What's the best way to dry in a dry climate?

• Thread starter EVanMandalay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

EVanMandalay

It's just about time to chop the crop and I'm worried about drying in my climate. The shed I'll be drying in fluctuates temps from 42-55 and the highest I've been able to get the humidity is 37%. I've got multiple humidifiers going to get it at that. I had a large branch break off yesterday so I trimmed off the fan leaves and put it in one of those mesh hanging bags to see how that works out. Is there any better method for such a dry climate than hanging then curing? Would sweating be a better option for me? I really don't want these beautiful buds to smell like alfalfa! Would putting them in paper bags help? Here's a picture of the end of this bud!

Whats the best way to dry in a dry climate
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Whole plant hanging is going to slow the dry down the most. In dry climates if you chop all the nugs up onto screens they will be dry in like 2 -3 days.
What he said.....I am in the High Sierra desert where RH is usually between 15-30%. I use 2x humidifiers in a closet to keep the RH at 50%. Even then some buds will dry in under a week which is barely acceptable. I have a net where I put larf , and it is dry in 3-5 days.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would, but I am way too lazy to dry trim;)

i take the big leaves off and any small with petioles. Leave the bud leaves on and cut into branches and hang. I get 7-10 days before jarring like that in the closet inside the flower room. I have a curtain over the door so the carbon filter over the flowers filters the drying buds too. Fans give a gently pull on the curtain. Perfect ventilation for drying.

BigCube

BigCube

Hang it together closely. Move the center outward and the outside inward once or twice a day. The outside will dry fast the inside slow. Keep your eyes on it and move it around as needed. 🤯

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Dry trimming or wet trimming is a matter of personal preference. I will say when I wet trim I get a much cleaner end result. When I dry trim I end up leaving on leaves I would have trimmed off with a wet trim. But either way makes little difference in most situations.

Getting your bud dry is just one step in the process. You can slow things down by putting the buds in a sealed container to let the inner moisture rehydrate the bud material and slowly allow the moisture to escape by burping the container as you go. Once you get most of the moisture out you can use boveda packs to keep the curing process going without the need to check on them as often.

Dry Trim = Less work upfront and more work down the road.
Wet Trim = More work upfront and less work down the road.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Could try the refrigerator method @Jimster has done this. Even a combination of hang for 3 days then the refrigerator method. Just thinking out loud

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
It's so dry here, I have no choice but to trim as soon as I harvest. I'll cut the plant at the trunk, hang upside down, trim the buds, then buck the buds from the stems directly into brown paper bags where they sit for approximately 24 hours, then directly into plastic baggies, jars, or some other sealed container, with a boveda pack, for a few weeks to cure. Here, if I let the plants hang with buds on them for any longer than ONE day, the buds will dry out to where they just crumble to dust if you handle them. They usually come back after a couple days in a jar with a boveda pack, but it's easier for me to just trim right away and get them in containers before that happens.

Top Bottom