What's You're Dialed In Simple Nutrientnutrient Recipe?

• Thread starter slimjimham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
slimjimham

slimjimham

So I'm into it about a year, think I'm doing well, overcame lots of hurdles along the way... Change nutrients a couple times, have things going well but still think they could be better

I grew a single plant in a 5gal bucket dwc style a while ago and crushed it with no knowledge, and bad maintenance practices. Bottom buds were cola sized (was prob around 1000ppm on 500 scale peak flower)

Now I'm growing big plants (4 under each 1k)

Long story short I'm not getting big colas, lots of smaller buds that add up to a better overall yield compared to soil, but buds aren't getting huge like I know they can.

Was having issues with burnt tips on buds that started 6 weeks in and continued till harvest.

I think I have that figured out, now I'm filling the system on a new change with

50ml magical
100ml uc roots
200ml canna subatra a & b (for soft water)

That's it, ph to 5.8

System is uc 4xl, that brings ppms just over 400 on a 500 scale

Systems are typically at 400-300ppm in flower (tried letting them because was having the burnt tops on buds that I mentioned, this seems to have fixed it?)

Veg ppms 80-200 ppm

My buddie just came over who was growing hydro but had to shut it down saying how all his buds were huge... While most of mine aren't.

I'm using chillers at 65*
0 ppm ro water that's UV filtered

I change tanks once a week in flower

What's the reason I'm not getting huge buds?

The pics posted show decent sized ones... But again they're not that big, and these are the only pics I have... You don't take pics of the smaller buds usually ha

And this plants isn't the best example, I was pretty happy with this one and I just took it down yesterday

Whats youre dialed in simple nutrientnutrient recipe
Whats youre dialed in simple nutrientnutrient recipe 2
Whats youre dialed in simple nutrientnutrient recipe 3
Whats youre dialed in simple nutrientnutrient recipe 4
Last edited:
Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Each strain is gonna be different when it comes to ppm/mix. Even same strain different seeds act different. I pay the most attention to my ppm after the plants have drank a couple gallon. If the ppm is the same as you set it your right on. If ppm rises then your too high. Youll never hardly be perfect but the closer you stay to that the healthier the plant will be.

I'm usually up to 1.0ec to 1.5 by the end of veg. That usually jumps up a lil bit for the stretch, then tapers off after that. I like to see the plant fade as she finishes up. As long as you watch your ppm after they drink it'll tell you what the plant is doing.

ken dog

ken dog

For what it's worth, I think it's better to have the nutrient level drop every day instead of stay even.
Every day (and sometimes twice a day), I will top it off by hand...usually a gallon, maybe three-quarters of a gallon or two gallons...and raise the PPMs back up to where they were, or increase it by 10.

If I find myself in a situation where my PPMs don't go down when I need to add water, I will drop my EC until I see a drop a PPMs.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

day 27 today for me.
last eve ppm was set at 750, temp 66 degrees, ph 5.9, reservoir turned off
this morning, ppm was at 740, temp 66, ph 5.9 and water level was down maybe an inch.(they drank and ate)
open the res valve to fill the buckets to the set level, the ppm now reads 710 when water is topped up, temp 66, ph 5.9 (res water is crappý ro'd well water comming into the res at 130 ppm with 50 ppm of cal mag added so the res water sits at 180)
toped up the system up with nutes to 740 ppm (my batch mix will raise the ppm's 30), ph is at 5.9.
will reset everything before lights off.

Last edited:
Midwestjay

Midwestjay

For what it's worth, I think it's better to have the nutrient level drop every day instead of stay even.
Every day (and sometimes twice a day), I will top it off by hand...usually a gallon, maybe three-quarters of a gallon or two gallons...and raise the PPMs back up to where they were, or increase it by 10.

