Whats your pesticide?

• Thread starter CosmoGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Hey everyone. Im a new grower here, i one time had a problem with spider mites, but i threw the clones away, cleaned everything and ever since then ive been fine. But the scare is always there. So im just wondering, whats your defense line up? Whether you use it as a foliar spray, or put it in the soil, what do you use to protect your plants? Im trying to get a basic protection lineup going to kind of just prevent pests from even coming in the first place. Should i go pesticide free if i can? should i protect?

I use FFOF, just ordered happy frog for soil.

B

Burned Haze

Big suggestion is get a 60x-100x scope and be a detective on what kind of pest that is, if you can even get a computer usb leaf scope you can get them that are 100-1000x for under 100 bucks and all you gotta do is take a sample or take your phone / computer in and look under a leaf or two and find what kind of pest it is. It matter what breed that mite is, cause so many mites the pesticide it won’t even do effect it ( like broad mites or russsets compared to two spots )

It’s always good to have a great IPM shelf to kill diff stages and so you don’t have get resistance . Prevention is the key but also rotation finalizes so much of a win in the battle . So many growers rely on one bottle and that’s def a stupid thing to do

Grandevo ( use that when your at prevent and mid populations, people should always IPM and prevent spray , once your infected it’s 10x harder )+ BotaniGard 22wp if you can and mix it together for super biocontrol ( anther soft bodied defense , unlimited applications & safe ),
venerate xc buy both non cannabis label for venerate and grandevo that will save you 25%+ and is same thing + both need wetting agent ( yucca extract is what I use)
Pyganic 5.0
Azaguard
- that will slow them down, but also slow down reproduction rates, repels
Conserve sc - best thrip killer out there, also kills mites this stuff is so concentrated and cheap its 3.5 ml and like 100 bucks for a pint
Green cleaner- benefit of this product is it’s super efficient on all eggs, adults and all stages like a bad pesticide. But it’s completely safe . Bad part it’s expensive ( that’s why buy some to kill main populations or certain times and use others for IPM )

Last edited by a moderator:
cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

I have fought spider mites, broad mites and thrips. Fighting them sucks. Having beat them each back I now have a strict regimen for IPM. Once a week I treat all of my veg with a mixture of fresh aloe Vera (I keep two plants in my veg tent), kelp juice, oroboost, and one of the following on rotation:
Grandevo
Pfr-97
Spinosad
I have found all of these to be effective when infested and therefore trust them to kill small populations. I also used nematodes on the thrips.
When infested I have found (as recommended to me on this site) micronized sulfur to be effective.
The trick is to clue into the lifecycle of your bug and wack them again and again with a rotation of several products at intervals that will cut their life cycle off.
All of the above I believe to be safe when used in veg and even early flower. They are not harsh chemicals. I never spray developing flowers but have, in desperate times, used a paint brush to treat leaves and stems of flowering plants.
I also use a student type microscope and scout regularly for bugs. I find the handheld scopes difficult to use and prefer to pick a leaf, bring it to my table and examine it under the microscope. Spotting the buggers before they take hold gives you a great advantage.
I also hang yellow sticky cards in my grow, but they mostly just get stuck in my hair etc.
I would be interested in hearing other comments and approaches.

Seraphine

Seraphine

All of the above suggestions are spot on.

I would also consider these too:

elemental sulfur or wettable sulfur and diatomaceous earth. I dust a mixture of elemental sulfur and DE on the floor of my grow tent , on the top of my coco and on the stems.

Azamax is good because it can be used as a foliar spray and root drench. It’s also systemic when applied to the soil or coco-better for insects, not mites.

Azera is good too- better for insects, not mites.

look into the other biopesticides (similar to how grandevo and PFR97 work).

