when does the outdoor season start in so.cal?

• Thread starter jtmyzery2008
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jtmyzery2008

moving to socal in 2 weeks and i was wondering when the outdoor season starts down i know its gonna be to late to start anything this season but when does everyone usually start any help would be appreciated

K

Kauphaart

moving to socal in 2 weeks and i was wondering when the outdoor season starts down i know its gonna be to late to start anything this season but when does everyone usually start any help would be appreciated

Here in Southern California - I grow outdoors year round in containers using cheap CFLs to supplement daylight as needed..I just harvested a crop started in Feb and will stagger flower plants for a perpetual harvest..and an inexpensive one at that...Good Luck..

I

Inter-Tribal

I live in nor cal near the sacramento area. Put some plants out in mid april and just harvested!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You've gotta be kidding me. I've had some plants out since last year and they haven't developed into anything except micros. Of course, my plan was that they would die sitting out there. They just won't die!

Rushoe

Rushoe

I have a green crack I just put it outside like two week ago seems to be vegging now.Here in the SFV.

P

paulycali

I am in Socal SD area and would start planting around june 1st anything before that may still try to flower

southstreets

southstreets

that only happens if ur plantin from clone.. if its from seed ur fine!!! i start my lil seedlings begin of march (which i've done since 75).. i like to let my plants hardin up towards the weather.. then they can handle anything.. natural selection bro!!! yea ur plants will grow a lil slow the first couple months but then they pick up the end of may and mine grow bout 2 in to 4 in every week then on out due to the equinox movin and givin us a couple hours more of light!!! and im in so cal myself bro!! hope this helps... south calles :character0180:

G

Gro

don't let mother nature dictate ur gro season,use supplemental lighting.all it takes is 56-60 watts per plant to keep em in veg.i plant in march-april.i use homemade mini greenhouses and 500 watt work lights on timers.i have 6+ footers by june1st.most years.only problem is the searchlight adverting my gro.

southstreets

southstreets

i dont let it dictate my grow.. i just perfer natural selection bro.. only the strong servive... plus i grow inner city.. which means i gotta keep my plants at 6 feet max..

E

edux10

i think a lot of people starting outdoors that are getting really small plants may be shocking them from the get go. Remember to harden off pants for a week or so before putting them in full and direct sunlight especally if you are going from 24 hrs indoor light to outside you will need some adjusting...

P

paulycali

hey farmers whats your input on the start and end of the grow season in the southern california area? What month most plants should be put outside and what month most plants finish flowering in

P

pyegi

Question: Is July ok to start a grow outdoors? And how long does it take to start producing? Where I live is almost always sunny and warm year round.

another_sellout

another_sellout

Me- born in East LA, raised in San Diego. Let me make this clear- THERE IS NO GROW SEASON. You should be harvesting four times a year if you live somewhere that doesn't freeze for a week straight. Borrow a Sunset garden guide. Really. Library should have it. You're in the garden of Eden. As long as you put girls out, they'll come back to you healthy and fat with minimal effort. Anyone who says otherwise just hasn't tried it. PS- In Colorado, our last frost was two weeks ago, I harvest my spring crop next week. Let those who say it can't be done stay out of the way of those doing it.

D

dmc65

Its not a question of what can be done. Its a question of what the natural growing season is in So Cal. for Cannabis. Sure there are ways to grow all year long with supplemental lighting or light blocking techniques-depending on what season your are in. But, for the person who wants to put the plants out and have them veg thru to maturity and flower at their peak under the natural receeding sunlight, i would put seedlings out in mid May and put any clones out mid June. Seedlings could be put out earlier but they will not get any bigger than the ones put out in May or June- or even early July for that matter. Clones put outside earlier than June will likely flower early and will not have an adequate veg period leaving the plants to bloom before reaching max size and maturity.
I'm basing this on years of experience growing outdoors in Cali. Things could vary slightly based on strains and where in Cali you are- inland versus coastal.
I once put 2 three foot plants out in March to flower. they got to about 4 feet with the stretch and then made it to about week 6 of flower then wanted to revert back to veg in mid April. They would not have ripened properly outside so i returned them indoors to flower and control the light period giving them 12/12. i have also had almost all clones that i put outside before June start to flower early even though the daylight was at 13 to 14.5 hours. In this case you have to bring them in and supplement the light indoor to keep them in veg until mid June.
On the flip side i've put plants out in last week of July thinking it would be too late to amount to anything. i was wrong and they all caught up to the older plants in size and became full size plants.
The normal time to harvest a nuturally cycled female outdoors in Cali is September and October for most strains. Some Sativas could go to November.
Again, this is only my personal experience and i thought i would share it. Has anyone had different results?

O

ogkush90284

Mine are budding right now. WTF? They're clones too so that may be the reason.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If a cut is taken from one set photoperiod, let's say 18/6, and dropped into a photoperiod with a sufficiently shorter daylight period, IT WILL FLOWER. Watch for those funky leaves, the ones with single or triple lobes. Those are the sign that it's confused.

Right now even my seed starts are flowering, rather nicely, too. I look forward to some thick-ass buds from these girls. Longbottom Leaf, so far so good!

L

LOCO__MOCO

I'm pretty sure that june 21 was the longest day of the year, so now sunlight hours will be declining. Your plants should be starting to flower now.

Top Bottom