What's the ideal air temperature around exposed roots in a DWC tank?

• Thread starter CrimsonBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CrimsonBud

CrimsonBud

I mean you can't mist to much but I'd say like 5 sec every 15 min is plenty... not like it's exposed to low humidity.
Yes, but I mean in regards to keeping the air gap temperature at around 74f, in addition to raising the water level.
I think I'll place a permanent temperature sensor in the problematic area and will conduct some experiments.

To conclude, IMO the DWC air gap temperature subject is underrated in its importance.
I bet that countless DWC grows failed due to high air temperature in the root zone area.
Growers will try the craziest stuff, including spending an astonishing amount of money, without identifying the real culprit.
Not many talks about it tho, it's like the problem isn't defined enough to be adequately discussed.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, but I mean in regards to keeping the air gap temperature at around 74f, in addition to raising the water level.
I think I'll place a permanent temperature sensor in the problematic area and will conduct some experiments.

To conclude, IMO the DWC air gap temperature subject is underrated in its importance.
I bet that countless DWC grows failed due to high air temperature in the root zone area.
Growers will try the craziest stuff, including spending an astonishing amount of money, without identifying the real culprit.
Not many talks about it tho, it's like the problem isn't defined enough to be adequately discussed.
I dont see that being the case... adjust the water level and you have minimal airgap. The temperature is not really the issue the humidity is. I run my coco so the root temls are prob dam near 80f.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I dont see that being the case... adjust the water level and you have minimal airgap. The temperature is not really the issue the humidity is. I run my coco so the root temls are prob dam near 80f.
Is there a difference between growth rates if I don't leave the gap? I had bad luck at the start with gaps due to light leaks and root rot. So now I just keep netpot half way submerged.

I find the more water in the system, the less I have to mess with it. So if I try for 2 inches under net pot my system will have 10 gallons less.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Is there a difference between growth rates if I don't leave the gap? I had bad luck at the start with gaps due to light leaks and root rot. So now I just keep netpot half way submerged.

I find the more water in the system, the less I have to mess with it. So if I try for 2 inches under net pot my system will have 10 gallons less.
Nope if anything prob keep those roots a bit healthier. Once the roots are established in the system you can do that but you don't want to do that to start if they were started in plugs and not started in a cloner. There is a bit of difference in root structure so if started in a plug wait until they have established themselves.

I just keep it an inch below and do daily top ups. The bubbles breaking the surface from the air stones mist the roots so no issues there.
This nonsense of dropping the water level so the roots grow in search of water is just absolutely nonsense.

CrimsonBud

CrimsonBud

I meant it's overlooked in the sense that people are fixated on keeping a 2" air gap below the pots, without making any exceptions, and that by itself could lead to rot if the air isn't 100% humid and temp is above 80f.

This nonsense of dropping the water level so the roots grow in search of water is just absolutely nonsense.
I find the more water in the system, the less I have to mess with it.
Thanks, guys! I feel much more confident for my next grow, and will update here if raising the water level solves the issue :)

Last edited:
QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

64° And this ain’t even my best hand I’ve got way better systems then this

Oh btw no airstones or air pumps that’s a myth too. Same thing with all these organic additives the only bb I ever use is hydroguard. No poolshock, no bleach no none of that shit.
E5E5099E 5FC1 4888 9B9C 484A19AEFA15

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Before you guys ask what system that is it’s rdwc and it’s custom you ain’t gonna find one like it on the internet lol.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Before you guys ask what system that is it’s rdwc and it’s custom you ain’t gonna find one like it on the internet lol.
Looks like mine bro lol..

Id also suggest 72f for faster root growth. 68 to 72f is visually noticably faster when side by side.

20211221 165910
20211220 200642
Screenshot 20211223 091134

Latest posts

Top Bottom