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Sulphur burner is my #1. Prevents mildew, and makes it very unwelcoming for spider mites.
#2 would be pyrethrin bombs.
Fav nuke would have to be Imid, but only when you absolutely need to put an end to the un-winnable war.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Big suggestion is get a 60x-100x scope and be a detective on what kind of pest that is, if you can even get a computer usb leaf scope you can get them that are 100-1000x for under 100 bucks and all you gotta do is take a sample or take your phone / computer in and look under a leaf or two and find what kind of pest it is. It matter what breed that mite is, cause so many mites the pesticide it won’t even do effect it ( like broad mites or russsets compared to two spots )

It’s always good to have a great IPM shelf to kill diff stages and so you don’t have get resistance . Prevention is the key but also rotation finalizes so much of a win in the battle . So many growers rely on one bottle and that’s def a stupid thing to do

Grandevo ( use that when your at prevent and mid populations, people should always IPM and prevent spray , once your infected it’s 10x harder )+ BotaniGard 22wp if you can and mix it together for super biocontrol ( anther soft bodied defense , unlimited applications & safe ),
venerate xc buy both non cannabis label for venerate and grandevo that will save you 25%+ and is same thing + both need wetting agent ( yucca extract is what I use)
Pyganic 5.0
Azaguard
- that will slow them down, but also slow down reproduction rates, repels
Conserve sc - best thrip killer out there, also kills mites this stuff is so concentrated and cheap its 3.5 ml and like 100 bucks for a pint
Green cleaner- benefit of this product is it’s super efficient on all eggs, adults and all stages like a bad pesticide. But it’s completely safe . Bad part it’s expensive ( that’s why buy some to kill main populations or certain times and use others for IPM )

Solid post. Damn you guys are lucky being able to buy that stuff.

Dbear180

Dbear180

I use Promis for dirt bugs. Forbid for leaf bugs. Not very often I have to use them. I haven't used the Forbid in a few years & Promis handled a little root aphid issue I had last year.

Clean, clutter free room is a happy room. I dont ALWAYS do it, but since my lights run at night I usually take a shower before I go in because I gotta take a shower after work anyway.

V

Vondank420

Only bio controls for my ladies and 95% of the time it's just cleaning and sterilizing practices.

the rrock

the rrock

I haven't had bugs for a few years but for root aphids I used merit-75 as root drench and haven't had any come back,for SM ive used floramite and avid on a rotating basis. Never use on buds only in veg
Ive never use neem or any other oils,I just dont like the oil on anything especially buds

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Damn, Grandevo, and some other pesticides cost more than what i payed for my grow light itself. Obviously they probably work well tho thats why. So, alot of questions!! You guys set yourself up for these, if you dont know me by now, you should know im just one big question mark. Its all i do. So anyways,

Mold/Mildew likes certain hot temperatures, and certain cold temperatures with ranging humidity. My tent fluctuates, Some days itll hit 77,some days its drops to 70. But i always keep it in that healthy happy range for the plants. With this fluctuation, and even the 10% humidity fluctuation i have, am i kind of "confusing" future mold/mildew, and preventing it that way, as the mold and mildew dont have a steady temperature to grow in?

BotaniGuard:
Ive heard alot about
this, im going to pick some up, just to have it on deck as it seems reliable. Is this correct?

Orange Oil:
As stated above, What brand?

AVID:
This shit seems pretty reliable too. Ive heard you cannot spray indoors though. Indoor safe?

**I Grow in my bedroom, next to my pets, out of all this stuff, obviously keep pets away from it and all, but is all this stuff able to be sprayed inside the tent with pets living around it?

***My tent has holes in it, because my dog got scared during a storm and decided to try and scratch her way in, Fucking dog.... Does this make me vulnerable to pests? Would it be worth a new tent? I have been thinking about one for a bit anyways.

****Its winter, I leave my window in my bedroom open to cool it to use less A/C,Bad idea for bugs?

*****Buying an air purifier on amazon, putting it right outside the tent to clear the air being drawn in. Would this help prevention wise?

Can someone link me to Micronized Sulfur? Just taking a look, i am not purchasing everything stated.

How would this work?

