whats yalls thoughts on top soil?

• Thread starter Crackerass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Crackerass

Premium Member
Supporter
I thinkin about usin top soil as a filler this year as when havin a bunch of plants and diggin 4 X 4 holes and using happy frog and stuff like that can get expensive... what are yalls thoughts on using this? it would be from nursery, if you have used this before and type or anything i used ask them about it before buying it. im just not tryin to spend thousands on bag soil and havin to go back and forth to the grow shop.... thanks guys

T

trichburner

The cheap stuff that you buy at home depot for $2 per 40lb bag tends to compact so will need some amending like peat/coir/perlite to loosen . The soils by themselves are good enough to keep seedlings green for three to four weeks , then you'll have to start feeding . It's definately cheaper than specialized pro mixes , but you'll still be investing in fertilizers .

How goods the native soil in your area ? IMHO , If it's not packed clay , I would consider just amending the native soil before using potting soil .

C

Clubber Lang

Yea I think the pre bagged super soils are over hyped you can make somthing pretty darn good with simple stuff. I agree w/trich about amending your soil first, maybe even get a soil test so you can get a handle on what you do and don't have in there as well as your PH

Worm castings and coir are good, as well as a nice og blended fertilizer that you can supplement with other stuff during the veg and bloom phases, if your going chem I suggest a slow release fert like osmocote rather than the cheap 10-10-10 stuff that is totally water solulable. Someone told me advance nutes is makeing a nice slow release.

Their are many ways to skin a cat and I'm sure you would be kickin ass with 4'x4' in ground container of top-soil as well. I'd go with a top soil/compost blend.

Peace

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

I mix it with pro-mix and manure for outdoors. I'll be adding worm castings this year.

C

Crackerass

Premium Member
Supporter
im talkin about top soil that you get hauled in for a nursery or i guess they call it nuti soil....

C

Crackerass

Premium Member
Supporter
im probably goin to use sub's soil mix to a degree with a few extra things. but since that can expensive im wantin to know what yall thought about mixin in good top soil/nuti soil in with it to cut it a bit with doin big holes. im goin to be using a tea mix on them after that....

hubcap

hubcap

if you in a bind and just gotta get bulk....

get the batch with minimal or no time release ferts.
amend all that yourself.

also.....keep in mind...some sticks and debris is ok cuz itll retain water but TOO much isnt good....

common sense be your guide there.

if it looks nasty and, for lack of a better term, dirty...
pass on it.

tuff call cuz everyones methods/locale/climte/strains are different....

-hubcap-

Top Bottom