whats causing the stems of my fan leaves to be so long?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

whats causing this? lights too far away? too much red light? bloom is 100% and has been since day 1.

the stems on my fan leaves are like 6-10" long.... seems a bit much doesnt it?

also, some of the nodes arent symmetrical.... and are alternating... is this ok? I did some reading and they say its signs of a mature plant ready for flower?

Last edited:
CF89

CF89

Damnnn. I’ve got them 12-16” from a viparspectra va2000. Others said I was getting light bleaching 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

If I moved it any closer then the other 3 plants would barely get any light haha. It’s like 12” away now

growsince79

growsince79

Red makes more stretch than blue. The alternating node a normal for a maturing plant

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Have you grown this variety before? Could it be genetic? Those mofos gonna get defoliated eventually anyway I wouldn't worry. As long as they look healthy right? I would think node distance is more important regarding light distance not fan leaf stems. Those are growing out not up

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

The design of the light calls for at least 20 to 24 inches of height above the plant......

IMHO -Bad light design, its pushing 395 watts into this tiny light board footprint.....which gives you just that, a tiny footprint of intense light, that is not balanced very well.

You can't just cram a bunch of LED circuits on a board and then max out the power going to those circuits with a very cheap inefficient driver.

Get a decent light for starters, and go from there.

CF89

CF89

No I havnt. It’s pink lemonade from 53 street.

Some say they look healthy. Some say they weren’t ready for it. So I dunno. Time will tell.

CF89

CF89

The design of the light calls for at least 20 to 24 inches of height above the plant......

IMHO -Bad light design, its pushing 395 watts into this tiny light board footprint.....which gives you just that, a tiny footprint of intense light, that is not balanced very well.

You can't just cram a bunch of LED circuits on a board and then max out the power going to those circuits with a very cheap inefficient driver.

Get a decent light for starters, and go from there.

Hmm interesting. My last plants seemed to grow well though. Very weird.

either way. A kingbrite shows up today or tomorrow :)

Oldman13

Oldman13

whats causing this? lights too far away? too much red light? bloom is 100% and has been since day 1.

also, some of the nodes arent symmetrical.... and are alternating... is this ok? I did some reading and they say its signs of a mature plant ready for flower?

I'm pretty sure you don't want the nudes to be symmetrical they should alternate if I'm not mistaken, symmetrical nodes is a male indication... but not positively! I could be wrong but I will recheck my information. And as for your long long long Leaf stems LOL which are actually called petioles actually I've never seen them that long LOL I would have to study more on that subject the other gentleman is most likely correct poor light stretches everything

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Until you do more than 1 run with a strain you never know. Each will react to your nutes/room in different ways. She looks nice and dark, maybe got a little bit too high on some N and got excited lol. I keep a log now and take lots if notes which is a new thing for me but at least next time around I won't struggle to remember what I was feeding when etc.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Asymmetrical nodes happen on mature secondary branches yes. That's what you want for the bushy growth. One of the reasons working with clones is fun is because you jump right to that phase.

CF89

CF89

Yes they are gov seeds I guess. ($15 each) From the local weed store.

Next seeds are coming from in-house genetics. ($30 each) so I want to get my skills and problems figured out before I ruin some good seeds.

BigCube

BigCube

Damnnn. I’ve got them 12-16” from a viparspectra va2000. Others said I was getting light bleaching 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

If I moved it any closer then the other 3 plants would barely get any light haha. It’s like 12” away now

I don't remember anyone saying you had bleaching. I remember telling you it wasn't bleaching.

How old is the light? All fixtures degrade with time. Red and blue more so than white.

CF89

CF89

I don't remember anyone saying you had bleaching. I remember telling you it wasn't bleaching.

How old is the light? All fixtures degrade with time. Red and blue more so than white.

Well hopefully I’m wrong and they’re not being exposed to too much light.

it’s a brand new light bought in April and has one grow under its belt. 2 months of 18/6 and 2 months of 12/12.

vegging 18/6 for 2 months is 1080 hours. I’ve done that twice. And flowered once (720 hours).

The light has 2800-3000 hours. Aren’t these a 100,000 hour life? So I’m at 3%

Madmax

Madmax

I'm pretty sure you don't want the nudes to be symmetrical they should alternate if I'm not mistaken, symmetrical nodes is a male indication... but not positively! I could be wrong but I will recheck my information. And as for your long long long Leaf stems LOL which are actually called petioles actually I've never seen them that long LOL I would have to study more on that subject the other gentleman is most likely correct poor light stretches everything
All plants from seed male or female grow symetrical up to a certain age of there life .they transition to singles roughly late veg early flower ..clones a different story..

BigCube

BigCube

Well hopefully I’m wrong and they’re not being exposed to too much light.

it’s a brand new light bought in April and has one grow under its belt. 2 months of 18/6 and 2 months of 12/12.

vegging 18/6 for 2 months is 1080 hours. I’ve done that twice. And flowered once (720 hours).

The light has 2800-3000 hours. Aren’t these a 100,000 hour life? So I’m at 3%

Average led lifespan is 50,000 hours. But that's just an average. Many other things dictate the lifespan as well, like heat. I've heard 10% a year. But who knows how accurate that is.

Yours is new enough that it shouldn't be noticable. For what it's worth, I can get pretty close to my lights, like 10 to 12 inches without noticing any adverse effects. I wouldn't worry unless you see signs of stress. Check it under regular light every day and you should be ok 👍

Moot point with that kingbrite though, hope you got some sun glasses and suntan lotion 🤣

CF89

CF89

Really. It’s that badass eh. Wow. I’m stoked. Just got a 4x4 tent too. (Old was 3x3)

M

Mainky34

This is a very old post but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. Every time my Stems would be so long the owner would tell me that I watered them too much during stretch. I water less during stretch now and I don't see this anymore.

Top Bottom