What's the matter with Rockwool for non commercial growers?

• Thread starter hydrodreams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hydrodreams

Personally, I think the biggest drawback hydro has is its fragility. Power outages are stressful enough. And the more tech you rely on, the more severe those outages get. I think people getting into it are (reasonably) overwhelmed by all the moving parts to hydro.......

Well with hydro, it seems to be the opposite of Rockwool: The bigger the room, the less you see it. Rockwool: the smaller the room, the less you see it. It seems to me.

beluga

beluga

Well with hydro, it seems to be the opposite of Rockwool: The bigger the room, the less you see it. Rockwool: the smaller the room, the less you see it. It seems to me.
I've definitely made the same observation.
I have to assume it's largely tradition - one grower teaches another, a friend sees their setup and tries to emulate it, they get a photo of their op published in magazine or online and someone tries to replicate it, and so on.

I think every media can perform well on a sliding scale, from micro to macro. It's just a matter of getting used to it and dialing it in.

... hydro's faster though 😏

ninjadip

ninjadip

I've definitely made the same observation.
I have to assume it's largely tradition - one grower teaches another, a friend sees their setup and tries to emulate it, they get a photo of their op published in magazine or online and someone tries to replicate it, and so on.

I think every media can perform well on a sliding scale, from micro to macro. It's just a matter of getting used to it and dialing it in.

... hydro's faster though 😏
There's an interesting video by Migro showing that coco outperforms soil in mass, and full hydro outperforms coco

beluga

beluga

There's an interesting video by Migro showing that coco outperforms soil in mass, and full hydro outperforms coco
I believe that's to do with air supply.
Soil (especially those bereft of microbial symbiotes) doesn't allow much gas exchange; coco provides more; hydro, oxymoronically, provides the most.

RonnieB2nd

RonnieB2nd

It's not very hard to recognize that allmost all of the big indoor companies in North America are using Rockwool as their prefered medium. In many videos where they talk about their facilities they also state the reasons why they chose to do so: sterility, steerability, consistency of medium from the manufacturer, low weight makes it easier to handle etc.....

In contrast to us non commercial growers(or better: "non-multimillion dollar facility owners 😎), where Rockwool is rarely seen anywhere. What is the reason for this? Is Rockwool especially sensitive for any imperfections of any kind in a grow room?

Does anybody know?

I am growing with coco and I am quite satisfied with the results, but I have always had a kind of a secret crush on Rockwool but never touched it since in any growshop they told my that nobody asks for it...
Absolutely nothing if you have automatic watering or else you'll be watering the plant a few times a day manually

H

hydrodreams

The hydro just had more total plant mass. The total weight of fruits was the highest in Coco.....

Unbenannt

Habosabin

Habosabin

no one would use hydro with a 5% fruit return when soil returns 44%. That fruit column has typos or something. Soil returns 300% more than hydro. Something is not right. It’s weird that soil and coco return almost 50% fruit by weight and hydro only returns 5.5%.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom