What You Guys Think Of Smartpots Indoor ?

• Thread starter Panchojr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NightsWatch

NightsWatch

only got 23 out of her. it appears that 1.5 is all that grape god will produce no matter how big she gets. Awesome tasting redish buds though. How yours doing? Should be getting ready to start flushing

What do you mean no matter the size you only got 1.5 out of her you got any pictures

I have grown God bud and got well over 3 per plant out door 
when you add grape which is C-99 and a unknown sativa it should be moderate to above average yields put them together and it should be really nice yields

Personally i prefer min 40 - 50 gallon pots

IMG4307
robomont

robomont

As a licensed botanist smart pots are a cheap choice there fabric and can be easily made
They allow little better gas exchange ( possibly to much ) TBH..
they can also cause severe issues using the outside as they breath , which means they will also dry out faster soil temps fluctuate to much for microlife to establish there colonies
Fact is microlife do not like erratic fluctuations in temps which also creates PH fluctuations believe it or not ..
Which leads to the next issue with smart pots is watering issues
for most growers watering is the main issue in there gardens with smart pots..
It will take some time to get it all perfected

And most importantly possible implications of using smart pots being the material is made from recycled plastic bottles ..
Which many claim to be inert ,, i personally would not use them for food purpose

But if your dead set on using them land scape fabric / felt and some creative thinking one could make 1000's of gallon pots for 1/4 of the price ..
2x4's nails land scape fabric and Garden beds :)
is this why we dont see alot of 3 gallon smart pots,too much fluctuation of extremes?

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

is this why we dont see alot of 3 gallon smart pots,too much fluctuation of extremes?

Now i am not sure about 3 gallon smart pots.
But i always used this rule with decent sized plants you can get about one ounce of dried nug per gallon of soil. It really all depends though, the more root space the bigger yield for sure. Some strains need alot more rootspace than others..

So i stress understanding the strain no matter what Bigger the better all away around right
some strains i have grown can and will Hermie if it gets root bound some strains again need little ..

Todays growers hardly grow exact same strain 3 - 4 - 10 times they never really dial in any strain, Because there to worried about jumping on the next band wagon strain
i have grown same strains for over 6 years and have strains now growing over 20 years passed onto friends and family members )

Its all about consistency play with pot size find out which size works best for that strain
plain and simple and that is just not one or 2 grows but a bunch

robomont

robomont

thankyou,i didnt know there was that much variation in plant demands per genetics.i always thought ,they all the same in the root zone.im one of those that use to jump around from breed to breed.my bad.ive never gotten over a quarter oz per 3 gallon pot.my numbers are way low.this grow though.ive added alot of new amendments i havent used in the past.kelp,bone,emulsion and another try with guano.

Buddaone1

Buddaone1

What do you mean no matter the size you only got 1.5 out of her you got any pictures

I have grown God bud and got well over 3 per plant out door 
when you add grape which is C-99 and a unknown sativa it should be moderate to above average yields put them together and it should be really nice yields

Personally i prefer min 40 - 50 gallon pots
Yeah mine arent outside they are inside in 5g pots under 1k. Ive been growing it for 3 yrs. It always had small dense buds. I got the buds bigger and the best ive gotten out of her is 1.5 scroll back you'll find 2 of em on here 1 about twice the size still produced the same. Outside or more lights and yeah i could get more

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Now i am not sure about 3 gallon smart pots.
But i always used this rule with decent sized plants you can get about one ounce of dried nug per gallon of soil. It really all depends though, the more root space the bigger yield for sure. Some strains need alot more rootspace than others..

So i stress understanding the strain no matter what Bigger the better all away around right
some strains i have grown can and will Hermie if it gets root bound some strains again need little ..

Todays growers hardly grow exact same strain 3 - 4 - 10 times they never really dial in any strain, Because there to worried about jumping on the next band wagon strain
i have grown same strains for over 6 years and have strains now growing over 20 years passed onto friends and family members )

Its all about consistency play with pot size find out which size works best for that strain
plain and simple and that is just not one or 2 grows but a bunch

Well said, sir. Consistency is key.

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

smart pots, root pouches, rule
That is kind of a bias opinion I think there is good points and bad points on them
I think they are great for the beginning and novice growers. They really do protect you from some really common mistakes like over watering.

You here that they breath better although this is quite possibly correct i guess one could say
It all starts with a good aerated soil to begin with , i mean someone that made a 70 / 30 mix 70 percent clay soil. That Smart pot might now work so well.
Also with aeration being needed can there be a time where to much is to much ? where all the gases from microbes plants lose due to to much aeration ??
With gasses playing a crucial role in plants process

Example Nitrogen fixing gas playing a crucial role in phos up take in plants ??? NH3 and 4 are used by the plant now ??
So we could be taking away from the plant from fast gas exchange

We could get into global warming :) or wasting lots of nutrients from being lost in the air from to much aeration

Then we have Heat Smart pots are great for getting rid of heat but this can reverse it self also it can also being so aerated over heat

Ecompost

Ecompost

That is kind of a bias opinion I think there is good points and bad points on them
I think they are great for the beginning and novice growers. They really do protect you from some really common mistakes like over watering.

You here that they breath better although this is quite possibly correct i guess one could say
It all starts with a good aerated soil to begin with , i mean someone that made a 70 / 30 mix 70 percent clay soil. That Smart pot might now work so well.
Also with aeration being needed can there be a time where to much is to much ? where all the gases from microbes plants lose due to to much aeration ??

Example Nitrogen fixing gas playing a crucial role in phos up take in plants ??? NH3 and 4 are used by the plant now ??

