When Does Veg Start?

• Thread starter PatientOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
The term "vegetative stage" of a cannabis refers to the time frame after onset of normal number of lobe, the seedling stage is prior to that but after germination.

The words like true and growth... Not so great used here. Vegetative growth refers to any green growth in any stage. Stages are not the same

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
I didn't know this, but the plant, given certain signals (light for instance) can change it's path of growth substantially and DIFFERENTLY in each stage

growsince79

growsince79

As I said, for many it is 7. But I said it's, the plants normal number of lobes

As I said, for many it is 7. But I said it's, the plants normal number of lobes
Most plants I see get at least 9- usually 11. So in that case you don't start counting veg time until about day 24-25? That makes as much sense as calling a bass a trout. LOL

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I didn't know this, but the plant, given certain signals (light for instance) can change it's path of growth substantially and DIFFERENTLY in each stage
Yea, I'm big on learning about light also. The best light we've got in the sun IMO, but UV, especially A/B range, and the ratio's are extremely important. Also, once you get up past violet, some of these waves are certainly capable of signaling different stages of development as well.

I think of it like this... photosynthesis in the center, and then you've got Light above it, nutrients/water/conditons below, and you've got the DNA within it.

All three factors combine are effecting how the plant expresses itself, and/or evolves...
Without the proper spectrum, in the proper ratio's, the plant is incapable of expressing certain traits. That's why Indica's love cool damp climates, and Sativa's love warm climates, they've largely evolved that way because of the photo factors, above all else. Think about that for a moment, when you think about flavors, different terpenoids,
and even the various THC ratio's. The impact of light can never be ever underestimated.

It's possibly the #1 factor, if your working from known genetics.

Last edited:
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Has there been any research using crisper with cannabis? Hard to find anything for me. I have to research to find the right terms to get to the scholarly articles in the first place!

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Most plants I see get at least 9- usually 11. So in that case you don't start counting veg time until about day 24-25? That makes as much sense as calling a bass a trout. LOL
It’s not about counting time. Or assigning terminology.
you count how old the plant is from the day you sow the seed.
the Only reason it’s important for growers to understand the stages of development, is so they understand how, and when to feed.

growsince79

growsince79

It’s not about counting time.
you count how old the plant is from the day you sow the seed.
the Only reason it’s important for growers to understand the stages of development, is so they understand how, and when to feed.
The thread has gone way off topic. The op question was what did the breeder mean when he said veg 30 days? I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to start counting 26 days after sprout.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Breeders don’t usually stipulate veg times.
but for 30 days of veg. I would count once it had its first full set.

growsince79

growsince79

Breeders don’t usually stipulate veg times.
but for 30 days of veg. I would count once it had its first full set.
IDK about everyone elses, but my seeds start growing their first set the day they sprout. They are pretty big in 4-5 days. They don't reach max size until the 3rd set is bigger than them. That would be 10-12 days. And they don't get there normal 9 or 11 blades for 3-4 weeks. The op should email the breeder and ask them what they meant.

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

Well I grow mostly autos, but the simplest way I could think to put it is veg starts as soon as the plant sprouts, you can veg as long as you want really, I've seen people veg mother plants for 2-3 years at a time. The plant will only switch to flowering once you switch the light schedule to 12 on 12 off. Now in my case I grow Autos so my plants automatically start to flower regardless if I use 24 hours of light or 12 ...

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Hello Farmers,

Longtime lurker, love to read. Now my question: When does veg begin in the timeline frame. I mean you germ your seeds, ie; paper towels, then cups of whatever your medium is, and then the little boogers sprout. OK, now when do you start counting as Veg? I hope I am clear, and thanks for taking the time for a reply.

Bless you all..
PatientOne

The thread has gone way off topic. The op question was what did the breeder mean when he said veg 30 days? I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to start counting 26 days after sprout.

When does veg begin in the timeline frame. is the question, and the answer is:

Seedlings
Healthy seedlings will begin to grow the well-known ridged fan leaves. As the plant develops, it’s leaves will hold more blades in odd numbers, starting with one and increasing to five or seven. Eighteen hours of light are also necessary at this point. Seedlings are sensitive to over watering, mold and disease. Plants will be seedlings for two or three weeks, and once the fan leaves have five blades or more, the plant enters the vegetative stage.

Seedling stage
Here’s how the seedling stage begins: when the seed opens, the first pair of small round leaves that appear are called “cotyledons”. After that, the little Cannabis plant starts producing serrated leaves, not the characteristic digitate leaves, only single serrated leaflets. As the seedling grows, new leaves with more leaflets start to develop until the plant produces digitate leaves with serrated borders we can all identify as Cannabis fan leaves. When these leaves appear, the plant enters into the vegetative stage. This process may take up to three weeks.[/QUOTE]

J

jeffarmer420

I veg my non auto's in 20gal pots for 64 days. It really all depends on how much space you have to work with. Autos will let you know when they are ready as the hairs will start coming in. So far I'm 2 months into flower, looks like maybe 2-3 weeks possibly a month left to harvest. Wall to wall & almost touching the lights in my 4'x4'x72". As a general rule 1 week veg per gallon of soil. 5gal pot = roughly 35days of veg. 10gal 70 so on so fourth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom