What's the best time of day for harvesting?

• Thread starter 7rayos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

7rayos

Years ago i've read in Mel Frank's Cultivators Guide that the difference in the thc percentage varies according to the time of day the plant is harvested outdoors, i think with some graphs and all, and experimenting on a plant harvesting the buds at different time of day which showed different figures. But i'm citing of memory and can't recall what was all about. I'll very soon will collect a couple of Thunks from outdoors and normally i harvest at dusk, dunno why, maybe to use up the last ever hours of still free sun. Does anyone have any idea about this?

O

ograskal

I think i heard that the best time is right before the lights turn on but I really dont think it makes that much of a difference...~ogr

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I think i heard that the best time is right before the lights turn on but I really dont think it makes that much of a difference...~ogr

This is what I have read as well. I do harvest as soon as my lights come on. It really has to do with the biology of the plant. The plants knows when the lights will go on, much like humans know when the sun will be up, at which point they pump up all of their internal systems, including resin production. Think of it this way, to get up a hill one needs a little extra force to overcome the initial incline of the hill, the plants need to switch from respiration to photosynthesis, and they need a little extra force to make the change. This is why harvesting right at lights on, or moments before is optimal.

7rayos

Well, i think you both right. OgRaskal, i don't think it'll make much difference either, nor am i too subtle and do scientific readings, it was just out of curiosity.
But i'll do as SmkGun points out, as i find it reasonable. Following your metaphore, after a nice long sunny day the lady will be too relaxed to resin efficiently.
That will be a creepy sativa, if cut early, creepier high, maybe chopping it in the early morning adds creepiness to that making it a creepy+ sativa, which i look forward to.
Thank you for your answers

J

jozka

In outdoor before sunshine because the in the night is time for producing resin, on the light the resin of THC is degraded.

O

Otto

Not to be a nay sayer to anyone. But the reason some take their plants right before lights on or in the dark is to leach all the water possible from the plant before its cut down to speed up the drying time. Plants dont uptake water at night they only release it back into the soil

-Otto

S

Stackin Paper

Man when you grow a cheese plant there is only 1 time to harvest her and thats early hours of the fuckin morning or the whole street is gonna know wtf is goin down, best to wait til every light in the street is off with that gal, she just seems to kick up such a stink when disturbed and with the so so so pungent smell she carries the disturbance must be carried out at the most awkward time of day as possible.

I still harvest whenever though cos im a 'fuck it' kinda guy:smoke

K

Kilo

stacks im with u m8....generally on the day or when i can fit it in before the water runs out past the 8-9wk mark ;)

H

hazyfontazy

i give em 3-4 days dark when finished ,then harvest anytime after :smoke

Dr CandyMan

Dr CandyMan

Breeder
Supporter
trust me when i say this,i cut at 4-530 am before the sun comes up, and the neighbors get to moving around.

i know a lot of folks might have opinions on this but do not chop during day chop during night it is a HUGE diff. in taste quality night chopped weed also cures a whole hell of a lot quicker. when u chop during the light cycle the weed will b harsher guaranteed.

indoor is not the same as outdoor, thats why some folks might say it doesnt make a diff. i believe it doesnt make a diff. indoor, but outdoor. trust me when i tell u this, chop at night closer to sun coming up as u can. big big difference i dont care what nobody says i know from personal experience. i only chop at day for emergency purposes.

7rayos

Righto Doc, seems that most gardeners agree at least on not chopping then at dusk, and if the reason is to avoid the plant starting her daily activity, makes sense doing it a bit before dawn.
Hazyfontazy, as for indoors that goes too, and i think it does make a difference to put them in the dark just before the chop, as well as leaving the substrate to dry before that, and combined together never have troubles with mould. I leave 'em in the dark for just 48 hours.
DIY, the question is "what's the best time", and seems obvious to me that's better in the next ten minutes than in the past ten minutes, as at the last ten minutes of the end of times you'll still have one more spliff.
SP and Kilo, that goes without saying, although for the stench, i'm a flasher by nature and i like waving my stinky one at the neighbors noses holding it by the stalk :rofl:rofl:rofl Smell's not an issue here in my patch, anyway, young and old, no one cares around. Dunno 'bout cheese, but i've had skunks that you could pierce the ambience when drying in the house well after the chop, filling the evening air of the square as old ladies go to church.
Yep Otto, that's seems to be one of the main reasons.
Also Jozka's might have a point there, but the effect of light on trichs is to be regarded after cutting them, meaning you dry, cure and store in the dark, but before that, you need the sun on them too for maturing. When growing indoors, started with the 48 hours darkness before the chop 'cos someone said that they produced a bit of extra resin, now i'm not total sure about that, but still do it that way.
USMCtanker, one day people will have to go to paying schools to learn what we get here for free. Cheers for dropping by.
Now, i think it's safe to say the best time for harvesting is at dawn, preferably just before, but you can do it fuckever way you want as this is a free forum.

H

Hammer

I too would pull 4-5a.m. is best. As a recall, it is the starches that are present during the day time.

darksideX

darksideX

,..i heard about after finishing to let the plants 2 or 3 days in darkness, but i don't really know what happens inside then(while they have it dark,after finishing..), and what should it be for....,..??!
greEtz..

S

sweetleaf

before the lights come on is what has always been preached...to me at least. Something to do with the converting sugars....I think. Unless ur plants are diabetic lol :).

darksideX

darksideX

thX sweetleaf,..i hope my girlz aren't diabeticx..,lol,
greEtz..

N

NomaadsGarden

Outdoors, you wanna shoot for having to harvest all day long, every day for 2 weeks. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom