What's the matter with Rockwool for non commercial growers?

• Thread starter hydrodreams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hydrodreams

It's not very hard to recognize that allmost all of the big indoor companies in North America are using Rockwool as their prefered medium. In many videos where they talk about their facilities they also state the reasons why they chose to do so: sterility, steerability, consistency of medium from the manufacturer, low weight makes it easier to handle etc.....

In contrast to us non commercial growers(or better: "non-multimillion dollar facility owners 😎), where Rockwool is rarely seen anywhere. What is the reason for this? Is Rockwool especially sensitive for any imperfections of any kind in a grow room?

Does anybody know?

I am growing with coco and I am quite satisfied with the results, but I have always had a kind of a secret crush on Rockwool but never touched it since in any growshop they told my that nobody asks for it...

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I use rockwool all the time. Until this last grow, I would say I have germed 80% or more of my seeds there.

I didn't realize we don't use it - Its always available at every grow shop I go to.

H

hydrodreams

I guess you knew that I was refering more to what comes after germination and rooting....Did you also use it for veg and flowering? If not, why not?

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Here is @Dirtbag rockwool none commercial grower with fantastic results.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Ummm, ok.

There are a ton more. I don't know what to tell ya.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Here is @Dirtbag rockwool none commercial grower with fantastic results.
View attachment 1281786
Pk also grows in rockwool

H

hydrodreams

I might have to add that another reason for starting this topic was the circumstance that Im growing tired of carrying coco bags, filling the pots, empty the pots, carry the used coco and dump it....If I could overcome these anoying works by switching to another medium, I would gladly do so. But not if it is a very bitchy media that punishes me for every little imperfection, then I would rather continue to carry bags.

But thanks a lot for the input so far. And not to forget I guess is the fact, that Rockwool is not cheap which could be another reason why many growers stay away from it.

beluga

beluga

I might have to add that another reason for starting this topic was the circumstance that Im growing tired of carrying coco bags, filling the pots, empty the pots, carry the used coco and dump it....If I could overcome these anoying works by switching to another medium, I would gladly do so. But not if it is a very bitchy media that punishes me for every little imperfection, then I would rather continue to carry bags.

But thanks a lot for the input so far. And not to forget I guess is the fact, that Rockwool is not cheap which could be another reason why many growers stay away from it.

I can't suggest hydroton and hydroponics enough for the hands-off approach.
Water is the media. It and salt can be carried by pipes and hoses. Essentially everything can be achieved via valves and timers.
Monitoring and adjustment becomes more of the legwork than actually schlepping stuff around. Rinse/cleaning hydroton between uses is probably the most bodily labor you do with it aside from trimming your harvest.

H

hydrodreams

Did anybody experience that yields suffered more when growing in rockwool when it was too hot (in the summer) compared to coco?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

More than likely, its the cost to enter into hydro that stops new growers and has nothing to do with rock-wool. When people decide they want to pursue this hobby, endless hours are spent researching what we want vs what we can afford. At the end of it all, many opt to "get started" in soil and move to hydro later. A lot of those people never do. They stay with soil because its "easy and it's what they know."

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

It's not very hard to recognize that allmost all of the big indoor companies in North America are using Rockwool as their prefered medium. In many videos where they talk about their facilities they also state the reasons why they chose to do so: sterility, steerability, consistency of medium from the manufacturer, low weight makes it easier to handle etc.....

In contrast to us non commercial growers(or better: "non-multimillion dollar facility owners 😎), where Rockwool is rarely seen anywhere. What is the reason for this? Is Rockwool especially sensitive for any imperfections of any kind in a grow room?

Does anybody know?

I am growing with coco and I am quite satisfied with the results, but I have always had a kind of a secret crush on Rockwool but never touched it since in any growshop they told my that nobody asks for it...
I use it when it warms up for cloning or starting seeds or sensitive strains because you can't overwater and holds air as long as it is raised ,it has a tendency to stay cold so when winter comes I don't like it. When it cools off I find the cuts don't strike well without a heating mat.Another problem is if you combine rockwool with soil or promix ,ex: transplanting,the soil sucks the water out of it and young seedlings or clones can get dehydrated. Rockwool is not sensitive to imperfections ,it's just spun rock so it's neutral,even though people will say to ph it before use I have never had to .