We could get into global warming :) or wasting lots of nutrients from being lost in the air from to much aeration

Then we have Heat Smart pots are great for getting rid of heat but this can reverse it self also it can also being so aerated over heat
what are we saying here, what is your point? Are you suggesting a plant pot that has breathable sides will some how lose N fixing capacity? What do you mean mate? I cant say i understand this logic at all buddy. I agree you might leach out your food if you pour in lots of water but this is no better or worse than any other container.
How can having a larger surface area in which the soil,/media is exposed to N2 gases for conversion in to either NO3- or NH4+ be a limitation? The more of the soil surface in contact with the atmosphere the better the potential for fixation, so long as appropriate levels of moisture and oxygen are present?
Dont over feed your plants, dont over water them and avoid oxygen in the substrate dropping below 6ppms DO2 and whats the issue?

Ecompost

Ecompost

do you understand how N fixation works? I dont want to sound like a dick but i would argue you are struggling with the concepts of leaching and exchange. There isnt any over activity because there is more air, there is a finite amount of N that can be fixed based on the players and mass, ions dont just leach they adhere to the bodies of the organisms until such times as they are slayed by higher organisms, or destroyed by silly growers lacking skill, or consumed by plants.
A smart pot is a tool, not a principle

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Just trying to point out there are also negative sides of air pots smart pots etc
I'll prove it with heat exchange being smart pots release heat or its one of there selling features.
If it releases heat , then that means it will absorb heat ,just as fast

Just getting ready to start up a indoor grow my temps are usually 88 - 92 degrees C02 sealed room lets see how the smart pot does ompared to other tote pots watering will be done every 2 days no matter what the smart pot looks like
I bet we soon see a difference

Not tryin to argue smart pots work but like any container there are plus and minus sides to them all

frebo

frebo

If you were smart enough to use Smart Pots, why would you try to grow in clay?????
Here's another one for you. The bigger the pot the bigger the plant.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Just trying to point out there are also negative sides of air pots smart pots etc
I'll prove it with heat exchange being smart pots release heat or its one of there selling features.

Just getting ready to start up a indoor grow my temps are usually 88 - 92 degrees C02 sealed room lets see how the smart pot does ompared to other tote pots watering will be done every 2 days no matter what the smart pot looks like

Not tryin to argue smart pots work but like any container there are plus and minus sides to them all
I dont see any negative sides to there use buddy, so I would politely disagree with the reasons you have offered. But I dont grow your plants mate, you do and you are free to form opinions and techniques, I hope to learn from also :-)

Ecompost

Ecompost

added, a cover crop will help you reduce the temps of your soil, try a basil or some other understorey variant, this will really help keep the light off your media surface and reduce temps. if you cant do this, a mulch matt will help but isnt nearly as effective as planting a living armor

WonderDawg

WonderDawg

I used them forever, but find myself moving away from em. Yes they increase aeration. Yes they prune the roots in the edges nicely. BUT (ime) the pots build up salt over time and end up cooking those lovely little roots poking out the sides.

That said, I still use them sometimes.
You need to wash them in between rounds. I live in northern California so I take them to the industrial washer at the local laundry mat. I've literally been using the same three sets for over 5 years.

On the Thread:
My favorite part is the cleanliness factor. The bags literally filter and hold all the mix vs plastic spilling the mix all over the floor when watered. Smart pots/Geopots are much much cleaner. As far as yield, It's pretty much understood that there are no significant increases. At the end of the day, It's really personal preference. What they said about needing a slightly smaller size fabric vs plastic i would totally agree with. One size down from a plastic pot would suffice.

Ecompost

Ecompost

You need to wash them in between rounds. I live in northern California so I take them to the industrial washer at the local laundry mat. I've literally been using the same three sets for over 5 years.

On the Thread:
My favorite part is the cleanliness factor. The bags literally filter and hold all the mix vs plastic spilling the mix all over the floor when watered. Smart pots/Geopots are much much cleaner. As far as yield, It's pretty much understood that there are no significant increases. At the end of the day, It's really personal preference. What they said about needing a slightly smaller size fabric vs plastic i would totally agree with. One size down from a plastic pot would suffice.
or use a lower / no salt based nutrient range and cleaner water supply.

WonderDawg

WonderDawg

or use a lower / no salt based nutrient range and cleaner water supply.
Even "organic" nutrients used in RO will have some buildup as the vast majority of micronutrients are neither organic nor inorganic and are essentially salts in their essence. Also the use of any natural PH adjusters are adding "salts" to your medium. I grow organically with "no salt based" nutrients and I still get buildup on my smart pots between rounds. I'm certainly not a "no-till" grower but I brew all of my own compost and guano teas in house. Is it even possible to fix certain micronutrient deficiencies without adding salts?

Smerb

Smerb

Even "organic" nutrients used in RO will have some buildup as the vast majority of micronutrients are neither organic nor inorganic and are essentially salts in their essence. Also the use of any natural PH adjusters are adding "salts" to your medium. I grow organically with "no salt based" nutrients and I still get buildup on my smart pots between rounds. I'm certainly not a "no-till" grower but I brew all of my own compost and guano teas in house. Is it even possible to fix certain micronutrient deficiencies without adding salts?
I have a catalog that I go to often.
IMG 5794

Ecompost

Ecompost

well no but you can use any one of the many really good Amino Acid based Chelated TE foliar types to fix many common micro defs which would negate the need to drench them in to the media and so further reduce salt build up.
I agree with your idea of rinsing them out, enzymes etc can all help reduce the salt build up too, and many washing products contain these

Top Bottom