If I find myself in a situation where my PPMs don't go down when I need to add water, I will drop my EC until I see a drop a PPMs.
Yea I stay on the dropping side as much as I can. But long as it's not jumping up I'm happy.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

day 27 today for me.
last eve ppm was set at 750, temp 66 degrees, ph 5.9, reservoir turned off
this morning, ppm was at 740, temp 66, ph 5.9 and water level was down maybe an inch.(they drank and ate)
open the res valve to fill the buckets to the set level, the ppm now reads 710 when water is topped up, temp 66, ph 5.9 (res water is crappý ro'd well water comming into the res at 130 ppm with 50 ppm of cal mag added so the res water sits at 180)
toped up the system up with nutes to 740 ppm (my batch mix will raise the ppm's 30), ph is at 5.9.
will reset everything before lights off.
Sounds good bro. I'm not one who tops off I let them drink the res down. Imo mine do better with the roots exposed through the week as the water drops. Long as the roots are touching the water at all the plant will drink all it needs.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

As previously mentioned, a lot depends on the individual strain and sometimes individual phenos of the same strain Last two grows were Lemon Diesel. They did well in the 450 - 500 ppm range on the 500 scale. This grow is Blue Dream and it's a heavier feeder. It's 7 weeks into flowering and has done well at around 575. I'm running H&G Aqua Flakes, Multi Zen, N Boost, Bud XL and Top Booster. Base nutes, Multi Zen and N Boost in veg, base nutes, Bud XL and Top Booster in flower. I'm running RO at 25 ppm, so add enough cal/mag to a starting ppm of 125. When I see my pH dropping I add silica to raise it back up instead of pH up. I had issues with weak stems and the silica has fixed that.

slimjimham

slimjimham

Just got my cultured solutions sample as I'm starting a fresh round today.

W/ 0ppm water I did

50ml calmag
100ml uc roots
45ml veg a/b
45ml bloom a/b

This gave me a ppm of like 340 on the 500 scale. Calmag was 80ppm

Any insight to if you think this is a good mix?

Excited to try the reformulated cultured solutions

...they say they didn't do anything to the uc roots but it has less of a bleach smell like the old stuff and almost a hint of hydrogen peroxide smell to the new stuff... This was just my first impressions so I'll have to check back and will report on that

I'm looking at keeping my ppms under 500 on this round and well see how it goes... Also going to start using my topoff tanks again, think this will make everything go smoother for the plants :)

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Wow I can't imagine running all that shit. I tried silica and didn't do anything for me. Since then I've read a lot about how silica and mj don't mix. Like seeing all these different schedules.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Just got my cultured solutions sample as I'm starting a fresh round today.

W/ 0ppm water I did

50ml calmag
100ml uc roots
45ml veg a/b
45ml bloom a/b

This gave me a ppm of like 340 on the 500 scale. Calmag was 80ppm

Any insight to if you think this is a good mix?

Excited to try the reformulated cultured solutions

...they say they didn't do anything to the uc roots but it has less of a bleach smell like the old stuff and almost a hint of hydrogen peroxide smell to the new stuff... This was just my first impressions so I'll have to check back and will report on that

I'm looking at keeping my ppms under 500 on this round and well see how it goes... Also going to start using my topoff tanks again, think this will make everything go smoother for the plants :)
#
slim how old are the girls?

slimjimham

slimjimham

That pic the girls were just about to come down

For that nutrient recipe I posted it was the start of flower (day 1)

chronic68

chronic68

So I'm into it about a year, think I'm doing well, overcame lots of hurdles along the way... Change nutrients a couple times, have things going well but still think they could be better

I grew a single plant in a 5gal bucket dwc style a while ago and crushed it with no knowledge, and bad maintenance practices. Bottom buds were cola sized (was prob around 1000ppm on 500 scale peak flower)

Now I'm growing big plants (4 under each 1k)

Long story short I'm not getting big colas, lots of smaller buds that add up to a better overall yield compared to soil, but buds aren't getting huge like I know they can.

Was having issues with burnt tips on buds that started 6 weeks in and continued till harvest.

I think I have that figured out, now I'm filling the system on a new change with

50ml magical
100ml uc roots
200ml canna subatra a & b (for soft water)

That's it, ph to 5.8

System is uc 4xl, that brings ppms just over 400 on a 500 scale

Systems are typically at 400-300ppm in flower (tried letting them because was having the burnt tops on buds that I mentioned, this seems to have fixed it?)

