What's the Deal With my Girls??

• Thread starter Miguelcraigo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Look back at your picture from a few days ago at the plants on the right:

That rounded umbrella shape, curling under business is what I believe looks like over-watering. To my eye, your new pictures do not show this, they show a plant that looks thirsty. The leaves and limbs are saggy, but in a more uniform fashion. I think you did the right thing by waiting this long. I believe the right move now is to water until they are saturated, then wait for them to dry again. Maybe there are other things going on here as well, I'm certainly no expert.

My understanding is that you'll never see those fan yellow leaves turn green, and should focus on the health of new growth while diagnosing the plant.

PS - I can't tell from the picture for certain, so please excuse me if I'm mistaken, but it looks like the pots are sitting directly in catch pans? My understanding is we want to water the plant until we get a little bit of run-off, but we don't want it to sit in the run-off, it needs to drain away.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Look back at your picture from a few days ago at the plants on the right:
View attachment 1160080

That rounded umbrella shape, curling under business is what I believe looks like over-watering. To my eye, your new pictures do not show this, they show a plant that looks thirsty. The leaves and limbs are saggy, but in a more uniform fashion. I think you did the right thing by waiting this long. I believe the right move now is to water until they are saturated, then wait for them to dry again. Maybe there are other things going on here as well, I'm certainly no expert.

My understanding is that you'll never see those fan yellow leaves turn green, and should focus on the health of new growth while diagnosing the plant.

PS - I can't tell from the picture for certain, so please excuse me if I'm mistaken, but it looks like the pots are sitting directly in catch pans? My understanding is we want to water the plant until we get a little bit of run-off, but we don't want it to sit in the run-off, it needs to drain away.
Good catch. There must be airflow under the pots as well as thru them. Root rot can take hold easily.

growsince79

growsince79

Super helpful, except you and everyone else on here has been telling me overwatering I'd the problem
They are probably overwatered and underwatered at the same time. Transplant went bad because the soggy, damaged root ball can't grow into dry pockets.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
when you transplanted the root ball was big wasn’t it, looks like the transplant was a little late? rip any roots? were they white and clean?
plants only started looking bad after transplant?

Miguelcraigo

Miguelcraigo

They were in Dixie cups for 2 weeks. Roots were white and healthy looking. No I didn't cut any of them. The only plant that looks somewhat healthy is the one that kind of fell apart on my during the transplant. Yes pretty much started sagging soon after transplant and have just gotten worse

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok thanks, what are you feeding them and how much?
what’s your growing medium?
your temp and humidity is it pretty consistent through day and night?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Well, there’s a clue. If you just plop the Dixie cup shaped root ball into the soil and cover it up you wind up with a root ball there’s a lot denser than the surrounding soil.Since Water seeks The path of least resistance it can just run around the outside of the plug and on out the bottom of The pot. You wind up with a dry root ball in moist soil. Or conversely you can wind up with a root ball that doesn’t dry out as fast as the surrounding soil.That’s why you need a cheap moisture meter to probe that Root ball or plug To see if it’s wet or dry in relationship to the surrounding soil. IMo It’s always better to break up that route plug when you transplant to avoid This. Just a thought.

growsince79

growsince79

Well, there’s a clue. If you just plop the Dixie cup shaped root ball into the soil and cover it up you wind up with a root ball there’s a lot denser than the surrounding soil.Since Water seeks The path of least resistance it can just run around the outside of the plug and on out the bottom of The pot. You wind up with a dry root ball in moist soil. Or conversely you can wind up with a root ball that doesn’t dry out as fast as the surrounding soil.That’s why you need a cheap moisture meter to probe that Root ball or plug To see if it’s wet or dry in relationship to the surrounding soil. IMo It’s always better to break up that route plug when you transplant to avoid This. Just a thought.
Breaking up the rootball guarantees transplant shock. I find the best way is to get the healthy roots out in one piece and lightly prune a couple roots on each side of the container. Transplaint into moist soil and wait a couple days to water. When done correctly there is no shock. The plants won't miss a beat.

GarlicBudExpert

GarlicBudExpert

Use the ADD method
Add water
Wait a day
Wait a day
Check if it needs some, add if it does.
Old school method.

Latest posts

Top Bottom