What would you do to boost buds here?

• Thread starter JohnnyGrow309
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyGrow309

I just finished defoliation. Today would be day 25. Took me four days to defoliate. Where do I go from here? Strain is Pink Kush and Bubba Kush. I'm using General Hydroponics for nutrients. 10 gallon pots with soil. They are 10-11 week strains. I'm pulling them at 10. Flushing at week 8 onward. Using RO filtered water. LED lights 645W - 880W. What would you guys do to boost yield and get bigger buds?

What would you do to boost buds here
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Personally, i think you were in overdrive during defoliation. You need leaves for photosynthesis and to produce the big flowers, without them its going to take even longer to finish out imo. Also dont flush unless you have a salt build up, ph problem or nutrient lockout, just taper off the amount you feed or just feed plain water the last week or 2. There is nothing beneficial to flushing.

You wouldn't starve your dog its last 2 weeks of life right?

J

JohnnyGrow309

I've tried that before guys. Defoliating less and even not defoliating at all. It made no difference at all other than it left the plant bushy and made it a nightmare to dry. I still remember that hay smell in the drying room. Hard defoliation is definitely the way to go. Was hoping someone has some good tricks to making buds as big as possible but defoliating less or not at all at week 3 is not one of those. Believe me I've tried all methods. This one is the best.

J

JohnnyGrow309

Also when I said flush I meant just plain feeding last two weeks. I water for 20 seconds which is 1 gallon of water per 10 gallon pot. I do not do runoff as that is a waste of time and plants respond better to more frequent feeds rather than larger slower paced feedings

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I've tried that before guys. Defoliating less and even not defoliating at all. It made no difference at all other than it left the plant bushy and made it a nightmare to dry. I still remember that hay smell in the drying room. Hard defoliation is definitely the way to go. Was hoping someone has some good tricks to making buds as big as possible but defoliating less or not at all at week 3 is not one of those. Believe me I've tried all methods. This one is the best.
Idk man. Plants need leaves for photosynthesis and transpiration to occur so this doesnt seem beneficial to me. Ive never had that hay smell in my dry room and ive never stripped a plant like this. Imo the hay smell happens when the plant is harvested and was not fully finished. I remove my fan leaves when i harvest, not during the grow.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Also when I said flush I meant just plain feeding last two weeks. I water for 20 seconds which is 1 gallon of water per 10 gallon pot. I do not do runoff as that is a waste of time and plants respond better to more frequent feeds rather than larger slower paced feedings
I water until they have all they can take, I use at least 1 gallon in a 3 gallon pot for feed and water 1.5 gallons in a 5 gal pot. If you're only giving 1 gallon water in a 10 gallon pot you're not watering correctly. Roots don't grow into dry zones while they search for water, 1 gallon is leaving dry spots. I'm also with the other guys, defoliating like that just seems wrong...I like my solar panels I can read the plants needs better with leaves on...I know some guys do chop all the leaves off but they know what they're doing and I think you did far too much...we'll see I guess, its done now so I'll keep an eye on your grow to see how they progress.

TSD

TSD

How can you just be sure they'll be done at 10 weeks? You just lost at least a week due to the stress of that intense defoliation... plus what's left of the leaves leads me to believe they are sativa leaning, so I'd plan on the far end of that breeders suggestion... if not a couple weeks longer. Hay smell usually means wrong environmental conditions for drying or premature bud... I dunno, I trim at harvest. Good luck with your grow. No one's trying to dissuade you cause you clearly think this method is the only way... but most of us have experience and results saying otherwise... don't get upset about people's responses when you post a pic of a plant with almost no leaves left and ask how to make it grow big. 🤷‍♀️

TSD

TSD

That's also not correct for soil... are you coming here for advice or not, you seem defensive and sure you know it all?

strider26554

strider26554

I have been growing twenty plus years, many different strains and growing conditions, and with the exception of a severe powdery mildew situation have never defoliated to the extant that i see in your photos. Defoliating that much of the vegetation is going to shock the plant, slow overall bud growth and development. The biggest buds i have ever grown came in this year and they were on plants grown outdoors and on plants that didnt have even a single leaf removed. Mother nature does know her business and she puts those leaves on for a reason, in the case of an indoor grow , you are starting off with some deficit to begin with as even good led setups do not give what the sun can. I just cant see the science or the rational behind such sever defoliation. If im missing something please feel free to enlighten me, and just like the guys who use molasses to water their seedlings and claim it "makes the difference" please dont take offense , but after seeing so many people do certain things, i have to think its some weird condition you guys have that makes you want to tinker with your plants so much. Is it an impulse? or obsession with ridding yourself of the hay smell on your dry room, because i can tell you where that comes from, harvesting to early, period.

