Park

if one fell today expect some more to go tumbling over this next week. sometimes you can support them with strings or like the others said with stakes.
best is to have some trellis netting installed when you flip to 12/12 so the plants will have some support when they grow thru the netting.
the trellis netting with the 4 or 6 inch square holes is better than the stuff with small holes.

lars

lars

Looks like someone is looking for an excuse for an early chop...but don't do it.

W

Weekend Farmer

I had already stood it back up and supported it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that needed to be taken care of quickly. Too much time and effort to screw it up at this point. Humidity is low, and I just started flushing so nute levels are also low. I will get a splint on it today when the lights come on, I caught it yesterday as I was getting ready to walk out the door for work. Thanks for all your advice

WF

S

snowkitty

I read about a nursery wax which can be used in such situations, but I never had time to look up the product. Seems like something that I will wish I had bought in advance some day...you don't want to be searching it out when you need it. I'll see if I can find it, or maybe someone else knows about wax that can be used to heal stems??

Good luck with yours, WF.

G

GroHi

My vote is fully exposed to the air to help it dry out. Coating it in wax isn't going to repair any of the internal damage... just keep it from drying out fully. Just a thought, but perhaps... dunno for sure. Peace.

T

Time

Str8ten the stem, stake the plant, and let it finish.

Silicon helps builds strong stems... look into it.

Top Bottom