H

hydrodreams

...... ,it has a tendency to stay cold so when winter comes I don't like it......

Thats the kind of fears I have about it. I dont have the means to create a perfect environment all the time.

SSgrower

SSgrower

Welcome to the Farm hydrodreams, I am in coco/perlite and I re-use my coco as it's almost two years old as I write this, so reuse it for less work, I top the 3 gal material bag off between grows,Cheers SS

H

hydrodreams

Welcome to the Farm hydrodreams, I am in coco/perlite and I re-use my coco as it's almost two years old as I write this, so reuse it for less work, I top the 3 gal material bag off between grows,Cheers SS

Hey, thanks for your answer. I have a friend who reuses coco once.....He did use it more often in the past but got away from it again after realising that salt buildup became an almost unmanageable problem. And since I veg my plants up to 3 weeks in 1 gallon pots, they will often have such a massive root structure at harvest that its just a bit of dust/crumbles that is left for potential reuse. So I would have to buy more bags again.

And then there is something else: More and more I dont enjoy going to Growshops anymore for varous reasons. But that is something I would have to if I need more than two bags of coco. If its more than two bags they will need to send it on a palette which is very unpractical and gets the potential attention of to many people that I dont want....

beluga

beluga

More than likely, its the cost to enter into hydro that stops new growers and has nothing to do with rock-wool. When people decide they want to pursue this hobby, endless hours are spent researching what we want vs what we can afford. At the end of it all, many opt to "get started" in soil and move to hydro later. A lot of those people never do. They stay with soil because its "easy and it's what they know."
While I agree, it's kind of strange that people coming into it feel that way when a bale of ProMix is damn near $100.
With a little bit of mechanical/plumbing knowhow or even just the ability to follow guides, you can diy yourself a hydro setup for about the same initial cost as soil and then you're paying almost nothing for media in perpetuity.

Personally, I think the biggest drawback hydro has is its fragility. Power outages are stressful enough. And the more tech you rely on, the more severe those outages get. I think people getting into it are (reasonably) overwhelmed by all the moving parts to hydro.

Or maybe it's just our nature. We're kin to Seed + Dirt = Plant.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Hey, thanks for your answer. I have a friend who reuses coco once.....He did use it more often in the past but got away from it again after realising that salt buildup became an almost unmanageable problem. And since I veg my plants up to 3 weeks in 1 gallon pots, they will often have such a massive root structure at harvest that its just a bit of dust/crumbles that is left for potential reuse. So I would have to buy more bags again.

And then there is something else: More and more I dont enjoy going to Growshops anymore for varous reasons. But that is something I would have to if I need more than two bags of coco. If its more than two bags they will need to send it on a palette which is very unpractical and gets the potential attention of to many people that I dont want....
Welcome to the farm hydrodreams. Lots of good growers here to learn from. Rock wool and hydroton are my choices for media. I do wash the hydroton and reuse, there's a lifespan for hydroton as it dissolves some every washing but its been a couple years now and still running with the same rocks.

jj

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Hydro can be intimidating and complex as the grower choses it to be. Personally I like to keep it simple. This pic shows all the mechanical parts for my hydro systems. Not shown are; hydroton/rockwool, lights of your choice and reservoir sitting just below.

IMG E0891

jj

ninjadip

ninjadip

Does anybody know?

I didn't know rockwool was losing popularity. I use it. I don't buy it at the grow shop because it is dirt cheap on Amazon. I've never used coco, so i'm on the other side I imagine.
I tried some kind of alternative fibrous medium to start seeds, and they all eventually had fungus growing from them. So never again, only rockwool. Sterile, and I re-use it, another reason you won't see me at the store.

Top Bottom