When Does Veg Start?

• Thread starter PatientOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PatientOne

Hello Farmers,

Longtime lurker, love to read. Now my question: When does veg begin in the timeline frame. I mean you germ your seeds, ie; paper towels, then cups of whatever your medium is, and then the little boogers sprout. OK, now when do you start counting as Veg? I hope I am clear, and thanks for taking the time for a reply.

Bless you all..
PatientOne

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
im not really sure what you mean but as long as it is growing and not flowering, its vegging. it will tell you when its time to start flowering by its pre flowers...

P

PatientOne

Hey there,

I'm sorry about not being clear. I am confused when a strain like Jack the Ripper comes with instructions that it would be beneficial doing an extra long veg. I have also read that some strains you don't want to veg for more than 30 days before flip. I comprehend that this has to do with stretch and the final height of your plant. So really I want to know what one would consider the beginning of veg. Is it the first set of true leaves? Or is it when you size up their pot. Let me try and explain better. I germed a few seeds in paper towels, once I saw a tail I put them in seedling mix so they can sprout. They have sprouted, have their cotyledons and a single set of leaves. I want to veg them for at least 30 days. When do you start counting? Thank you so very much for taking the time to help. I have always fumbled through this stage so I thought to ask. Much appreciation to you ButtaFlave... this is why I lurk here. Gosh that part sounds awful. ( ya know what I mean )

Pay it forward..
PatientOne

straincreation

straincreation

Imo i start to count as soon as they break earth. Its really your preference tge first couple weeks of life isnt gonna be any spectacular growth, but as soon as she gets her legs shes off to the races. I dont really mess with breeder duggestions much every plant will tell you what she wants/needs when the time comes, but i get it better to be proactive then reactive.
So lets say you counted since she sprouted. Shes been alive what maybe week week ina half. If your looking to go by a time line, that stems from a suggestion of a breeder. Instead of trying to count the days the plant has been alive, count by what she is doing. What i mean by this is simply wait, once you got her producing knodes at a noticable rate. (I.E. growth every day ) then i would start to count because its then that she will begin to double in size weekly, and all your LST comes into play. So usually that about now, when she gets her first biological solar panels and is able to focus on vegetative growth rather than building a healthy root system. Thtas why its always good to feed your soil, Not your plants.

So in summary i feel that now is the time when she is focusing on VEGETATIVE GROWTH for the first time in her life, kinda. What i mean by kinda is she is always focusing on both, its the only way to survive. This is the first time that she can actually be balanced and have a healthy and secure way (i.e. happy healthy roots) to do the vegetative thing at its full potential . So this is why i feel now would be the time. Just my thoughts.
Happy farmin;)

BTW welcome to the farm my friend.

straincreation

straincreation

Dont really overthink little things like this imo. Thats why i did it for you lol. Unless your on a time crunch then theres no point. You make the call when its time, count or dont count. Say you count 30 days from breaking earth, ok so what happens if it gets hot a couple days, or to cold. Growth slows. Timer fail? Growth slows. One thing about what we do any and all nediums. Some have more problems than others, but all have different variables at play at all times during the grow. At the the end of your "30 days" you feel that shes not ready, or better yet you think shes ready to go at day 25, then what? All your numbers were, not for nothing, but they are kinda erelevant . Best thing to do is mark a date on your name tag that she was either rooted and transplanted if cloning, or day she broke earth if seeds. Then mark a date every time she is transplanted and there you have it all you need to donis a bit of arithmetic .

Hope some of this helps im pretty baked. BOL
Happy farmin;)

P

PatientOne

Hey there,

Thanks Straincreation for the detailed answer. Sure clears the question up in my thinking. I am getting better at using my senses as I gain more experience. Thanks for the warm welcome. That's why I hang out here....cool place and people. Not to mention all the good reading. Take care and a prosperous new year to you !

Bless all of you,
PatientOne

Pimp T

Pimp T

I would call this day 1 veg

P

PatientOne

Thanks Mr. Pimp T..

Okay, now I am off to the races, so to speak! Appreciate you guys.

Pay it forward,
PatientOne

M

Matty j

Hello Farmers,

Longtime lurker, love to read. Now my question: When does veg begin in the timeline frame. I mean you germ your seeds, ie; paper towels, then cups of whatever your medium is, and then the little boogers sprout. OK, now when do you start counting as Veg? I hope I am clear, and thanks for taking the time for a reply.

Bless you all..
PatientOne
Veg starts if its seedling when it has 3 nodes. Veg stars for clones soon as it gets roots. Thats exactly how they do it usally. Some do it bye how ever they want to...its really up to u. But thats how its normally done...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
To me, full vegetative growth starts when the plants switch from growing new shoots directly across from each other to growing on alternate sides of the main stalk. Vegetative growth ends when the light period is cut back and the plants begin to flower or bud. That's the criteria I've used for decades.

Smokecorleone415

Smokecorleone415

I start counting veg 2 weeks after the sprout has broke ground which is by that time is about 3-4 nodes,this is when plants start to intake nutrients and is no longer a seedling

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I start counting veg 2 weeks after the sprout has broke ground which is by that time is about 3-4 nodes,this is when plants start to intake nutrients and is no longer a seedling
That's kinda how I've been counting it, from day zero when I drop the seed in water and until 14 days later I see as seedling stage and treat water/nutes/light like that, then I up it slowly from there and call it veg stage and they decide on their own flowering as I have only grown Autos :-)

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Personally, I start count when their upright, and transpiring. ie. green and the first sets of seed leaves are extended and kicked in...

Look at the following examples:

Day 2->3:
File 0039

Day 1->2:
File 00217

Day 0:

File 00039
RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

I mark it by when the baby’s pop up and say hi. That’s day one of veg for me in my opinion. I know it’s still seedling stage but I count it as day one of veg. And when I see roots on my clones I count that as day one.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
According to what I read technically, the plant is in veg when it makes it's first set of leaves with the right number of lobes, 7 in many cases. It is considered seedling from breaking the soil till it gets the leaves with the right lobe count.
Textbook. 👊
Count the age of the plant from seed drop.
veg begins with first set of full leaves. For nutrients sake.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Textbook. 👊
Count the age of the plant from seed drop.
veg begins with first set of full leaves. For nutrients sake.
I agree, life starts at seed drop, and somewhere around first crack. (usually within 24 hours of each other) Veg starts when the leaves open...

Seeds that take > 48 hours to crack are abnormal, IMO.
Of the over 250 seeds I popped in the last few days 200+ are up and growing within the first 48 hours, and virtually all of them have popped at the 3 day mark. Out of everything, I've got about half dozen holdouts, so far.

Anything outside of that is either too dry, too moist, or some other type of issue,, like temp, or old seed, or something...

It will be interesting to see how the next set pops, because they are almost all entirely composed of seeds up to 20 years old, on average being 10-15 years old. But I have faith that things are going to be alright.

Last edited:
Top Bottom