Clean, clutter free room is a happy room. I dont ALWAYS do it, but since my lights run at night I usually take a shower before I go in because I gotta take a shower after work anyway.

Fuck it, better safe than sorry, im going to start doing this since i have to shower after work as well, might as well just fuckin do it lol.
I want to go full World War 3 on prevention on these bitches. I dont even want to have to fuck with a bug. Im sure ill have to, but less the better obviously.
I even just put my clothes in a closet outside the grow room, no more dirty clothes allowed in the room!!!

PS: You guys are fukin awesome. Love the diverse approaches everyone has.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That's the right sulphur, can only be used in Veg though.

Biggest issue with high humidity is if your temp drops at lights out you can get major spikes and dew forming, that's when mildew takes hold.

Botanigard is also good stuff. Again very pricey and has a relatively short expiration date so just know you might only use 1/8th of that bag for a tent grow before it's useless.

Open window and holes in the tent is a major invitation for bugs. both of those are issues that should be corrected.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
That's the right sulphur, can only be used in Veg though.

Biggest issue with high humidity is if your temp drops at lights out you can get major spikes and dew forming, that's when mildew takes hold.

Botanigard is also good stuff. Again very pricey and has a relatively short expiration date so just know you might only use 1/8th of that bag for a tent grow before it's useless.

Open window and holes in the tent is a major invitation for bugs. both of those are issues that should be corrected.

LOL, you can tell me what i dont want to hear man... Its okay.... :'( to amazon for a new tent.... (fuck my wallet right?)
HAHAH, but again, my crop getting ruined is not worth it, id rather be safe than sorry. Maybe temporary patch ideas until i can gather some funds for a new tent? Going to try to gather the funds for a nice one, not going to go cheap, so it may take a week or two.

I dont really have a humidity spike when the lights go out, I do, but it only gos up to about 5%. The most ive had is like a 10% spike. lll keep a close eye though, appreciate that tip greatly.

Thanks dirtbag, you guys be helping me a shit ton.

Dbear180

Dbear180

LOL, you can tell me what i dont want to hear man... Its okay.... :'( to amazon for a new tent.... (fuck my wallet right?)
HAHAH, but again, my crop getting ruined is not worth it, id rather be safe than sorry. Maybe temporary patch ideas until i can gather some funds for a new tent? Going to try to gather the funds for a nice one, not going to go cheap, so it may take a week or two.

I dont really have a humidity spike when the lights go out, I do, but it only gos up to about 5%. The most ive had is like a 10% spike. lll keep a close eye though, appreciate that tip greatly.

Thanks dirtbag, you guys be helping me a shit ton.

Look at gorilla tents I got a nice 5x5 last year around black friday for a sweet price. Built super tough I'm very happy with it.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Look at gorilla tents I got a nice 5x5 last year around black friday for a sweet price. Built super tough I'm very happy with it.

Gorrilla and mars hydro are obviously the superior tents of them all. Beside them, any other brand suggestions? i want something that can hold weight, as ill eventually have multiple lights hanging. i just ask for alternatives incase i cant get all the funds needed for the expensive gorrilla or mars hydro tents.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Gorrilla and mars hydro are obviously the superior tents of them all. Beside them, any other brand suggestions? i want something that can hold weight, as ill eventually have multiple lights hanging. i just ask for alternatives incase i cant get all the funds needed for the expensive gorrilla or mars hydro tents.

If I remember correctly I paid less than $300 for a limited edition 5x5 blue digital camo. They were less than the og black one & I thought it was kinda cool. Def worth the wait for their holiday sales being this close.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
If I remember correctly I paid less than $300 for a limited edition 5x5 blue digital camo. They were less than the og black one & I thought it was kinda cool. Def worth the wait for their holiday sales being this close.
I was able to find mars hydro for 132 and gorrilla for 231 with the extensions. Am i losing out going to mars instead of gorrilla? or am i getting decent quality with mars?

Top Bottom