E

Edinburg

Put light to bloom, add Atami Bloombastic 30ml per USgal fill a 16oz cup of water add 30ml stir and feed, a light dose or they will burn but is an excellent bloom enhancer.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have been growing twenty plus years, many different strains and growing conditions, and with the exception of a severe powdery mildew situation have never defoliated to the extant that i see in your photos. Defoliating that much of the vegetation is going to shock the plant, slow overall bud growth and development. The biggest buds i have ever grown came in this year and they were on plants grown outdoors and on plants that didnt have even a single leaf removed. Mother nature does know her business and she puts those leaves on for a reason, in the case of an indoor grow , you are starting off with some deficit to begin with as even good led setups do not give what the sun can. I just cant see the science or the rational behind such sever defoliation. If im missing something please feel free to enlighten me, and just like the guys who use molasses to water their seedlings and claim it "makes the difference" please dont take offense , but after seeing so many people do certain things, i have to think its some weird condition you guys have that makes you want to tinker with your plants so much. Is it an impulse? or obsession with ridding yourself of the hay smell on your dry room, because i can tell you where that comes from, harvesting to early, period.
I agree with you but have a look at this grow, he did a weekly pic update with a massive defoliation...he grew a nice crop.

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah..smaller plants but he has left a little bit more leaf there.probably better genetics.better enviroment.better watering habits etc.and seems to know what hes doing a little more..

J

JohnnyGrow309

To answer some replies

1: I'm not getting defensive lol I'm literally asking for advice. If anyone is sensing a tone it's coming from their own imagination

2: many growers defoliate heavily like this. As I wrote before I have done less defoliation and no defoliation. This is the best method. Fan leaves are useless at this point and a few of the small ones I don't bother to micro prune will grow in 1-2 weeks. I will upload picture of week 8 of the same strain to show you reference

3: watering until runoff is a mistake imo. This is my first crop where I am watering with smaller portions and my plants are doing better than last crop. I water 1 gallon of water in my 10 gallon pots whenever they get dry. Plants seem happier than watering until runoff

4: Was looking for advice on increasing yields not opinions on my defoliation methods. Only one guy commented an actual nutrient to use for bigger bloom 1

Picture of week 8-9 in September for all the people claiming I shocked my plant. Does this plant look shocked to you?

Screenshot 20221110 133334 Gallery
TSD

TSD

4: Was looking for advice on increasing yields not opinions on my defoliation methods. Only one guy commented an actual nutrient to use for bigger bloom 1

I can only say what I use ,which is Dutch Science Bloom Baby Bloom... and I think that was the answer to your question... you'll get bigger blooms with more leaves... they're still Baby buds being formed, they need the energy that the leaves absorb. I'm not against defoliation, but there is a such thing as do much.
"Picture of week 8-9 in September for all the people claiming I shocked my plant. Does this plant look shocked to you?"
She doesn't look fantastic to be honest.

J

JohnnyGrow309

"Picture of week 8-9 in September for all the people claiming I shocked my plant. Does this plant look shocked to you?"
She doesn't look fantastic to be honest.

Really? Well beautiful scent even first day of drying, 25-30% THC and terpenes from here to Antarctica. Please send me a picture of your flower late stage for reference

J

JohnnyGrow309

I do test it dude. This isn't a d*ck measuring contest. I'm growing 300 plants right now. I'm a micro licenser. You're seemingly growing a couple outdoors. Not the same. Lab report came back at average 27%. I'm merely asking for advice and input on how to increase yield. PPM, nutrients I haven't heard of yet, etc. I hut 0.4 pounds per plant last time. Looking to increase to 0.7 if possible. A pound of plant seems unrealistic for 6 weeks veggie

Latest posts

Top Bottom