Veg ppms 80-200 ppm

My buddie just came over who was growing hydro but had to shut it down saying how all his buds were huge... While most of mine aren't.

I'm using chillers at 65*
0 ppm ro water that's UV filtered

I change tanks once a week in flower

What's the reason I'm not getting huge buds?

The pics posted show decent sized ones... But again they're not that big, and these are the only pics I have... You don't take pics of the smaller buds usually ha

And this plants isn't the best example, I was pretty happy with this one and I just took it down yesterday

i think your nutes are fine im not a expert or well know farmer or anything but i think playing with some different training techniques could help with your yield its probably the pic but your plant looks wild and although that is cool it ant the best for bud growth. for instance im a big believer in topping and lollypoping but this grow im gonna super crop as well and try out a scrog for the first time. your bud quality looks killer though congrats if you get smokable weed your killing it if you dont belive me walk around some of these legal dispensaries for example livwell dispensaries "gag" makes millions off weed that is disgusting and like 12% thc id rather have the Texas Reggie i grew up on than that.

MurderVille

MurderVille

As previously mentioned, a lot depends on the individual strain and sometimes individual phenos of the same strain Last two grows were Lemon Diesel. They did well in the 450 - 500 ppm range on the 500 scale. This grow is Blue Dream and it's a heavier feeder. It's 7 weeks into flowering and has done well at around 575. I'm running H&G Aqua Flakes, Multi Zen, N Boost, Bud XL and Top Booster. Base nutes, Multi Zen and N Boost in veg, base nutes, Bud XL and Top Booster in flower. I'm running RO at 25 ppm, so add enough cal/mag to a starting ppm of 125. When I see my pH dropping I add silica to raise it back up instead of pH up. I had issues with weak stems and the silica has fixed that.

If your pH is dropping then you may need to dial something down.

A general rule of thumb in UC is that if the pH is dropping, then you are feeding too much FWIW.

MurderVille

MurderVille

My pH drop when the plants are transitioning to flower.

How far are your lights from your plants? The ph can be dropping due to light stress. Flower and veg lighting is typically vastly different and can be a major contributor to transitional stress. I try to double the distance from the lights during the transition to flower FWIW.

CocoCola

CocoCola

How far are your lights from your plants? The ph can be dropping due to light stress. Flower and veg lighting is typically vastly different and can be a major contributor to transitional stress. I try to double the distance from the lights during the transition to flower FWIW.

I learned much of what I know from Canna Nutrients. Here's an excerpt from their growing guide and it has been my personal experience that around week 2 - 4 you start seeing drops in pH.

"During the growing phase, plants tend to cause the nutrient solution’s pH to rise. This happens because at this stage the roots can excrete relative large quantities of elements that increase the pH. During thefloweringphase,thereversehappens: the roots now produce acidic secretions causing the nutrient solution’s pH to fall."

Source: http://www.cannagardening.com/everything_about_ec_ph_and_ppm_using_aqua

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
What kind of light are you flowering under? You need hps to get those huge colas.
Looks more like mh light color than a hps 1000 watt...

guymandude

guymandude

i think your nutes are fine im not a expert or well know farmer or anything but i think playing with some different training techniques could help with your yield its probably the pic but your plant looks wild and although that is cool it ant the best for bud growth. for instance im a big believer in topping and lollypoping but this grow im gonna super crop as well and try out a scrog for the first time. your bud quality looks killer though congrats if you get smokable weed your killing it if you dont belive me walk around some of these legal dispensaries for example livwell dispensaries "gag" makes millions off weed that is disgusting and like 12% thc id rather have the Texas Reggie i grew up on than that.

I completely agree. LivWell sells crap. I went to Denver to see The Dead & Co a year ago. The sativa dom buds i bought were heavier than the indicas and there was nothing special about the weed at all. It was rather boring, in fact. Thank God I had some primo blotter that night or else i would have been completely disappointed.
Colorado commercial weed has no soul at all.

Top Bottom