What's wrong with my lil baby?

• Thread starter KinkyTinkyWinky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KinkyTinkyWinky

Hey there. I'm rather new to growing (3rd grow starting rn), and one of my seedlings started looking like that. I had it in a jag the forst few weeks. Coco never dried out before i took the seedling out of the bag. It started turning yellow and a bit droopy. Overwatering maybe? Have only watered once since it sprouted though to give a lil nutes...
ā€ŠCoco has slowly started drying out a lil now

Whats wrong with my lil baby
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

You are supposed to water coco daily. If you are going to treat this like a soil grow then why not just use soil?

"I had it in a jag the forst few weeks"
"Have only watered once since it sprouted though to give a lil nutes..."

So this plant is a few weeks old and you've only watered it once, in coco. I suggest you really decide what growing medium fits your style and then do some research on that method. Any method you use going weeks without watering your plant is NOT normal. The very first set of leaves a seedling grows are called Cotyledons. These small leaves will provide the initial nutrients to your seedling and they will yellow and fall off after a week or two. Now you can start your nutrient regiment.

Welcome to the farm šŸŒ²

Last edited:
K

KinkyTinkyWinky

You are supposed to water coco daily. If you are going to treat this like a soil grow then why not just use soil?

"I had it in a jag the forst few weeks"
"Have only watered once since it sprouted though to give a lil nutes..."

So this plant is a few weeks old and you've only watered it once, in coco. I suggest you really decide what growing medium fits your style and then do some research on that method. Any method you use going weeks without watering your plant is NOT normal.

Welcome to the farm šŸŒ²
Aren't you going to overwater though?

I've read that you're not supposed to water seedlings early though. Just get the medium wet before planting, then leave it under a dome for the first 2 weeks without anything?

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Aren't you going to overwater though?

I've read that you're not supposed to water seedlings early though. Just get the medium wet before planting, then leave it under a dome for the first 2 weeks without anything?

No. No no no no no. I am going to give you my perspective as a SOIL grower:

I grab a 4" nursery pot
I fill the pot with my base soil mix
I saturate the pot completely
I sow the seed
I place this under a light in a tray with a humidity dome until the seed sprouts
First set of leaves - dome comes off

THIS ENTIRE TIME I WATER WHENEVER I SEE THE MEDIUM DRY OUT.

IMG 1747

You can clearly see which pots need water and which ones are okay for another day or so. And this is using soil/peat based medium. You are using 100% COCO COIR and you will need to change your watering habits. Everything I've read and heard about coco you should be watering daily.

K

KinkyTinkyWinky

No. No no no no no. I am going to give you my perspective as a SOIL grower:

I grab a 4" nursery pot
I fill the pot with my base soil mix
I saturate the pot completely
I sow the seed
I place this under a light in a tray with a humidity dome until the seed sprouts
First set of leaves - dome comes off

THIS ENTIRE TIME I WATER WHENEVER I SEE THE MEDIUM DRY OUT.

View attachment 1258589

You can clearly see which pots need water and which ones are okay for another day or so. And this is using soil/peat based medium. You are using 100% COCO COIR and you will need to change your watering habits. Everything I've read and heard about coco you should be watering daily.
My plants usually just die when i take the dome off so early šŸ˜… struggling keeping humidity up outside the dome...

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

My plants usually just die when i take the dome off so early šŸ˜… struggling keeping humidity up outside the dome...

If they die they are dying from something else. My plants regularly live with 20-30% RH the first couple of weeks until they get bigger.

No dome. No foliar spraying. Just good watering habits and proper light/temps/nutes. After a week...

IMG 1793

Two weeks...

IMG 1977

K

KinkyTinkyWinky

If they die they are dying from something else. My plants regularly live with 20-30% RH the first couple of weeks until they get bigger.

No dome. No foliar spraying. Just good watering habits and proper light/temps/nutes.
Alright. Imma give it some trial and error on the next run. Any idea how to fix this one now though?

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I know the pic is small, but you can clearly see 16% RH as the minimum šŸ˜¬

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Alright. Imma give it some trial and error on the next run. Any idea how to fix this one now though?

I don't grow coco myself, but I'd wager plant needs water & a light feeding. Gently rub the leaves between your fingers - if they feel rough or like paper def water ASAP. Your leaves should be soft and supple like a womans skin lol

strider26554

strider26554

Hey there. I'm rather new to growing (3rd grow starting rn), and one of my seedlings started looking like that. I had it in a jag the forst few weeks. Coco never dried out before i took the seedling out of the bag. It started turning yellow and a bit droopy. Overwatering maybe? Have only watered once since it sprouted though to give a lil nutes...
ā€ŠCoco has slowly started drying out a lil now
I cut and grow my own clones, about every tenth clone will appear as yours does for no apparent reason, some of them snap out of it others not so much, im not sure how this can translate into usable info for growing from seeds but when mine look as yours does its ussually a moisture issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom