When does the flowering time start?

• Thread starter PhoenixFlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

My seeds say flowering time is 8-9 weeks, does that time commence as soon as I flip to the 12-12 schedule? Or do I have to wait for the buds to fully shoot through and develop before starting the clock?

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

My seeds say flowering time is 8-9 weeks, does that time commence as soon as I flip to the 12-12 schedule? Or do I have to wait for the buds to fully shoot through and develop before starting the clock?
I would throw the breeder timeline in the trash. Its completely useless and doesnt mean anything in my opinion. Not one single plant ive grown has finished in the breeders said timeline. Currently growing a "9 week finisher" and im in the 13th week of flower now with no sign of it finishing within the next 2 weeks.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

I would throw the breeder timeline in the trash. Its completely useless and doesnt mean anything in my opinion. Not one single plant ive grown has finished in the breeders said timeline. Currently growing a "9 week finisher" and im in the 13th week of flower now with no sign of it finishing within the next 2 weeks.
oh wow, so I really might not harvest until new year LOL

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Some folks start their count from flip, but I don't consider my plant as "flowering" until I start to see pistils. I guess it varies grower to grower.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I think most people start counting from the time they flip. If your plants are mature enough to flower, I think that's the best way to do it.

If you flip young plants before they have preflowers, your flower time will be longer than average.

Breeders times are usually exaggerated. They fit better when starting from clone than from seed. Also, if your temperatures are a little low, it will take weeks longer to finish. (Hmm... how would I know that?)

beluga

beluga

Some folks start their count from flip, but I don't consider my plant as "flowering" until I start to see pistils. I guess it varies grower to grower.
This.
Especially for younger plants (ones recently sprouted, not necessarily ones recently rooted), it can take weeks after changing photoperiod just for them to reach sexual maturity. I'm in that boat right now.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

I start count when i see good amount pistils and mostly breeder flowering time have been right sometimes 1-2 week more and if you want more amber then its longer ofc.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

This.
Especially for younger plants (ones recently sprouted, not necessarily ones recently rooted), it can take weeks after changing photoperiod just for them to reach sexual maturity. I'm in that boat right now.
I'm the same. I start when I see pistil formation but, yes, claimed times are usually shortened for marketing appeal. The GG4 I have in the tent says 8 weeks. I'm gonna count on minimum of 10 weeks ALTHOUGH.....these flipped SUPER fast. I'm used to flips taking a week or so before I see pistils. Pistil formation came within days of light schedule change. Maybe that's a sign they'll actually mature within the claimed time? I guess we'll see.

Harvest should be dictated by trichome coloring. Get a loupe and keep an eye on your trichrome formation. I like to see my trichs all milky with just a few starting to amber. At that point I'll give it a few more days before harvest time. Trichs will continue to amber until they've been fully cured. If you time it right you can get that perfect balance of milk to amber.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

I'm the same. I start when I see pistil formation but, yes, claimed times are usually shortened for marketing appeal. The GG4 I have in the tent says 8 weeks. I'm gonna count on minimum of 10 weeks ALTHOUGH.....these flipped SUPER fast. I'm used to flips taking a week or so before I see pistils. Pistil formation came within days of light schedule change. Maybe that's a sign they'll actually mature within the claimed time? I guess we'll see.

Harvest should be dictated by trichome coloring. Get a loupe and keep an eye on your trichrome formation. I like to see my trichs all milky with just a few starting to amber. At that point I'll give it a few more days before harvest time. Trichs will continue to amber until they've been fully cured. If you time it right you can get that perfect balance of milk to amber.
I invested in a $13 Carson pocket microscope for specifically this reason.

Question is, which bud do I pick to be the sole determiner of knowing when to harvest? Biggest, smallest, or a bud that's in between the size of the biggest and smallest?

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Question is, which bud do I pick to be the sole determiner of knowing when to harvest? Biggest, smallest, or a bud that's in between the size of the biggest and smallest?
I usually check a few buds throughout the whole plant but im sure each person is different.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

You should do it from 12/12 because that way you actually have a definite time required,waiting for development may mean different opinions from different people. The other way there is no guesswork.. JMO

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

You should do it from 12/12 because that way you actually have a definite time required,waiting for development may mean different opinions from different people. The other way there is no guesswork.. JMO
I flipped to flower on the 15th. So around Remembrance Day (Nov.11) sometime afterwards I'll definitely report back here to show you guys my results. That will be roughly around the 8 week timeframe

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Since your issue is when to harvest I would look over the entire plant and look to see what size flower is the dominant one on the plant and go with that. I feel those flowers would best represent what's happening overall rather than on your best performers.

growsince79

growsince79

^^^Agree^^^ and here's why. My Colombian plants takes 60-70 days after flip to start flowering, then they flower for another 9 weeks. If I told someone flowering time was 9 weeks, I'd be lying.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

^^^Agree^^^ and here's why. My Colombian plants takes 60-70 days after flip to start flowering, then they flower for another 9 weeks. If I told someone flowering time was 9 weeks, I'd be lying.
So the day you change light schedule to 12/12 it takes your colombian plant almost 11 weeks to flower maturation?

Top Bottom