When does a strain become a “new” strain, and your own strain?

• Thread starter PLantAsEED
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Say you start with an F3 og kush and an F1 cherry pie.

If you cross them both at this stage, all you would have is a hybrid cross?

If you take the F3 OG and breed it to an F7/P1, is it a new strain w a new name? Or just a stable OG? (Same for the F1 cherry pie)

Then if you cross the F7 og and F7 cherry pie to get a new F1 is that F1 now your very own creation?

what I am asking is when do strains change name, and when would they become your own to sell or market. In the above example crossing each strain to f7 then crossing the two, did that make one new strain, three new strains, or none??

beluga

beluga

The use of strain in the first place is a misnomer.
Strains are more relevant in less complex lifeforms like fungi, bacteria, and viruses where any pairing of two separate single reproductive cells is considered a strain.
What everyone is selling and growing are cultivars.
And, basically, so long as you have distinct traits that you can maintain through pollinating and seeding of the same cultivar... you have yourself something that can be registered as its own variety... or cultivar.

As it stands, (the way I see it at least) it's a shit show of unstable genetics being tossed around with the wrong terminology. So, I'd say go nuts and name anything you want whatever you want.
There are some genuine breeders standing like totems in a sea of chaos. Try to be them.

Slap

Slap

The use of strain in the first place is a misnomer.
Strains are more relevant in less complex lifeforms like fungi, bacteria, and viruses where any pairing of two separate single reproductive cells is considered a strain.
What everyone is selling and growing are cultivars.
And, basically, so long as you have distinct traits that you can maintain through pollinating and seeding of the same cultivar... you have yourself something that can be registered as its own variety... or cultivar.

As it stands, (the way I see it at least) it's a shit show of unstable genetics being tossed around with the wrong terminology. So, I'd say go nuts and name anything you want whatever you want.
There are some genuine breeders standing like totems in a sea of chaos. Try to be them.
Here, Here! I'd go with what he said!

Top Bottom