What would you recommend for a heat sink for meanwell driver?

• Thread starter the123321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the123321

the123321

Thanks. I have read that the meanwell driver would likely not get very hot with only the 240w quantum board on it and I may try to point the exhaust duct from the tent at it. I am looking at putting it on a wire shelf that is right over the where I am looking at putting the tent. I may try the aluminum baking sheet pan or a disposable aluminum turkey pan that is zip tied to the shelf to hold the meanwell driver to it on there for it.

OjoDeMalo

OjoDeMalo

(I) just hang it and put one of the fans blowing on it. they were designed to run without active cooling and even running it full it doesn't get too hot.

the123321

the123321

Thanks. The 32x32 tent is not very tall which is 1 reason I want to mount the meanwell driver on the shelf outside the tent on there for it. I may try the aluminum pan with the exhaust duct from the tent pointed at it then if it is hot after that I may look into a real heatsink on there for it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks. I have read that the meanwell driver would likely not get very hot with only the 240w quantum board on it and I may try to point the exhaust duct from the tent at it. I am looking at putting it on a wire shelf that is right over the where I am looking at putting the tent. I may try the aluminum baking sheet pan or a disposable aluminum turkey pan that is zip tied to the shelf to hold the meanwell driver to it on there for it.

I guess I'm not seeing the purpose of the baking sheet. I can pick up my meanwell drivers when they are at 100%. They are warm, almost uncomfortable to hold, but I can hold onto them long enough to move them around. Mine right now are temporarily on top of the tent. I need their heat so I was in the process of moving them back inside when my wife called me for dinner. They don't get hot enough to burn something.

the123321

the123321

Thanks. I do not want the meanwell driver to damage the shelf. I was originally looking at mounting it to a piece of wood that I then use zip ties to the shelf then I read that you may not want to do wood for it then thought an inexpensive metal pan would work better than wood for it. I want it on something and I want it to be something that is inexpensive for it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks. I do not want the meanwell driver to damage the shelf. I was originally looking at mounting it to a piece of wood that I then use zip ties to the shelf then I read that you may not want to do wood for it then thought an inexpensive metal pan would work better than wood for it. I want it on something and I want it to be something that is inexpensive for it.

I would use a rubber mat or a piece of heavy toolbox liner, or a small piece of foam insulation. I can understand about protecting the shelf.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

You really don't need a heatsink for the driver as they don't get all that hot. Mount them similar to how SkunkyDunk suggested. A rubber mat between a piece of wood or simply placed on the rubber mat on a wooden shelf should be sufficient.

My drivers get hot - almost too hot to touch. I run small 9" fans on all of them that will keep them cool.

Heat is the bane of electronics. Food for thought.

Meanwell have been pretty good for me over the years tho so no problems yet.

catt_chas

catt_chas

an actual heatsink is pretty high on eeekbay.
sounds like you have the right idea with the cookie pan.
a fan would help the longevity, but not necessary.

Top Bottom