What's That Smell???

• Thread starter Tearsofshiva
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tearsofshiva

Sup friends!

Last year got real busy between my day job and my garden and I left some buds that were curing in mason jars for probably 8 months without opening them once! They were too dried out going into the cure because I fell behind on my trimming, so I added some freshly clipped fan leaves to the jars to return some moisture before sealing them. When I discovered them and opened the jars it smelled somewhat like mold or chemicals of some sort. It's tough to describe I've never smelled anything like it. The bud looks beautiful though no evidence of mold, golden hue, and covered in trichs. I'm assuming it's some type of bacteria, that most likely doesn't need air to survive?

My question is how can identify this bacteria (if it even is bacteria lol) and can I do a nug run with some butane to save all those trichomes!

Peace and positivity

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Sup friends!

Last year got real busy between my day job and my garden and I left some buds that were curing in mason jars for probably 8 months without opening them once! They were too dried out going into the cure because I fell behind on my trimming, so I added some freshly clipped fan leaves to the jars to return some moisture before sealing them. When I discovered them and opened the jars it smelled somewhat like mold or chemicals of some sort. It's tough to describe I've never smelled anything like it. The bud looks beautiful though no evidence of mold, golden hue, and covered in trichs. I'm assuming it's some type of bacteria, that most likely doesn't need air to survive?

My question is how can identify this bacteria (if it even is bacteria lol) and can I do a nug run with some butane to save all those trichomes!

Peace and positivity
Did you try breaking the bud open and inspecting and smelling? Hard to see bacteria but mold spores are a real concern!!

T

Tearsofshiva

Here are a couple pictures my cameras not that great but maybe you can tell from these:
The first is right out of the jar and the second is that same bud broken up so you get a feel for what it's looking like on the inside.

IMG 0825
IMG 0826
Planter01

Planter01

Tap a bud lightly on a mirror of piece of glass and then look to see if any "dust" appears. Mold and or mildew that has gone dry will leave a powder that if you scope will clearly not be kief or broken tricomes. HaHa if you have ever busted open a block of brick weed then you know what I'm talking about. It's like stepping on a puff ball. I would have zero problems doing a BHO run even if you find mold spores.

T

Tearsofshiva

alright now I at least feel much more comfortable with blasting it thanks everyone!

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

What can you say about the grow? (Before the jar?) So it was like totally organic and you didn't like, introduce some variable?

Terpenes are present in alcohol forms as well as the more persistent (higher than ambient temp) oils. That first whiff you get (that you never seem to get again) are the alcohols in vapor you sense.

T

Tearsofshiva

What can you say about the grow? (Before the jar?) So it was like totally organic and you didn't like, introduce some variable?

Terpenes are present in alcohol forms as well as the more persistent (higher than ambient temp) oils. That first whiff you get (that you never seem to get again) are the alcohols in vapor you sense.

So maybe that scent was the alcohol vapors that were trapped in the jar for that long period??

Yup everything was organic my medium was supersoil grown under led lights ( I dunno if you consider artificial lighting "organic"), the only concern was the bud definitely got way too dry before I even harvested, never mind before it went into cure. So I think I lost most of my terpenes which would cause any other smells to be more noticeable?

Planter01

Planter01

Good at you for making the best of a bad situation. I hope you can discern the problem but sometimes the answers are illusive. Whatever happened don't do again but I'm betting you'll blast sumpin good out so success is still yours.

T

Tearsofshiva

... And are there any safety concerns in terms of disposing of the soaked bud from my column??

Leew421

Leew421

That's the smell of old thc. Really broken down. By product is amonia hence the smell

Planter01

Planter01

A little bit of mold isn't going to survive a BHO extraction but I'm old school. I was gonna say that as long as it's not moving I'll smoke it but then I remember smoking a bloated tick plucked from a dog's ass for $10.00. Ha I've scraped the bottom of my weeds drawer for a return of mostly hair and dog dander with a few nail clippings mixed in. God I feel so dirty...

Top Bottom